Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this amo any good ? I have an Xd 40 tactial, but was wondering how everybody would rate it. It's on sale box of 50 180gr for 5.98 , is that worth it?

·
Registered
533 Posts
if your not useing it for anything special, go for it, its dirty, so cleen the gun afterwords.
probly not very reliable, I use it in my sks, jams up once in a while, but its cheap..

I say get some cheap brass, you can make up for the price difference if you pick up all your brass and sell it on ebay,

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had no reliability issues in my XD. The only problem I have with Wolf is cleaning the primer sealer out, it gets everywhere.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have probably shot three cases of this stuff in .40 & .45 over the past 5 years, and had no problems with it. It shoots plenty good (around 5-6 inches at 50 yards) for any practical purpose except bullseye, it's cheap, and it always goes "bang".

It is dirty- but it sure ain't as dirty as the lead-bullet reloads I used to shoot by the 1000's, and the clean-up is much easier with the Wolf. Apply Hoppe's No. 9 and brush until problem dissolves.

PS- I don't even have to pick up the "brass" :wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
The price is quite enticing.
GI Joes had a nice sale a while ago. Wolf was the only .40 left so I took a breath and got some.
So, I went through 6 boxes of wolf last time I went shooting. Every shot fired correctly with no problems, and was more accurate than I had expected it to be. But the junk is very messy. you can see primer build up and what not after the first mag. The XD will eat it though.

I would rather spend a buck or two more, if I have the moolah, on WWB or another brand. I wouldn't have to scrub so hard, or contemplate taking the enire gun apart and soaking it in diesel n' oil. Not that Id go as far as the dunking, but it makes me feel that way. :?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never had a misfire or failure with Wolf ammo, but don't think i'll ever shoot it again. It's smoky, dirty, nasty stuff. Shooting it sometimes you can feel the slide/action doesn't cycle consistently. Accuracy is a crap shoot.

Like I said bang every time, but depending on caliber there are better choices just slightly more. For an AK or SKS though i'd shoot nothing but the stuff through it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have fired more then 40,000 rounds of Wolf of different calibers without any adverse effects to the accuracy or reliablity of any of my weapons. It is a good reliable and accurate ammunition. I have never any quality control problems with them unlike soem other manufacturers. I would stay away from any Blazer ammo as I have had major quality control issues with their stuff (bullets should not be seated at different heights in the same box nor should they be seated upside down).

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I had my Beretta 96FS I also bought a case of .40S&W Wolf ammo. The 96 eat that stuff without 1 failure to feed or eject, but whatever powder they use, it stinks, it's dirty, and the primer sealer does cause for extra cleaning. This particular gun did not like CCI Blaser at all, but I shoot with several guys with Glock's that use nothing but CCI Blaser.

Being a reloader, I may or may not choose to reload 9mm, but I'll most likely buy brass cased ammo and collect it incase I ever do decide to reload it. 9mm is cheap and plentiful, and it's probably not worth the effort, but it can't hurt to have the brass on hand if for some reason it becomes hard to get.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've probably only shot maybe 300 rounds of wolf .40 and my experiences were mixed. On one hand, it's pretty cheap so the occaisional FTE really didn't bother me that much. After a while though it started to crop up more often. Someone explained it to me that Wolf is actually reused and reshaped casings and that some of them aren't reshaped properly meaning they are a little too big and stick in the chamber. When this happened to me, I really had to pry them out of the chamber, so it was no small wonder that my extractor wasn't able to hold on to them. That said, I never shot Wolf again because it just wasn't worth it to me to screw wround with that. However, this was before I owned an XD, which I understand to be less picky. So, for what it's worth, I would say that Wolf ammo is a crapshoot but you never know till you try. Some say their XD's have preference of one to another and some say their XD's will shoot anything. For the price of Wolf, I'd think it's worth a box or five to find out. Also, in agreement with some of the above posts, Wolf is really really dirty and you're probably in for some extra cleaning if you shoot this stuff. That's it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I shoot about 2000 rounds of it a year in various calibers - mostly 9mm through my XD. No problems. A bit dirty, but a quick soak in Breakfree CLP and a little brush work is all it takes to make everything shiny again.

Brad

·
Registered
100 Posts
I saw a Marlin Camp .45 literally shredded by Wolf. I know many people have shot tons of it, my guns and my life are worth more than what money I save.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
demented said:
I saw a Marlin Camp .45 literally shredded by Wolf. I know many people have shot tons of it, my guns and my life are worth more than what money I save.
Then don't shoot Blazer either. I have run into Blazer with bullets seated at different heights in the same box and several bullets were seated upside down. For my money Wolf is safer.

G

·
I trust blazer a little more than wolf. Also anyone else notice just how the wolf ammo tends to feel underpowered. All i know is that when i shoot wolf it has less recoil, and a lot bigger flash. I never had a problem with blazer. Infact the only ammo I ever had a problem with was winchester 180grain FMJ target ammo. I have also heard about this exact same problem in .40SW with the same kind of ammo many times at different ranges. Every ammo manufacturer makes a bad batch. But with winchesster the problem was that the casing was not milled correctly, so the primer exploded not setting off the powder. cause was the primer port was not drilled all the way through or that the primer was bad. It just pitted my extractor a little, which winchester actually manned up and got me a new extractor. But wolf is dirty and nasty and seems inconsistant for its performance. Blazer, never had a problem, also seems like it has a little more kick to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well,to answer your question,this is the problem with wolf ammo.
it has a laquor coated casing.what this means is every shot you shoot,a little of that laquer cook off inside your barrel,where the shell feeds into.
over time,shell after shell,this builds up to the point where shells do not feed properly into your barrell anymore,and this stuff is almost impossible to get out!
i would highly reccomend NOT using this ammo,though cheap,you are only going to have big problems down the road!..stick to non-laquer coated casings.
(not to mention there powder is very smokey,and tends to gum things up alot quicker then other ammo ive used)

·
Registered
15 Posts
indianamike said:
....it has a laquor coated casing.what this means is every shot you shoot,a little of that laquer cook off inside your barrel,where the shell feeds into.
While that may have been true at one time, I believe it no longer is.

I've thousands of rounds of Wolf through a G24 and a bit over one thousand through an XD. No problems in either.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought 100 rounds of Wolf .223 in 20-round cases (I was poor at the time), which is the extent of the ammo I've ever bought from them. One round had a seriously FUBAR'ed bullet that appeared to have been miscrimped. I still have it and will post a picture of it when I get home, but that's a 1% FUBAR rate which is completely unacceptable in my book. I realize this was partially luck of the draw, but it still makes Wolf avoidable in my book.

Oh, and to echo the sentiments of others, the stuff is horribly dirty. Whatever you save on Wolf ammo, you'll end up spending on cleaning solutions.

-James

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried 2 boxes in my xd9sc. couldn't hardly get 10 into the mag. When they were gone switched to CCI brass blazers, 10 slid in slick and easy.

G

·
wolf ammo i found is a weak load to. it hardly has any kick. blazer ammo has more kickand has a much higher velocity. oh and the new wolf ammo is polymer coated insted of laquer coated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts