Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3 weird scratches along the left side of my frame, it almost looks like the take down lever was actuated along the frame when the gun was in battery. they are about 1/4 in apart starting just fwd of the slide release. also my barrel has a weird "ring" around the muzzle area, almost like it swelled and was notched by the slide.

anyone else getting these weird wear marks on theirs? ive only had it for 2 weeks and it has maybe 1,000 rounds throough it.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
As for the "ring" around the muzzle of the barrel. Mine has it too and has had it since day one. That's how they're made. Why? Ask an engineer or gunsmith.

As for the scratches, I don't know and can't help unless you post pics of the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no holster wear, didnt get one till today, but as soon as i unpack my digi, ill post pics. thanks for the barrel wear ring, as long as its not just mine,hahaa. :oops:

ok, just tried to load them, i dont have a way to make them public web access, so how do i do this? the pics arent that good, but show what i mean decent enough.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
The picture was really out of focus. Try from a little farther away next time.

However, from what I saw it looks highly improbable that it was caused during firing. Perhaps something in your holster is scratching it.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, the camera is a crappy one i got when i was in iraq. i think its from my wedding ring, but not sure. they are sweeping scratches, so i think its from my ring when i rack the slide. ill ty and get some better ones though. thanks for the image sight though gsh, it was really helpful

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I can't see how your wedding ring finger is in this area to create those scratches. When "racking" the slide, don't "ride" the slide to chamber a round. What I mean is don't have your hand moving along with the slide as you are chambering a round. You should let spring tension do all the work. Pull back on the serrations at the rear of the slide (use your thumb and forefinger) and let the spring action take over. Just like shooting a slingshot. (Don't forget to keep your trigger finger well clear of the trigger).
Still those scratches are a mystery. Are you using the factory hard case to transport your pistol? (maybe it is scratching in transit?). I always use a soft case because it easier on the finish and it seems to protect it better. Is someone else using your pistol? (maybe they dropped it or it slid onto some hard surface?). Your scratches are just on the raised portion of your slide. (maybe a clue?) We need a gun detective :shock:

If it turns out to be scratches from your wedding ring, it maybe possible to just buff out the marks with some gun oil. Give it a try. Good luck :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a new XD9sc (only about 75 rounds of WWB through it) and have also noticed what appears to be a "rub-ring" circling the barrel about 3/16" from the muzzle.

If I slide my finger-tips along the barrel's length (moving them toward the muzzle) the barrel feels like it flares wider that last 3/16" of distance at the muzzle.

There were, of course, no wear marks on the barrel when it was new, but I'm wondering if maybe the "flair" was already there, and maybe that's what's caused the ring to appear, since the slide would collar it tighter at that point.

Anyone else notice their barrel's o.d. widening slightly at the muzzle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts