Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out the Wolff guide rod and 19# spring (XDService 40) and was impressed. No offense to Don (I have his setup too). After 100 rounds, zero malfunctions of any kind and recoil was very manageable. I think the 19#is just enough extra power (the Wolff 17# is equvialent to the factory raiting) for me. I bought a 21# spring to test it but I don't think I will bother to use it at least for now. Until I have reason to switch guide rods, I think I will keep the Wolff in.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I finaly got the right spring size and installed it last week. Using 22# Wolff spring for a springfield compact in a XD-9. Cycles smooth and has functioned reliably. A friend at my range who has had Don's Rod (says he got one when Don was giving them away free as promotion in the beginining) since it's conception tried my XD and will now convert to DOn's. Good work Don.

·
Registered
68 Posts
HVAC-TEK said:
does wolf use a bushing for there rod? How do they handle the spring/slide issue? :?:
No bushing needed, the spring diameter is as large as a bushing and the rod fits the slide hole.The spring has a small end that goes on first to hold the spring tight to the rod.I bought the 22#.It is really a bear to get in.I can now shoot my Federal 9BPLE +P+ and the wimpy practice ammo with no problems,throwing the Federal in to the next county.As far as I can tell the slide does not slam closed any harder than the standard spring also the slide release is still easy to use.Wolff seems to have put a lot of time in the design of the spring.The rod is big and heavy.No problems with 500 rounds of various ammo at all.The slide to frame and the barrel lock up is the tightest I have ever felt on any auto except a custom 1911.Now if they would just make one for my sub.If Don ever makes one for the sub he should look at this design.

Ed

·
Registered
442 Posts
blackpanther said:
As far as I can tell the slide does not slam closed any harder than the standard spring also the slide release is still easy to use.
Well, why don't you put your thumb in there and find out for sure? My thumb slipped in the chamber during disassembly with the stock 18# setup and it hurt. So test yours and we'll compare notes :lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got the 22lb and yes it will hurt. It is hard to cycle or lock the slide back. I have not noticed a difference between the full length giude rod and the factory set up in the service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
bluebomberx said:
blackpanther said:
As far as I can tell the slide does not slam closed any harder than the standard spring also the slide release is still easy to use.
Well, why don't you put your thumb in there and find out for sure? My thumb slipped in the chamber during disassembly with the stock 18# setup and it hurt. So test yours and we'll compare notes :lol:
I hope you don't own a Garand.I learned real quick in boot camp to be real fast.

Ed

·
Registered
68 Posts
BigBob68 said:
I got the 22lb and yes it will hurt. It is hard to cycle or lock the slide back. I have not noticed a difference between the full length giude rod and the factory set up in the service.
I have to use the 22# because I use Brian Enos Slide-Guide and it will throw the white box 20'.With 22# spring 6'.The Slide-Glide pretty much eliminates all friction.Also have to increase the spring weight on my CZ's,H&K's and Sigs.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts