Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing this ammo in 64 gr. Does anyone have any experience with this ammo in deer hunting or as a self defense round. Muzzle velocity is listed @ 3020 fps. It is advertised to mushroom to double the original diameter. I have killed deer (live weight) with a 223 55 gr soft point previously back in Missouri. Here in Tennessee the deer are much smaller. I am looking for a round that can double both for deer hunting as well as a defensive round. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I bought 5 boxes from Midway USA and ran two through my AR. 1 MOA at 100 yards, plan to use this year deer hunting in Wisconsin. Originally purchased for antelope in Wyoming but didn't get to confirm ammo in time.
Will see how it works soon, looks promising.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I bought 5 boxes from Midway USA and ran two through my AR. 1 MOA at 100 yards, plan to use this year deer hunting in Wisconsin. Originally purchased for antelope in Wyoming but didn't get to confirm ammo in time.
Will see how it works soon, looks promising.
I didn't know Wisconsin allowed the use of .223 ammunition for deer hunting. I seem to recall in my youth that they required larger calibers (I was from Illinois but many hunters there were close to and did hunt in Wisconsin), though even then .243 was popular. Maybe this is something new.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Law change.. I will try .223 for first time. If the doesn't work I will revert to the trusty 7mm.
According to Wisconsin's website, the only restrictions for deer hunting are that it cant be an air rifle, a rimfire rifle (.22 .22 mag ect) or a centerfire rifle of less than .22 caliber. That means as long as you are not in a shotgun only area, you can basically hunt (legally) with any rifle that is a centerfire and shoots a .22 cal bullet or larger. So legally you could use a .222 or .223, .22-250 etc, but in reality, you should probably limit youself to a minimum of .243 or larger. I know of many folks who use the centerfire .22 calibers and never have problems.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts