Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one shot them through an XD? I have the 5 inch tactical model and im thinking about getting the 230 +P ammo. im gonna pick up around 300 rounds and fire them to make sure that i have no problems. this will be for home defense untill i get a shot gun.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
IMO these are the best self defense rounds out there. Like i said, my opinion, but I have shot hundreds of them with no problems.

They are a man stopper for sure....

·
Registered
809 Posts
i have the 9mm version of the sxt in 147 gr and trust me from experience ther very very power full so imaging 230 gr you will be very happy

·
Registered
804 Posts
IMO these are the best self defense rounds out there. Like i said, my opinion, but I have shot hundreds of them with no problems.

+1 I have around 100 rounds of that ammo. My XD40 eats that stuff like candy. Great ammo, but a little pricey. Of coarse if you are just using it for self defence then you want be shooting much of it anyway so who cares about price...

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Mike09 - Get yourself the Winchester Ranger T-230gr (RA45T) or their RA45TP which is their 230gr +p.
These rounds have been proven to be better than the SXT ammo for self defense, which is sold in gun shops.
If you need help in finding the Rangers check out this link or email me and I'll help you.
Winchester Ranger SXT

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've got plenty of the RA45T and the RA45B for the XD's. Works great for me and a lot of the gun rag articles have tested the XD-45 with the RA45 load and it fared pretty well there as well (accuracy-wise).

Either it or Gold Dots would be the only thing my guns see.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
RA45T and RA45TP work great in my Compact and Compact Tactical. It's been hard to find for the last 18months, but it's starting to be available again:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
RA45T and RA45TP work great in my Compact and Compact Tactical. It's been hard to find for the last 18months, but it's starting to be available again:mrgreen:
I hear the availability issue was due to the ammo being diverted to law enforcement agencys that Winchester has contracted with.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Not sure of the exact reason, but even LEO contracts were not being filled. I suspect Winchester had put more production on other rounds and perhaps military contracts.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I agree. I have used them in firearms ranging from 9mm to 45acp and they have always performed flawlessly with no problems. However, pricing for the ammo is relatively expensive compared to when I bought mine as all prices continue to increase.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I ran about 200 Ranger loads (230gr. 45 ACP) and had no problems at all. They seemed to be running on the smokey side but I had no problem feeding them to my XD Service.

Having said that, I personally still prefer Corbon DPX and Pow'R Ball rounds for self defence. That despite having the Winchester goodies (and several other brands) too, since variety is good for the soul :) but my bedside and carry mags only have a combo of DPX and Ball rounds.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
250 rounds of RA45TP fired through my XD45 Tactical and never a problem. This ammo is ideally suited for personal defense/home defense and will function great in your XD!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry Ranger Talons in any handgun that goes out the door with me for CCW. It is my personal favorite and the Federal HST is a close second.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wish I could find some more Rangers in 45acp. I was able to find two boxes at various times and used these to see how my two Xd45 Compacts liked them. "Liking" them is a bit of an understatement, they absolutely love that ammo. They like Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots and the SD ammo Bass Pro is having Winchester make just for them but compared to the way both guns shoot Rangers this other stuff is just very cheap no name plinking ammo. Btw, the groups the two guns shoot with the Remingtons, Speers and Winchesters are nothing to sneeze at it's just the groups I can shoot with the Rangers are more like I am using premium match ammo.

The dealers near me who carry Rangers have plenty of .40 S&W, a fair amount of 9mm and some .45 GAP but no .45acp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Isn't the Ranger SXT the (S)ame e(X)act (T)hing as the politically incorect "Black Fellons" of the early 1990's but without the black color? I still have a couple of boxes of the original Black Tallons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts