Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester .40 cal. 180 gr. PDX-1 ammunition to try out through my XDM. I was just inspecting the rounds and noticed that nearly half have a bulge around the middle of the case as if it started to buckle as the bullet was seated. There is also a dent in the cases by the bulge. I don't think it's enough to affect function, but none of the 165 gr. PDX-1 rounds that i bought showed any of these flaws. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Pdx1 .40sw. 180 on left, 165 on right. 20 of each through my pistol no issues of any type. I think the 165s fly flatter and the 180s were louder hitting the pates I was shooting at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the rounds on sale from Cabelas so it is highly unlikely that they are reloads. Mine look similar to the picture above but the ridge around the middle is more pronounced. There is also a rectangular dent perperndicular to the ridge. I'll try them out the next time I'm at the range and let you know how they shoot.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Without pictures I am guessing the center bulge is where the base of the bullet is seated insise the case which is not a problem. All ammo has a slight change of diamiter there due to the bullet expanding the case when it is seated.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Pdx1 .40sw. 180 on left, 165 on right. 20 of each through my pistol no issues of any type. I think the 165s fly flatter and the 180s were louder hitting the pates I was shooting at.

Notice thet the 180 grain bullet the bulge is farther down the case than the 165 because of the different lengths of the bullets. The bulge is where the bullet ends. Can't explain the dent until it can be seen. As long as they drop fully into your barrel there should be no problem shooting them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after the range it seems as though it was nothing more than a cosmetic flaw. Everything functioned perfectly, I suppose I am just being overly protective of my new gun. I saved one of the rounds with the dent and I'll try to post a pic once I can scare up a digital camera, the phone didn't work so well. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts