Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my XD-9 sc to the range today and had a few problems. I'm not sure what to call it. The round got stuck between the top of the mag and the feed ramp. Jammed it up pretty good. Once I finally got the mag out and was able to get the bullet out I noticed a slight scratch and dent on it. Then my magazine jammed and the spirng would not go up. Had to bang it on the bench a little to get it to pop back up. This happened 3 times. I'm going to assume this was the wolf ammo that I shot for the first time. I bought some because it was only $5.88 a box. I have gone through 800 rounds of WWB,100 rounds of Magtech jhp and 10 Aguila IQ without one problem. I put 250 rounds of wolf and had the problems at about the 200 mark. Ran about fifty WWB to finish things up. One thing I noticed is that the brass stuff slides in way smoother than the steel wolf. Have either of these things happened to anyone else? I don't think I'll shoot wolf ammo anymore.[/i]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with Wolf ammo, Bubba. It seems like every time I think about trying Wolf ammo, I see a post like yours. I don't think I'll chance it. Walmart charges 10.96 for their 100-rd white box here in SW Idaho. All my 9's really like white box (xd-9 service, xd-9 tactical, Beretta 92FS Inox, Sig 226 Sport Stock). Have you tried the "Impoved Accuracy Bullet" white box? The bullets are copper colored rather than bronze and my xd-9 tactical really likes them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Sure you don't just have a bunch of filth gumming up the mags?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I got home I cleaned my guns after shooting them as always. Took the mag apart and cleaned it. Wasn't very dirty. The one that jammed up has a pierce grip extention on it. Wonder if that contributed. Still the Wolf didn't load into the mag a smoothly as the brass stuff. I like the WWB. I just hate going to Walmart!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
bubbastain said:
I just hate going to Walmart!
Around here the WalMart is loaded with college coeds. It brings a new meaning to "bubbastain" when I go there. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sounds like some kind of magazine problem. Maybe the spring is reversed? The Pearce grip extention should not have caused any problems since it is just a modified floorplate. If the follower was not moving up, something is causing it to stop. (debris, bent spring, out of spec follower, metal burr on the magazine wall.......) The last 50 rounds of Winchester White Box fed properly?
I don't see why Wolf ammo is causing you problems. If after checking the mag and throughly cleaning your pistol, your XD still jams, then it is time to drop Wolf off the menu.
I shoot Wolf almost exclusively and never had a problem in both of my XDs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree, it sounds like a cleaning or magizine problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like the bullets are binding in the mag..most likely due to a length problem. Different brands of cartridges have different over-all lengths..even the same brands but a different bullet weight will be different. What happens is the cartridge is too long to fit smoothly inside the mag body.
This can be due to several assorted problems and is seen a lot with "super duper extra special hand loads". They're just too long..period!
Another cause is the mag is bowed inwards on either the front or back side. This is a sneaky one because there is no obvious damage and the follower slides smoothly when empty.
A very common cause is that the mag spring is installed wrong. There is a proper angle for the follower and the spring matches that. A backwards spring will change that angle which can cause all kinds of feeding problems. Yes, it can work fine with this ammo but not that ammo.
One thing that I do with all of my mags (rifle & pistol) is to smooth out any rough edges on the inside of the feed lips. I've seen some that had edges sharp enough to cut a line into the shell rim as it's sliding over it.
Good luck and keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
http://www.shootiniron.com[/url]

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
little off topic but, i hear that the steal casings are very hard on extractors and tend to wear them a lot faster. can anyone concur?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From all of the responses I've heard and from what I remember, I believe the bottom 2 or 3 rounds somehow binded up. My magazine wasn't dirty, the spring is installed correctly and I could not find any thing that might snag the follower. I did notice that there seemed to be much more friction while loading with the Wolf ammo compared to any brass. Maybe a couple didn't "stack" correctly in the magazine. That along with the increased friction of the steel casings could have caused it. The follower got stuck 3 times within going through 2 10 round magazines. I just won't use it anymore. At $5.88/50 it's not cheaper than WWB. One good thing about this is that since this is "practice" ammo, I was able to practice what to do if my gun becomes jammed. :?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had malfunctions with wwb in my 9, never had a one with the copper jacket wolf. On the other hand, my Ruger .40 does not seem to like the wolf at all.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I love Wolf. Never had a problem with it. Have had problems with all the US made loads of one sort of another. Stay away from Blazer, they have lousy quality control, have found rounds with wrong height bullet seating and even bullets seated upside down. Too bad I can not use Wolf anymore, my range changed their policy on Jan 1. They are too stupid to figure out that magnets will sepparate out steel cases from brass and they are trying to maximize their profits on empty brass. I am now sweeping up all my brass and leaving them nothing just on priciple. I joined them as life member because they used to be Wolf friendly. I have no idea why this excellent ammo is so maligned by the usual bunch out there. I have seen more squib loads and other malfunctions from home loaded rounds then anything else. I also think that most of the domestic manufacture range ammo is underpowered compared to Wolf and other Euro manufactured. Wolf is at least Milspec, maybe not US milspec, but soviet milspec. One thing about the soviets, their weapons may not be pretty, but they WORK!! And they WORK all the time, no matter the conditions. I think the ammo they use may have something to do with that, no? :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rooster,
I think you could be correct about the extractor -- it makes sense with the steel being harder and stiffer than brass.
That would be correct except the cases are coated with soft laquer, and it's the laquer that comes into contact with your guns innards, not the steel of the case.

I shoot 2K-plus rounds of Wolf through my XD9 every year. No problems other than the distinctive smell.

I agree, sounds like a mag issue.

Brad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Brad Johnson said:
Rooster,
I think you could be correct about the extractor -- it makes sense with the steel being harder and stiffer than brass.
That would be correct except the cases are coated with soft laquer, and it's the laquer that comes into contact with your guns innards, not the steel of the case.

I shoot 2K-plus rounds of Wolf through my XD9 every year. No problems other than the distinctive smell.

I agree, sounds like a mag issue.

Brad
but, nearly all wolf is now no longer laquered. Either way, the steel case is fairly soft/mild steel compared to the hardened parts of a gun, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I only use Wolf in my AK's, and SKS's...For my pistols I use WWB, and Blazer. They're just as cheap, and alot less dirty....

·
Registered
11 Posts
wolf is the cheapest junk ammo i have ever come across, and i have seen it all. Granted if you like shooting it then by all means continue, however there is nothing cheaper, it smells like bleach when you shoot it, probably the arsenic.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Qasoswat said:
wolf is the cheapest junk ammo i have ever come across, and i have seen it all. Granted if you like shooting it then by all means continue, however there is nothing cheaper, it smells like bleach when you shoot it, probably the arsenic.
I shoot at an indoor range.

I noticed the other day that they had put up a new sign: "No Wolf Ammo".

Not that I have ever used it, but I did mean to ask why they had that policy. But I just spaced it out by the time I got to talk to anyone.

They have a pretty thick piece of steel with holes in it (and a lot of dents), and that is part of their other sign, which says you cannot use steel core ammunition. I don't really need an explanation of that rule. But the Wolf?

Arsenic? I know that the range has (and needs) some pretty serious ventilation, but is there really arsenic in the ammo? (If so, why?). Then again, aren't Glocks finished with a process that uses cyanide? Can that heat up and get into the air :roll:

Anyway, I will probably stop by and shoot on my way home from work tomorrow. I will try and remember to ask why the "no Wolf" policy.

Peace,
D.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts