Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a special at a local GI Joes for a .22 winchester wildcat on sale for 100 bucks from the regular price of 199. does anyone have experience with this rifle?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I thought the only wildcats from winchester were the low priced lead .22s.

but!...

"Unleash the Winchester® Wildcat™, our most accurate rimfire rifle to hit the range in recent memory. The Wildcat rifle’s checkered hardwood stock features the familiar look of the historic centerfire Featherweight, complete with a checkered black synthetic Winchester buttplate, Schnabel fore-end, identical grip cap and steel sling swivel studs. Along with the smooth, highly polished bolt, the trigger is light and crisp. One 5-round and three 10-round magazines are included."

I just searched the rifle up and it looks really really nice!!!
Comes with a bunch of mags, I would most certainly buy it for $100 if I saw it, no problem.
I've been out of it as far as the latest trends, I thought Winchester folded up shop as far as guns went? or was that only for lever actions? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well supposeldy this gun is made in russia as winchester closed down shop here in the us. thats why the magazine housing looks so much like a mosnin nagnant. i have read reviews but there is not much out there. i think im just going to pick it up and see how it works as its only 100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
for $100 i would definitely buy it. worst case scenario, your out $100.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true. but remind you i am only 18 and work part time. so this is a medium sized expenditure on my part. i was looking into an AR, but i think i will wait a little and save for that.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
true. but remind you i am only 18 and work part time. so this is a medium sized expenditure on my part. i was looking into an AR, but i think i will wait a little and save for that.
flip a coin man, the coin knows all.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Unless you have a time machine it's not G.I. Joe's any more. It's just Joe's

I've looked at that rifle and the stock is way too short for me. At best it's a functional .22 rifle.

I seem to recall a couple of threads about this rifle over at rimfirecentral.com

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I bought my first .22 rifle back in the late 70s for $59 new. If you factor inflation and the cost of nearly anything these days, $100 for a new .22 is a no brainer in my book. Heck, you hardly ever see anything used for that much anymore! :mrgreen:

Heaven knows I don't need any more "toys", but thats a nice looking rifle for cheap. Even if it isn't all it's cracked up to be, I bet you'll still get alot of entertainment value out of it. I know it isn't fool proof, but a bolt action .22 is a heck of alot of fun and you'll save $$$ in the ammo department. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Dang! it included a 5 round and 3 ten round magazines. Thats $40 to $50 in mags right there! Oooo! I gotta go find one :twisted:

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
there is a special at a local GI Joes for a .22 winchester wildcat on sale for 100 bucks from the regular price of 199. does anyone have experience with this rifle?
The Wildcat is a "private labeled" TOZ-78, made specifically for Winchester. I bought one at $149, which was an outstanding price back when I bought it. Check out comments re TOZ-78 at RimfireCentral.com. I think it looks sharp, and the craftsmanship on mine is quite good. Very nice stock. The magazines are plastic, but I haven't had any problems with them so far.

I put a 4X Nikon scope on mine. First time out, after zeroing in, had no problem holding quarter-sized 5-shot groups at 50 yards, and the entire magazine (10 shots) on the sight-in target diamond. The gun is pretty light... if you like a heavier .22 rifle, it may not be for you. Besides the scope, I've added a bipod and sling... even with this extra gear it is not too heavy for carrying all day.

PS: If you do get it, be prepared for a thorough cleaning when you bring it home. Mine was very heavily oiled in the original packaging, probably for extended storage protection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for the advice. I look forward to purchasing it as soon as they are in stock. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts