Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newbie to ARs, and one who wants to get in on one before Obama, I have been reading all I can. However, I can hardly find a neophyte-oriented answer as to what's best to do first (how to start)?

I saw the deal on ar15.com - AR15.COM :: Forums :: GROUP BUY STAG/CMT M-4 RIFLE KIT LESS STRIPPED LOWER $599 shipped OFFERED TO ELECTION DAY

I found out all I would have to add was a stripped lower and put it all together and voila, AR happiness. However, it was harder to tell if this was actually a good deal or not???? $600 for the above linked parts + stripped lower at $120 = $720 total. This seems like a reasonable price, so I would have to ask, would this be a high quality AR?

I'm just going to use it for fun, essentially (and in case the world fall apart). Will this last, impressions? Anything I, a beginner, should know about this deal that perhaps is so obvious that others haven't mentioned?

Thank you guys in advance and sorry for the seemingly repetitive new-guy question!

-Ross

·
Registered
555 Posts
As you said just get a stripped lower and use one of the many how tos out there to put the lower together and you're good to go.

I ordered one of the kits you posted and am waiting to get it in. This will be my first build but search on AR15.com or youtube for lower builds and you'll see there really isn't much to it.

If you want to get a rail to mount lights etc. they offer an upgrade for the combo in the link. Just something to think about if you want to add anything in the future.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you were to buy the rifle as a complete set up you would pay about $850 for it

Stag makes excellent quality stuff I have two of them and love them

And putting the lower together is way easy to do

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to get a rail to mount lights etc. they offer an upgrade for the combo in the link. Just something to think about if you want to add anything in the future.
True, I plan to mount optics, but hadn't really thought about lights on the front grip, etc. How about price to quality ratio and durability issues, etc? Good deal for price, etc? I assume it's cheaper because you built it yourself, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Also -- anyone from Houston that has purchased a stripped lower for cheap locally, let me know -- otherwise I'll just order one online.

Thank you for the reply, please keep them coming.

-Ross

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were to buy the rifle as a complete set up you would pay about $850 for it

Stag makes excellent quality stuff I have two of them and love them

And putting the lower together is way easy to do
Awesome. Thanks for the info on quality. I post my other reply at the same time you posted this.

I was mildly concerned with putting it together, but it seems like as long as I follow directions, it's easy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
You referenced Pete at AR15 sales. Great guy and great service. :D
I have purchased from him before and will again.

If you want a great lower cost lower get an Essential Arms lower. You can get it to your FFL for less than $100. I have two so far.... :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info on quality. I post my other reply at the same time you posted this.

I was mildly concerned with putting it together, but it seems like as long as I follow directions, it's easy.

Thank you.
yep it easy takes about 20 minutes and all you need is a pair if vice grips hammer, screwdriver stock wrench and some tape

A set of Allen wrenches will make installing the front pivot pin easier to

Search arfcoms DIY section has some good instructions and videos

Buying it this way save you the federal excise tax that you would have to pay on a complete rifle

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yep it easy takes about 20 minutes and all you need is a pair if vice grips hammer, screwdriver stock wrench and some tape

A set of Allen wrenches will make installing the front pivot pin easier to

Search arfcoms DIY section has some good instructions and videos

Buying it this way save you the federal excise tax that you would have to pay on a complete rifle
Please, not the vice grips.......:!: :wink:

How ever you do it, just support the "ears" so you are not another statistic with a broken "ear" off your lower. 8)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Please, not the vice grips.......:!: :wink:

How ever you do it, just support the "ears" so you are not another statistic with a broken "ear" off your lower. 8)
actually I have no idea why I said vice Grips

Replace the vice grips with angled needle nose pliers

Thanks for pointing out my error

The pliers are only to hold the roll pin for the bolt release until you can get it started

1 - 9 of 9 Posts