Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this actually do for my XD9? Pros? Cons? Shopping around for enhancements for my gun but not sure what I want yet besides new sights. And for only $30 why not right??

·
Registered
512 Posts
I know people that change out every spring on a brand new gun. Personally I don't see the need for it...every gun I've ever owned had the factory springs and worked perfectly. The only time I've ever seen a need is on old mags with worn out springs. If it works, why fool with it?

·
Registered
709 Posts
What does this actually do for my XD9? Pros? Cons? Shopping around for enhancements for my gun but not sure what I want yet besides new sights. And for only $30 why not right??
The stock spring is the 19lbs. spring right? Apparently the XD9, XD40, and XD357 have the same recoil spring. I personally think 19 is a bit strong for a 9mm, but as long as you shoot with a firm wrist, it should pose no problem. However, for me to say that and not reprise would be hypocritical. I'm looking to use a lighter spring for a 9mm conversion of my XD40 and I've done some research on it. Don makes a good guide rod which uses Model 1911 springs and he's not too expensive. May even be less than Wolff? $20 for the guide rod I think and I found an 18lbs. 1911 recoil spring at a local gun shop for $7. There is another thing you can do, but I won't recommend it until I've fully tested and dubbed it safe and effective. The thread for that can be found here: (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/hs2000-sa-xd-accessories/92222-poor-mans-guide-aftermarket-springs.html)

As for what a new spring can do, I'm not too convinced on what people tell me in regard to accuracy and such. I do know that a softer spring will help with jamming when using light loads. As for enhancements, they are WAY overrated. The only thing I'd say if you want to get more bang for your buck would maybe be a competition or match grade replacement barrel. EFK Dragon Barrels are VERY GOOD and I definitely recommend them. Storm Lake makes replacement barrels, but I've never tried one so I have no opinion on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts