Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I recived several boxes of Winchesters LEO only Ranger ammo the current generation of the black talon. I wanted this to be my new carry ammo so I needed to test it out. Basically I went through 200 rounds for functioning a 180 through my 4 inch barreled XD (my CCW gun) and 20 through my 5in xd. Accuracy was more than good enough for carrying with groups about the size of a large fist at 15yrds. I ran 15 more rounds through each pistol to chrono and see what kind of velocities I would get.

4 inch barrel Ave=826.9fps
5 inch barrel Ave=872.6fps

Then I wanted to see how it expanded so I set up 6 milk jugs filled with water and set them up against each other. I fired and the round went through 4 jugs and bounced of the outside front of the 5th and did not penetrate. I recovered the bullet and it expanded nicely, my firends gf observed that it looked like a pretty flower. I can see what she saw but it was not something you want to pick becuase the petals were nice and sharp and would for sure get you. I guess if it were a flower it would be "black talonis current". I can only measure up to 210 grs so what was left was at least that. Other than that if you can get the ammo go for it, I got mine for 20 bucks a box of 50 so its actually cheaper then most other hollow points at 15-17 dollars for a 20 box. Remember just becuase the the box says its leo only does not mean its against the law for us average people to have. In my opinion if your going to carry then carry the best.

This is not where I got mine from but patrick at this thread is selling all of the diffrent ranger products.
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15965&highlight=winchester+ranger+ammo

Or pm me for my sources phone and e-mail he also accepts paypal and is real cheap for shipping.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Great pics! Anything round that looks that cool when it expands has got my vote. Do you think they'd be good "Anti-Terrorist Rounds"? (Joking) :D

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
pretty nasty round

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Other than size, are those SXTs the same as the "Personal Protection" ones that Winchester are putting in the black boxes (usually 20rd ones)?

Given my 380s are about 1/3 the size of those 45 rounds, I just had well been firing a ball into the water jugs because I literally had no expansion.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ampleworks said:
Other than size, are those SXTs the same as the "Personal Protection" ones that Winchester are putting in the black boxes (usually 20rd ones)?

Given my 380s are about 1/3 the size of those 45 rounds, I just had well been firing a ball into the water jugs because I literally had no expansion.
No, completely different round. The "Personal Protection" rounds and the bullets which they are loaded with are different and inferior.

brad cook

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ample The winchester supreme T series is suposed to be just as good, but in reality its is not the same. The leo ammo is loaded to higher pressure and greater velocitys. In 45 acp the leo ammo still has a higher velocity at 50 yds then the supreme at 25. Also I remember reading articles about the supreme that the petals were designed differently then the ranger. Less petals or something these have 6 petals how many do the supreme have. Another thing was that the ranger had to be able to penitrate windshelds and still keep enough of the bullet to be effective. I cant tell you if there is any difference there....I cant afford to shoot through too many windshelds.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/winchester_ranger/

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Since my digital cam is like 6yrs old, here's a scan of the 380s. Notice it has a 8 petals instead of 6. Due to the difference in diameter maybe? It would seem the more there is to expand, the longer it'd take to do so (more petals) thus reducing the energy transfer and the size of the hole.

Anyone maybe show us a picture of Supreme and Ranger side-by-side?

Anyways, these things feed like ass in my Bersa and the $5/box of 380 Wolf was nearly 75fps faster than these "Supreme Personal Protection" ammunition. I may start just packing it instead. :x

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It doesn't matter all that much if you look at the supremes and the rangers side by side. The fact is they are different rounds. Winchester acknowledges this and they have stated that they don't test the supreme personal protection ammo for ballistic effectiveness but they extensively test the Ranger ammo as such.

brad cook

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
ampleworks said:
So....where to buy Ranger ammunition? I've not seen it anywhere but forums
cheaperthandirt would be the first place i would look

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
There was a guy back in Dec. on the Trading Post forum that was selling Ranger ammo in different calibers. I can't seem to pull it up, but I'm sure someone can. I don't know if he is still selling tho. It was for a box of 50 for about $22.

James, what is the difference, if you know, between the Winchester Ranger LE SXT and the Winchester LE Ranger Talon? I had been told that sxt was a civilian version and the talon was le. Obviously, per the picture of the ammo box, sxt is also le. I carry the Ranger Talon, which I purchase from my former dept. That is their authorized ammo for the 9mm Beretta.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
NExd said:
ampleworks said:
So....where to buy Ranger ammunition? I've not seen it anywhere but forums
cheaperthandirt would be the first place i would look
CTD only has Supreme, same for Natchez, Ammoman, and Midway. That's why I asked. My normal CTD order is $250-500/mo for ammo so they know me quite well :wink:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its actually the same stuff look at the box side at the catalog number RA45GT or RA (ranger) 45g (45gap) T (t series or talon) Basically they have renamed the series several times I think the talon was an older box. Same stuff but different packaging kind of like when the stuff used to come in a white box.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You guys that want to buy some can get it from two sources that I know of.

One is www.proload.com. THey are a reliable source, however, they are closed for a few months so if you aren't comfortable ordering from an individual then you'll have to wait.

The other source is ordering it from a guy named Jerry Kirkpatrick.
He put a post up here once as someone mentioned. Here's the link:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15965

If you want to see his latest prices then go find his latest posting at www.thefiringline.com

Lots of people from TFL, THR and Glocktalk order from him. He's a reliable source with good prices.

brad cook

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn I did not know patrick had the gap when he posted that stuff I would have bought some long ago. One of the distributers has cases for 150 thats for 500 rounds of 40sw. The 300 cases were bought at a good deal so know they are letting any ffl have it not just leo distributer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts