Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried it twice in my XD40. Seemed accurate enough. VERY dirty ammo. Which is why it probably stuck the fired cartridge after started the 2nd magazine of the stuff. I then tried it in my Firestorm 40S&W and the SAME thing happened!
Used the rest in my CZ 75B and it seemed to do okay, but only did two magazines worth. I didn't want to tempt fate.

I won't be getting any more of this stuff. Don't want to have to take my rubber mallet and punch as part of the range bag. :x :x

·
Registered
268 Posts
Friends dont let friends shoot wolf

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I put about 350 rds of wolf through my XD .40 last week. Number of problems = 0. I'll continue to buy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've shot 1000 rounds of wolf through my Glock 21. after that, ejected cartridge always hit the shooter. i replaced the ejector, gun ejects like normal. it looks like it deformed the tip of the ejector a bit.
that'll teach me for shooting steel cased ammo.

it sure as hell dirty though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been hearing lots of mixed reviews about the stuff. It's cheap, but CCI Blazer is too, and it won't jam! Make sure you get a good cleaning in after shooting that Wolf stuff, Dockem. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I currently have almost 15k rounds of Wolf in 9mm,.45ACP,7.62x39 and .223.
I buy it because it is cheap and when I shoot outdoors it is what I use.

It is not junk ammo.

I have probably shot 30k to 35k in my various guns.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like it for 223, 5.45, and 7.62. I runs great for me as far as those rounds go. I have never used it in the pistol caliber nor will I ever unless they start making one in the 7.62x25

·
Registered
15 Posts
Posted below is the text of an e-mail I got from an LEO buddy in Texas. It looks like his department didn't get the word about WOLF ammo being magically "bad."

I shoot WOLF 9mm all the time. I've shot up almost 5,000 rounds through one pistol in just under six months. I have yet to break an extractor or have a failure to extract or eject, etc. WOLF ammo is fine and can't be beat for the money.

We carry the Glock 22 for duty use. Off duty the officers are able to carry any weapon, as long at is approved and registered with the department, in 9mm or larger caliber. The Wolf ammo we use is strictly for qulifications. We qualify twice a year with handguns and each time the officers fire approximately 200 rounds in skills test and scenarios + a 50 round qualification course. On duty we carry 180 gr. hydroshock and this ammo is replaced once a year at qualifications. I personally think Wolf ammo is very accurate and it is the only ammo I shoot in my target .22 cal. rifle. It will shoot a one bullet diameter 5 shot group at 25 yards everytime as long as I do my part.

I have shot a lot of Wolf 223 in my personal AR15 and have not had any problems. My department uses 308 cal. patrol rifles and as of yet we have not tried any Wolf yet, only because we have not been able to get any. When we can we will switch to Wolf for our rifle training ammo.

We switched to Wolf about 2 years ago when we switched to the Glock handgun. We had to run all officers through a 1000 round transitional course and we shopped around for the best price and the best price was by far Wolf. We have been buying it for $54.00 a 1000 shipping included.

Robbie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can use Wolf ammo, more power to you. If I didn't have problems with stuck cartridges, I'd still be using it. For some reason it doesn't work well in my XD40. Don't really care if it's dirty, I clean my guns after every trip to the range anyway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is your wolf silver or greenish? I noticed that some places are still selling the lacquered ammo instead of the newer polymer stuff.

-=Whittey=-

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I've put about 1500 rounds of wolf through my XD tac so far. I only had one stick and one ftf. However each gun is different so I'm lucky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whittey said:
Is your wolf silver or greenish? I noticed that some places are still selling the lacquered ammo instead of the newer polymer stuff.

-=Whittey=-
The ammo I bought was the "new" silver, polymer coated rounds. I have been having numerous FTF also with it, in various pistols.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wolf= some good some bad. my reloads=all good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dockem said:
Whittey said:

-=Whittey=-
The ammo I bought was the "new" silver, polymer coated rounds. I have been having numerous FTF also with it, in various pistols.
The Russian ammo with the silver-colored cases isn't WOLF ammo. That's the "Silver Bear" line of ammo from Barnaul with a zinc plated case. WOLF's polymer coating is almost black.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then something is fishy here. It came in a poly sealed pack of 10 boxes that are each definitely marked as Wolf ammo. The cartridges are a silver color. Bought it from Natchez.
I used the silver Bear brand before with good results, but not in my XD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ammo can make a big difference. I used to buy CCI Blazers for my Smith & Wesson 1076 10mm until one day I pit them up against some American Eagle 10mm target ammo that I bought at Cabella's. I kept thinking my Smith needed a sight adjustment since EVERY round went low left. Shot the AE rounds right after a group of the CCI's and every round hit the target in the center where I was shooting. I won't shoot CCI's anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A guy I work with and I split a case of wolf 40 about 4 years ago. I have shot almost 400 rounds of it through my Glock 22 with no problems. Last weekend another friend and I went shooting and he has a new S&W Sigma in 40. We shot about 30 rounds of the Wolf 40 and the gun locked up. The case seemed to be caught in the chamber of the barrel. We got that fixed and tried again only to have the same problem. A guy at the range told me not to shoot the Wolf with the lacquer seal in the green steel cases. He stated that the lacquer causes problems in some pistols chambers. The guy from work who I split the case with comes to work and tells me he needs my help. He got a new XD40 SC and it is also locked up. He advised that he shot the wolf 40 through it with no problems and then the pistol locked up. It seemed to be the same problem. We got the slide back and had to punch the case out of the barrel chamber. The chamber had some type of crap on it. He cleaned the pistol barrel/chamber very very well and told me he shot some winchester through the pistol with no problems.

Well I've got a couple of boxes of wolf 40 left and I guess I'll finish shooting it in my Glock as It seems to be the only thing that it will shoot out of without problems. I wonder if the Glock chamber might be a bit bigger than the XD or Sigma chambers?? Any ideas? :(

G20

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I've had that happen only once and it turned out I somehow missed cleaning and lubing my chamber. It was horrible. After cleaning no problems so far with...roughly 1500 rounds of wolf total.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have run tons of Wolf .40 through my Glock with no problems. I tried it with my new XD40SC and it jammed bad at about 20 rds. The casing became lodged in the barrel and the slide would not move. I had to muscle the slide open after drenching it in silicone. Then I had to punch the casing out. It left some gunk in my barrel that was a nightmare to clean out - nightmare experience. You get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts