Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new guide rod and spring for my XD40. So far I am leaning towards a Dons guide rod but wanted to get all the info I can first.

Has anyone tried the Wolff rod and their XD spring rated at 21#? Pros and Cons to this setup as opposed to the Dons rod and 22# 1911 spring ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Wolff guide rod and spring in 3 service XDs; two 9s and a 40. No problem or malfunctions with any of them. I chose the Wolff over Don's because I didn't want to have to deal with the washers. Sounded like one more part to loose at disassembly to me. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
hextex said:
If I am not mistaken...it's the same spring...just a different rod...
The Wolff spring for their rod design has an end that is sized larger to try to keep it from coming out of the front of the slide. I say "try" because early reports on the forum had some spring ends slipping out with that design. That was before the forum "hack" so those threads are lost and it would take some work from Kermee to recover them, but as I remember there were at least two reports of this problem. I have not heard of this happening recently. There are merits to both the Wolff design and my design, but the springs are not interchangable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry Don...I think this may of confused me....

HokieMS is correct. The springs you see are not actually "Don's Spring", they are stock springs from Wolff or Wilson that are designed to fit the Springfield Compact variety of 1911 pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wolff spring requires no washer to lose...but the Don's Rod just looks so damned nice....decisions,decisions !!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
:D I have the Wolff rod and 22# on my 9mm and I really like it,no problems. I shoot the wimpy practice rounds up to my carry round Federal +P+ 9BPLE.Just make sure you put the small end of the spring on the guide rod first and no it does not slam the slide any harder on chambering a round of hot ammo that practice ammo_Only about two feet differance between the hot ammo and the white box stuff.Before it would throw the federal about 25 feet.Three to five feet is the differance.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts