Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got off work (corrections officer at maximum security prison in amarillo), pulled into my parking spot in front of my house. im in my uniform, its 6 am and i get out of my truck and all of a sudden a black guy appears out of nowhere. and he was closing in slowly on my proxemics. my personal oc gas was in my house, wish i had it, but he came up and asked if i had jumper cables to give him a boost. and im watching his body language. hes fishing around with his eyes around my truck. i put my hand on my empty gas holster and told him sorry but i didnt have any booster cables. so he said "ok thank you" and continues back to his home.

totally freaked me out. for one, i live in a closed off mobile home community and didnt recognise him from adam. and second i was in uniform. alot of officers get beat down by ex-offenders in teh free world.

so yeah God was looking out for me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Corrections Officers here in Nevada FINALLY were raised to the level of LEOs and told to carry off duty just for that reason. There are always people out there that are pissed at LEOs/DoCs.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
brandon14295 said:
yeah its too bad texas sucks ass at making those legislative decisions.
Texas has been constantly making improvements in our CHL law. We added SB405 last year that makes it legal to carry in city and state gov't buildings (Aside from prisons and courthouses) and the AG has been zooming along adding new states with reciprocal agreements. I've been fairly happy with our legislation involving gun laws. Now if we could just get a good law passed allowing lawful carry in schools...

brad cook

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Glad nothing went down and that you're ok...you just never know when.

I'm considering having a go at the CCW application. Someone here gave me the best idea I've heard yet for a justification (which I do need to give)--I'm an avid hunter and shooter, and I often travel around the state with my firearms. One loaded to protect the rest, yada yada. Might do the trick, might not. I wonder what happens when you get denied...get put on a watchlist or something?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
BTW, what good would a gun have been in this situation? Would you have pulled it out just because you're suspicious of the guy?

brad cook

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think he was just saying he felt 'naked' with this unknown guy approaching him and not havinig his sidearm just in case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
R/T Performance said:
:twisted: If you show it to someone thats branishing in MI. misdomener
:twisted: Draw thats felony assult with a fire arm!
:cry: Can you say jail time?
:twisted: The guy attacks you, throws you on the ground
:twisted: Proceeds to smash your head with your car door
:cry: Can you say dead?

Just having a firearm does not mean you must draw it as soon as someone comes up, but maybe it could save you in a situation that went past that.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
branden said:
R/T Performance said:
:twisted: If you show it to someone thats branishing in MI. misdomener
:twisted: Draw thats felony assult with a fire arm!
:cry: Can you say jail time?
:twisted: The guy attacks you, throws you on the ground
:twisted: Proceeds to smash your head with your car door
:cry: Can you say dead?

Just having a firearm does not mean you must draw it as soon as someone comes up, but maybe it could save you in a situation that went past that.
I think the point was that those things DIDN'T happen. SO why wish that you'd had a gun when nothing happened?

brad cook

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
But but but... it was some BLACK guy!

Would a white guy have scared you as much? :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]But but but... it was some BLACK guy!

Would a white guy have scared you as much? :)
What's wong with being descriptive? Had it been me telling the story, I'd have differentiated as to color, i.e., said "a black dude" or "a white dude".

And for the record, all unknown people make me nervous regardless of color. I'm an equal opportunist paranoid. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's nothing.

I came home about 1 am from work one night and I noticed a guy ( ok, he was black but anyways ) at the base of the stairs near my apartment. I thought it unusual.

I parked my truck, head out as always, and I noticed a guy coming towards me. Ok. Now, I'm getting tense. He asks me if I can give him a ride to his work. ( at this time of hour!!? ). So I played it cool, asked to see his i.d., just to make sure. He didn't have one! Ok Ok...I'll play it cool a little further. So I ask him if he has anything and he pulls out a business card for his work, the address matches up with where he wants to go so I tell him to hop in.

Strange thing was, on the way, I noticed he had a pillow. A pillow??? What the hell. What grown man carries a pillow? Man, I thought, he's going to us that to silence the muzzle blast of his .380 when he jacks me. But he explained that it was for sitting on in the pickup truck they use at work. I guess the seat was tore up or something.

So I start up conversation, making light of the situation, and ask who he was. He said he was my neighbors son. We identified who his father was so I felt slightly better. Then he started talking about his new work and it lined up with the business card again. So I start a conversation about his family, just in case he wanted to pull a quick one ( a little extra insurance ). Found out he has a daughter.

I thought that was going to be my last ride in the Bronco. Kinda like O.J. Simpson. Either I was extremely lucky that he didn't kill me, or he was, given that who else would give him a ride to his newly acquired job given the circumstances.

But the big man upstairs was looking out. Afterall, there was no reason for me to have been paranoid.....right???

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
HamsXD said:
That's nothing.

I came home about 1 am from work one night and I noticed a guy ( ok, he was black but anyways ) at the base of the stairs near my apartment. I thought it unusual.

I parked my truck, head out as always, and I noticed a guy coming towards me. Ok. Now, I'm getting tense. He asks me if I can give him a ride to his work. ( at this time of hour!!? ). So I played it cool, asked to see his i.d., just to make sure. He didn't have one! Ok Ok...I'll play it cool a little further. So I ask him if he has anything and he pulls out a business card for his work, the address matches up with where he wants to go so I tell him to hop in.

Strange thing was, on the way, I noticed he had a pillow. A pillow??? What the hell. What grown man carries a pillow? Man, I thought, he's going to us that to silence the muzzle blast of his .380 when he jacks me. But he explained that it was for sitting on in the pickup truck they use at work. I guess the seat was tore up or something.

So I start up conversation, making light of the situation, and ask who he was. He said he was my neighbors son. We identified who his father was so I felt slightly better. Then he started talking about his new work and it lined up with the business card again. So I start a conversation about his family, just in case he wanted to pull a quick one ( a little extra insurance ). Found out he has a daughter.

I thought that was going to be my last ride in the Bronco. Kinda like O.J. Simpson. Either I was extremely lucky that he didn't kill me, or he was, given that who else would give him a ride to his newly acquired job given the circumstances.

But the big man upstairs was looking out. Afterall, there was no reason for me to have been paranoid.....right???
I just wouldn't have given him a ride. Who the hell asks a stranger for a ride these days anyway?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dolanp said:
I think he was just saying he felt 'naked' with this unknown guy approaching him and not havinig his sidearm just in case.
correct.

as far as the black thing goes, ive never seen a black person in my neighborhood so it was stragne taht he said he lived right down the road couple houses down. never seen him in my life.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I definitely understand your uneasiness. If I had a CCW, my gun would've been one quick movement away. Both in your dilemma and in mine.

I'm also surprised that Corrections Officers in Texas aren't allowed to carry while off duty. Do the lawmakers expect the COs to scurry to their vehicles after work at odd hours of the night?

You prolly are right about him not being from the neighborhood. Your instincts duing situations like these are very sharp and accurate.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i can relate to the naked feeling the poster was talking about
i don't think he ment "if i had my gun i'd shot the somebitch"
i carry here in indiana 99% of the time i go anywhere.....to work, shoppin, dont matter
it's the "ya never know" feeling of some crackerhead doped up on something is what concerns me....especially with my car load of the family
i work nites at a truckstop where just in the last few years, there's been someone bashed in the head with a tire tool for the guys wallet....his brains bashed in for a whopping $2.00
another guy gets a cash advance off of his fuel card....the guy standing in line follows him out to his truck and slices him in the gut for a whoppin $50
and just last week someone hears a baby crying in a dumpster
i too have been robbed at the shop i work at on the lot.....luckily i never really seen the dude.....i missed him by 4 minutes
who's to say i'd been in big trouble if i'd walked into the lobby while he was hackin the lock off my cash drawer
i too feel paranoid about most people i dont know when im by myself
meth is a big problem around here, so is people poppin pills......beatin up old ladies just for a bottle of stuff
i sleep alot better knowing that my windows are locked, my doors, and that my XD isnt too far away.....the same when im out
i get some weird looks when i open carry in town , but that is IMHO part of the deterence
i've had some mean smartass remarks.....people askin if im a cop, is someone after me and so on...and i say none of your beeswax
i dunno...the piece of mind i have while carrying helps me a lot

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Brandon, I'm glad everything worked out for you, but I have a question. Why, I repeat, WHY would you wear your uniform home from work. Unless you don't have lockers at work, I can think of NO good reason to wear one home. If that is the case, then a jacket or sweater would be in order to at least cover your shirt.

I'm not here to lecture you, but please, think officer safety all of the time. Even tho your neighbors may know what your job is and you intend to come straight home all of the time, all you need is that one time when you are forced to stop somewhere on the way home (flat tire, gas you may have forgotten to get, etc.) and a bad guy sees you. You could be hurt or worse, killed.

I know this is off the original subject of your post and is also long, but I believe it's important. Please reconsider your practice of coming home in your uniform. In 27 years of le, I can honestly say with the exception of the academy, I never wore my uniform to or from work. I had to in the Academy because we had to come dressed, but I wore a jacket (and I hated wearing the uniform that way).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just because you have a CCW permit, are carrying, have lots of range time and are named Bat Masterson doesn't mean you will be able to do a quick draw and get the bad guy. :roll:

Encounter tactics is (are) the name of the game, and most of the time this does not involve drawing. Good practiced plans can mean the difference between just talking and destroying yours and their life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts