Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was at my local gun shop today I one of the salesmen about his Winchester ammo. He asked if I was refering to the white boxes, I said yes, because Wal-Mart sells them for $28/Bx of 100. He said they were crap because Winchester will use 50% gunpowder and 50% shotgun gunpowder. What???? Is this true? He said they sucked for accuracy and were good for shooting nothing but paper. He said that the powder didn't burn well and left a sand like substance on the range floor.
I'm no gunsmith wizard but I don't see how a gunpowder has an effect on a bullets trajectory except for how far and fast it pushes it down range.
I have had one misfeed with this ammo, but that could be because the gun is still getting broken in.

I only use the Win. ammo for plinking anyway. I use Federal EFMJ for regular carry.

Oh, the shop I was at really pushes Magtech.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like the typical gun store jerk off, putting down what they don't sell, to promote what they do sell.

Just about everyone on here has shot that stuff, and its accurate and isn't any more or less dirty than anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
^^^ What they said.

As far as I'm concerned, cheaper = better when you just want to put in a lot of range time blowing holes in paper.

I almost exclusively use Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart as my range ammo, unless by chance I find something cheaper -- which doesn't happen very often.

I have no complaints about the WWB.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I almost always use WWB or PMC in my .40. A lot of gun shops around here don't allow you to shoot 100bx of WWB because they're liberals.

I never had 1 jam from WWB ammo and it's been reliable for me..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I used the win white box for .40 practice ammo, but both myself and JhankG had problems with FTE out of my glock 22 and his SA compact .45 and his .45 1911.
Happy to hear that the round serves so many, flawlessly, but it failed me and hank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. The shop pushed Magtech and I didn't see any boxes of 100 from any manufacturer. So by selling only 50rd boxes their going to make more money. Just means I have to stop at Wal-Mart on my way to the reange. It's all good since I'm saving $5-10 per trip anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've seen 2 FTF with WWB (one .40 the other 9mm) but both were during the gun's break-in period. But like others have said, it's not that big of a deal if you are just punching paper.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have had quit a few FTF's with Winchester. I can buy two fifty round boxes of Blazer for about the same price. As for which is dirtier. They are both dirty. Just for plinking though, they are fine. I have never had problems with the Blazer. Magtech is a more quality ammo, and not quit ass dirty. Not something to use at the range. Unless you have money flowing. Though that's what I reccomend, if you do not want to carry HP's. Also it's good to see a fellow Coastie around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started using Blazer Brass in my S&W Sigma (.40), but after 6+ failures to feed in 100 rounds, I switched to WWB. It worked much better in the Sigma, and the 140 rounds of WWB I've put through my XD40SC fed flawlessly. As for accuracy, all I can say is that the ammo is more accurate than I am. :rolleyes: It's the cheapest FMJ around here, too, so I buy it every time I go to the range.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yep, another loudmouth loser at a gun store.
WHAT A SURPRISE!

WWB in the loose-pack 100 round boxes from WalMart is THE practice ammo.
It's slightly loaded-down and a bit dirty, who cares, it's CHEAP and has been reliable in all my guns.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Clean vs. dirty...who cares? I field-strip and clean my guns after almost every range visit, regardless of how many rounds and what kind of ammo I shot.

I don't know how clean Blazer Brass is compared to WWB, but I know my fingers are black from loading mags with BB. I keep a rag handy to keep the residue from getting all over my guns and clothes.

Also, I've shot BB, Blazer CCI (w/alum. shells), WWB and Rem. (green and white box) thru my XD and all have worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There's nothing wrong with WWB. I use it all the time and never had any problems with it. The guy at the gun shop just wanted you to spend extra money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My XD 45 service is still new with only 200 rounds through it. I used WWB 100 count box from Wal Mart and had no problems with it. It dirtied up the front sights but a gentle wipe down took care of that. I’ll be getting more and shoot again next week. I’ll get some Blazers while I’m there too.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've never heard of "sand" from ammo before. I wouldn't have any problem shooting WWB, but at my Wally World, CCI Blazer Brass tends to be the cheapest FMJ practice ammo on the shelf & functions flawlessly in my XD45c. I'm sure they're both "dirty" but you get what you pay for at that price. I clean my guns after a range trip, so who cares? Powder / Carbon fouling isn't hard to clean.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
last week I bought a bulk pack of .40 WWB from W-M for $31 (yeah I paid the high price. $28 a box? I'm going back for a rebate, lol).

But I also got grief at a different local gunstore about it's undependability, yadda, yadda....

I have had very little trouble from Winchester ammo in any of my guns. Winchester, Federal and CCI have been very dependable for me.

I bought this box mainly for fun shooting and don't expect a lot out of it, but expect it will do well in my XD40. If I get different results from my expectations I'll let ya know.

NVXDRanger

1 - 20 of 23 Posts