Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a used Winchester Model 94 ae in .44 mag. This is my first rifle and was wondering if you guys had any pointers on proper maintenance of this rifle as well as what cartridges I should stay away from if any. I've done a few searches for a manual but have come up empty.

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Congrats, that's a nice gun. I sold one that I had for a while because it was gathering dust. Bad reason to sell a gun, and I regret selling it. I was loading my own ammo, some fairly hot 240gr JHP rounds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on everything I could find using google, it is a 1986 and has none of the extraneous safeties on it. It also has a saddle ring, which throws me off a little cause I didn't think they did that on those models.

I traded a rec kayak for it, so hard to say how much I paid for it. It's in good condition, a little wear on the barrel (straps?) and grip. Also light dents and scratches in the stock, fore grip looks good. I'll try to get some photos up.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
While the saddle ring disappeared from the 94 Winchester in 1927, the ring came back on many commemorative models and was always on the shorter barreled "Trapper" guns.

I have a 1967 Canadian Centennial 94 that has the ring and Dad's 1990 44 mag trapper also has the ring.

I have a 18" barreled Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and LOVE it.

If you have a need for a short range deer or pig gun...its the ticket. With 44 Special cowboy loads, it has no recoil and is about as loud as a small firecracker. Big fun.

Enjoy it....I love a lever gun in 44 magnum.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brickboy240 said:
While the saddle ring disappeared from the 94 Winchester in 1927, the ring came back on many commemorative models and was always on the shorter barreled "Trapper" guns.

I have a 1967 Canadian Centennial 94 that has the ring and Dad's 1990 44 mag trapper also has the ring.

I have a 18" barreled Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and LOVE it.

If you have a need for a short range deer or pig gun...its the ticket. With 44 Special cowboy loads, it has no recoil and is about as loud as a small firecracker. Big fun.

Enjoy it....I love a lever gun in 44 magnum.

- brickboy240
Are you Abe to run 44 special in my particular rifle? Doesn't mention that in the manual.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Are you Abe to run 44 special in my particular rifle? Doesn't mention that in the manual.
You should be able to; the question is if it'll feed reliably. Some rifles do fine with it, others won't...and sometimes it'll depend on the ammo/bullet profile.

The only way to know is to try it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
the only "problem" with the Winchester 94 in pistol calibers is that the Model 94 was NOT designed to feed or launch shorter pistol caliber rounds. This means it CAN be a picky feeder...you'll just have to experiment.

Dad's 44 Trapper does not feed 44Spls well at all and even some shorter 44 mag bullets hang up.

My Marlin 1894 (which WAS designed to feed pistol rounds form the beginning) eats everything in 44Spl or 44mag. Ditto for my 38/357 Marlin 1894...but the Marlins SAY on the barrel that they will feed both rounds...not just 44Mag on one rifle or 357Mag on the other.

You will just have to experiment and see. Most Cowboy Action Shooters use Marlin leverguns in competition, because they feed better than the 94s...again...you'll have to experiment.

BTW, the Mod 94 in rifle length calibers (like the 30-30) are very good feeders and I love mine.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You should be able to shoot any commercial loads in it but stay away from RUGER ONLY loads. I have some loads still froma Super Blackhawk I used to load for and I'm pretty sure they will damage a lever gun. Maybe someone else knows better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts