Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am relatively new to shooting but i have run about a thousand rounds thru my xd. 40 service model. Ive used WWB, Magtech, and Independent rounds with no problems. I saw an add for that russain Wolf ammo with the blackend case and i was wondering what people's thoughts are on them. A buddy of mine told me to avoid that stuff at all costs. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ditto what Jake said. I'd put it through a military rifle but probably not my XD. It will work I'm sure, but it is very dirty and not worth the extra cleaning hassle IMO.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't mind them, but around here, CCI Blazer is cheaper. Wolf is dirty though, but has almost no recoil. Smells funny too, but not as bad as people say it does.

·
Registered
298 Posts
dolanp said:
Ditto what Jake said. I'd put it through a military rifle but probably not my XD. It will work I'm sure, but it is very dirty and not worth the extra cleaning hassle IMO.
You'll put it through your military rifle, but not your military pistol? The XD was designed for eXteme Duty, built loose for a reason just like a military rifle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you the kind of guy that will buy a corvette or a trans am and then run 87 octane in it to save a couple bucks at the pump then buy all means shoot wolf through your gun. But in the long run you thank your self for useing higher grade products.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
DJTHEMAC said:
thanks for the info! what is the verdict on remanufactured ammo?
I would shoot wolf before any reloads. Even from the best remanufactured ammo dealers, can get a bad case. I've had jams and case separations (.223) from reloads bought at gunshows. I will not buy reloads anymore and havn't for years.
I really like Wolf ammo. Good price, good quality, I never smell anything funny and all ammo gets your guns dirty, I just clean them after shooting. $80 per 1,000 at gunshows. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
jcwolves said:
Anyone,

What is WWB?
Winchester white box ammo. availible in lots of 200? 250? from places like wallyworld (walmart)

·
Registered
22 Posts
White Box.

I think I read every bit of the winchester web page and didn't guess white box.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used wolf ammo in my xd-40 To make a long story short the guy behind the counter fussed at me for using it and said it would mess up my gun. I figured he was just mad I did not purchase ammo from them. I shot 2 boxes through now my xd jams with any defence ammo I have run through it. I have cleaned it and I have never seen a pistol this dirty After 100 rounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well both my 4" XD 40 and .45 champion GI like wolf (over 1k rounds plus other brands) Only problem ive had out of either is a stove pipe or 2 in each gun (I only use it for plinking) and never had any brand they didnt like. Yes its dirty but it only takes me 10-20 min to clean (total dissasembly) both guns.

Josh

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dont shoot wolf pistol ammo. But for 7.62 and 223 ammo I use a ton of wolf in my AR's and AK's. I would also choose wolf over any reloading company. I cant really comment on the pistol ammo but as far as all the cases rifle ammo I have shot I have found it more reliable then a lot of other reputable brands. Its not as clean and it does smell funny but I dont mind that to much. I have shot around 1300rnds of wolf in one day in my AK without any cleanings and it was still going strong.

I would choose wolf over several brass cased ammo's

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I know people don't like this stuff but...

I shot 50 rounds wolf (40sw) and 40 magtech and it was half as dirty when I cleaned it than last week when I went through 100WWB and 50 Magtech. Not exactly a double blind study or anything but I was suprised because of how much harping everyone has been doing.

Once I get my 1000rdns of Wolf I'll be able to give better details. Maybe I'll even post some pics so people can compare.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've shot Wolf in .223, 7.62x39, .30 carbine (new loading), 9mm, .380 and love evey minute of it. Still can't figure out what what is meant by a funny smell, cause I sure don't notice it. This is great stuff in my opinion and the price is great on the wallet. :D
Only draw back is that it isn't the most accurate ammo in the world, but for plinking (what I mostly do) it's the best bang for the buck. 8)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I've pretty much ran Wolf exclusively through my XD40 service. It hasn't given me any problems. I for one, do notice a distinct odor after firing a few rounds. I can deal with that for the money it saves me.

I don't reload and the range I go to has no problems with steel casings so I go for it. The only thing is that the steel casings are not as smooth as the brass ones so loading it in the mag is a bit harder and it MIGHT interfere with the ejection process.

However, I do feel kinda cheap at the range, cuz I'm the only one sweeping up steel casings, and everyone else is using brass. Ah well.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I don't see any problems with using Wolf ammo. I have fired in excess of 7000 rounds of the stuff in my XD40, as well as a Sig226 and a Taurus PT140. It is no dirtier than UMC or Winchester White Box and my XD shoots it to POA very nicely indeed. I can group it about 2" at 15 yards with the XD or a little smaller with the Sig. The Taurus is a DAO short barrelled pistol so the groups open up a little with it, something like 3" at the same distance.

I shoot outdoors on an IPSC range so I haven't noticed any difference in the "smell" of the ammo, but I sure do appreciate not haveing to bend over a pick up the cases.

The newer Wolf ammo has a polymer coat which makes it a little slicker going into the chamber than the older stuff which had a laquer coating on it. Either way, I have never had a failure to feed, go into battery, failure to fire, or extract with Wolf ammo in my XD.

There are no "horror stories" about Wolf ammo that I can see on any of the forums that I regularly attend, which is more than I can say for various "remanufactured" or reloaded ammunition from several sources.

Wolf ammo is made by one of the oldest and largest manufacturers of military ammunition in the world. It is Russian, has a mild steel case, and has always gone bang when asked to and not otherwise.

Back in WWII, our own army used steel cased ammo when it became a problem to get enough brass. The only problems were early batches of the US stuff that were being fed to the venerable 1911 autos which occassionally broke an extractor. This was cured by later batches, or by oiling the chambers of the guns lightly before firing. I have never read of a problem like this with Wolf ammo in the 4 years I have been using it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
like other people, My sks loves it and so does my wallet but ive never tried wolf pistol ammo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts