Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have an interesting situation; I have a #22 spring that I believe is "torqued" up inside my XD. After my least shoot I clean my pistol and then began to reassemble it. The end of the spring seemed a little off but I did not give it much concern. I reassemble the pistol. It felt "funny" for some reason when I was working the action. Long story short is won't "disassemble". The action works and you feel the spring catching on the inside but I can't move the lever to disassemble. I brought to my armorer for him to look at. Obviously the spring is a goner. I guess complete disassembly is required. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Is the gun unloaded? If so, sit on the couch and while watching your favorite show, rack the slide as much as you can. At some point, the spring/rod will reseat itself. Good luck, this should work for you. :)

Old School

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old School said:
Is the gun unloaded? If so, sit on the couch and while watching your favorite show, rack the slide as much as you can. At some point, the spring/rod will reseat itself. Good luck, this should work for you. :)

Old School
Oh it was cleaned and did not have a magazine near it; I then then reassembled it. I tried the action a bunch of times but did not want to make it inoperable so I decided to take it to a pro. I dropped it off with a guy (a gunsmith) who does work on XD's so he knows what he's doing; I just think that the spring is torqued. It sounded like it was catching on something on the inside because it wouldn't let me push the disassemble lever all the way to "unhinge". I will have to be more careful next time. I will probably have to grab another spring off of you. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Tactical or Service?

Is the guide rod held firm, or does it have some looseness? If it is loose the spring may have been put on backwards and the open loop goes off over the head.

Can you move the lever at all?
The takedown lever has two flats cut in it that a spring sets in. The flats hold it parallel to the slide (assembled position) and also perpendicular to the slide (takedown position). Right at 45° (10:30 position) that spring is setting on a peak that is at the OD of the takedown lever, and the lever can be pushed out. It is a bit of a pain to get it right on that peak, but it can work. I have have to do this myself while playing around with prototype springs.
I think that once you have it started out, try to turn the lever down to the 6:00 position to get the round back edge againt the spring so that it should come all of the way out. I don't know if this last step will actually work, I have never done it but it should help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don said:
Tactical or Service?

Is the guide rod held firm, or does it have some looseness? If it is loose the spring may have been put on backwards and the open loop goes off over the head.

The takedown lever has two flats cut in it that a spring sets in. The flats hold it parallel to the slide (assembled position) and also perpendicular to the slide (takedown position). Right at 45° (10:30 position) that spring is setting on a peak that is at the OD of the takedown lever, and the lever can be pushed out. It is a bit of a pain to get it right on that peak, but it can work. I have have to do this myself while playing around with prototype springs.
I think that once you have it started out, try to turn the lever down to the 6:00 position to get the round back edge againt the spring so that it should come all of the way out. I don't know if this last step will actually work, I have never done it but it should help.
Hi Don:

It's Service V-10 .40, the takedown lever will not move into the takedown position. I think I'll manage to push out the lever, I will find out more next week. I didn't want to make it worse. It just might have been put in backwards; I need to have Overkill’s video running in my head every time I reassemble, :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don said:
Tactical or Service?

Don:

I checked it out and played with it and the spring had been put on backward, need to pay more attention on reassembly.

THX for your insight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts