Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am the proud new owner of one of the first 5000 XDM 40's. I wasn't looking for one of the first 5000 specifically, and from what I have read, I'm not sure it's a good thing to have one of the "first run" version. I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it yet, but I hope to tomorrow.

I have a question about steel case ammo whether it be Wolf or some other brand (I have Wolf). Is there anything negative about steel case ammo I should be aware of? I saw a reference to Wolf being "bad" ammo somewhere in this forum and I am wondering if it will either damage my new pistol or just not cycle well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't use steel case ammo. I've heard that the steel case ammo will wear on your gun a lot more than brass. Makes sense since brass is a much softer metal. I personally will never buy steel case ammo for that reason.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The Wolf steel cases are a very soft steel,but I would think steel has to wear on everything more than brass,and they can't be reloaded.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
It is cheap,a little dirty, and goes bang every time.

You ( and 95% of the other people) will never shoot it enough to have the steel vs brass debate become an issue. I shoot it almost exclusively for many years and have it stacked deep

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The Russians have spent lots of time and money on the study of steel alloys for use in bullets.

They use steel alloys that are very close to the same hardness as the metals they replace.

The Russians use steel in bullet jackets that is comparable to copper.

The Russians use steel in bullet cores that is comparable to lead (but we don't get any of this cheap ammo, due to misguided legislation).

The Russians use steel in bullet cases that is comparable to brass.

Your rumors about 'steel cased ammo will wear out your guns' was started by a manufacturer of AR15 parts who did not provide good quality control. These parts wore quickly, no matter if brass or steel cased ammo was run through them.

Steel cased ammo is fine when used in any quality firearms.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have had feed problems with Wolf Ammo in my XD and not my XDM. My AR does not like any steel case.

If it loads into the chamber Wolf has always worked reasonably well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:)I had a seventy-five year old 1911 that eat everything including steel cased with no ftf or fte just hope my Service XD-40 is as hungry :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
:)I had a seventy-five year old 1911 that eat everything including steel cased with no ftf or fte just hope my Service XD-40 is as hungry :rolleyes:
That is because it used steel cased ammo during WWII.

Steel case will not harm your chamber of gun. That is an urban legend brought on by the American mind set that nothing is as good a s brass.

Steel cases were use by us extensavly during the great wars.

I shot about a 1000 rounds of Wolf through my former USP. It always fed, and it always shoots dirty and stinks to hig heaven but it always go bang. It tends to be a little underloaded. It cycled my USP all the time. I have not tried it in my XD. But I have no qualms about using it in the XP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since your XDm has a match barrel, you may want to run a brush throught it much more often than with a standard model. The chamber is tighter and will not tolerate as much dirt/grime/metal as a non-match chamber. Clean it a little more often.
My NM M1A just loves Barnaul; but, after 200-250 rounds of it vs. a brass cased ammo I notice accuracy strays and I need to brush it out.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I didn't have any real issues with the steel cases, I think I'll stick to brass from now on. The Wolf ammo was very dirty compared to the Winchester white box and since I do reload for everything else, I might as well shoot brass so I can reload them.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I've had a lot of FTF and FTE issues with Wolf ammo in various Glocks in 9mm and .40s&w. I personally don't use Wolf ammo anymore. I've never put it in my XDm 9 because I stopped using it before I got the XDm. I did fire some off in a rental XD-9, since the range I was at you have to buy the ammo from them if you use a rental and of course their ammo prices are wicked high, so I got the cheapest which was Wolf. I didn't have any problems with the XD-9 and about 200 rds of the Wolf ammo. My choice for target ammo is WWB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts