Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used these here i picked up a box of 50 today and curious how much people like or dislike them i have read they are for law enforcement only but they sell them here is there any truth to it on the box it says winchester ranger. and they are for a 40 smith and wesson...oh ya and i got some corbon 135gr hehe now all i need to get is sum powerball and they had some sxt but people have said they arent very good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still no answer to my ? about the particular rangers i got are they the leo only version or are they the consumer version and i cant really find any info other than the part number is ra40155hp and i know they are a 155 grain hollow point with 6 petals

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
About a three second search for "ra40155hp" would come up with an answer instead of whining because someone didn't answer it for you here. Welcome to the internet.

As to whether if they're "LEO Only", does the box say it on it? If so/not, there's your answer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There was Black Talon, then there was SXT, then there was Ranger Talon, then Ranger T and Supreme SXT, Ranger T bonded...

SXT means Supreme eXpansion Technology. It used to refer to a specific load, but now Winchester uses it in a general sense to refer to various premium loads. You will see "SXT" on boxes of both Ranger and Supreme ammo.

SXT refers to the reverse tapered jacket design used in some Ranger and Supreme loads. They are similar in design and performance but not the same. In various tests I've seen, the 165 and 180 40 Supreme SXTs are very close to the Ranger T SXTs, the 147/9 and 230/45 Supreme SXT not as good.

The RA40155HP is the generic version of the 155g 40 S&W Silvertip; the color of the jacket (not composition nor design nor performance) is the only difference. They perform the same at the same speeds. It is not a Supreme SXT nor a Ranger T SXT bullet. From a G22 it does about 1200 fps and 13 inches at .70 caliber through FBI spec heavy cloth.

From what I've heard, it was intended for govt/le contracts where the Silvertip price was getting in the way. I've also heard some DHS agencies have purchased a bunch of it (ICE? CBP?).

BTW, the 115/9, 147/9, 180/40 and 230/45 JHPs used in the USA line have been/are also used in the Ranger line too.

The 115/9 and 147/9 are Silvertips of a different color. The Ranger 115, Ranger 115 +P+, USA 115, and Silvertip 115 JHP loads all use the same bullet; it's just a different color for the same copper jacket in the Silvertip.

The 147/9 JHP started out as the OSM (Olin Super Match), then was called the Subsonic DP (Deep Penetrator). Then it went to the Ranger line and then the USA line. All the same bullet. The 180/40 and 230/45 JHPs made similar trips.

The wonders of marketing? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called Winchester on it, I have these rounds, he said they where a weaker round made to make the unions happy because of possible wrist injuries with the 40 cal, he said not to trust them as my defense round and suggested ranger t, or pdx1

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
I called Winchester on it, I have these rounds, he said they where a weaker round made to make the unions happy because of possible wrist injuries with the 40 cal, he said not to trust them as my defense round and suggested ranger t, or pdx1

Really.

You called Winchester about an 8 year old thread.

Wow. That's dedication.:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts