Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contemplating buying a drop in trigger unit for my Ruger SR556. I was wondering if anyone had any expierience with Wilson triggers?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have both the Wilson Combat TTU and a Geissele SSA. I would say it depends on what the rifle is used for and your personal preferences.

My TTU is in a precision .308 AR and my SSA is in a 6.8 SPC AR-15. The 6.8 is more for hunting than precision.

The TTU has a shorter take-up in the first stage and a shorter reset than the SSA. The TTU is also lighter in its pull weight.

Again, depends on your preferences and use. I like'em both for their intended uses.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have both the Wilson Combat TTU and a Geissele SSA. I would say it depends on what the rifle is used for and your personal preferences.

My TTU is in a precision .308 AR and my SSA is in a 6.8 SPC AR-15. The 6.8 is more for hunting than precision.

The TTU has a shorter take-up in the first stage and a shorter reset than the SSA. The TTU is also lighter in its pull weight.

Again, depends on your preferences and use. I like'em both for their intended uses.
My main use for the SR556 is target shooting. I have read, on the Ruger forum, how bad the stock triggers are. After I get a chance to shoot my rifle, I guess I can decide if the stock trigger is enough for what I want. No matter the maker, drop in triggers are not "cheap".

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had a chance to try a Ruger trigger and it wasn't very good on the model I shot. It was stiff and gritty. You're right, the drop-in triggers are not cheap, but once you try one, you're both hooked and spoiled.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I prefer a geissle ssa-e over a wilson. but those are the only 2 companies triggers I will buy. Buy with confidence. They are different not sure which is better both make I think 5+ variants.

SSAE allows accuracy and speed, I like it. IMO easiest to understand so best 1st good trigger, then if run and gun a 3 gun might be better down the road.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
For a true single-stage, it's hard (maybe impossible) to beat a JP hammer/trigger/spring combo.

For everything else, I sure do like those Geissele triggers! I'm shooting A Super 3 Gun and an adjustable two-stage NM. Love 'em both.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My main use for the SR556 is target shooting. I have read, on the Ruger forum, how bad the stock triggers are. After I get a chance to shoot my rifle, I guess I can decide if the stock trigger is enough for what I want. No matter the maker, drop in triggers are not "cheap".
Another option to these drop in or other competition triggers is the ALG Defense ACT trigger. I put one in both my Colt LE6920 5.56 and my DPMS Oracle 7.62.

I gt mine at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...ar-15-lr-308-small-pin-154-single-stage-matte

The pull weight is about the same as stock trigger, but you can get JP springs for about $10 that will lighten that up. No travel or gritty feel and clean break. For the money, very well worth it.

My triggers now are the same as a buddy of mine that had a Bill Springfield trigger job one.

Keep in mind, this is still a mil-spec combat type trigger. Just a way better implementation.

This company is a subsidiary of Gisselle.

Rootbrain

·
Registered
38 Posts
and since no one wants to buy a S3G at $50 off, i'm putting it in my Muskrat killer (Carbine) and putting a SSA-E in my DMR.

not sure what i'm going to do with the ALG QMS... It was kind of a whimsical purchase...
The ALG QMS trigger is a cheaper version of the ACT trigger mentioned above. The ACT trigger is far superior to the QMS, is about $20 more
and worth it

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The ALG QMS trigger is a cheaper version of the ACT trigger mentioned above. The ACT trigger is far superior to the QMS, is about $20 more
and worth it

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk
it's a QMS with NiB treatment...

·
Registered
38 Posts
it's a QMS with NiB treatment...
The ACT trigger has the hard lube which is electroless nickel plating with boron or Teflon additive. The QMS has a honed and polished sear surfaces. Unless you had NiB done afterward? Anyway, not to be argumentative, both ALG triggers are an improvement over most stock triggers. But the ACT goes through the hard lube process and is an improvement over the QMS. I've had them both. Sold the QMS to buy that ACT and glad of it.

ALG, being a subsidiary of Gisselle is a quality outfit from my experience. They do the mil spec triggers so Gisselle can concentrate on their terrific match triggers.

RB

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
But the ACT goes through the hard lube process and is an improvement over the QMS.
meh... if you say so... IME, NiBo anything never holds up over time. triggers, bolt carriers... you name it. give it enough moderate use, it'll start to chip off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have played with the ALG, Wilson, S3G, Black Rain, LM 2stage and the Timney.

For the poorman, JP springs and ALG. $10 + $60

Best all rounder, I prefer the Timney at ~$160

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have played with the ALG, Wilson, S3G, Black Rain, LM 2stage and the Timney.

For the poorman, JP springs and ALG. $10 + $60

Best all rounder, I prefer the Timney at ~$160
Apples and Oranges. Timney is a match or precision shooting trigger. I haven't the need of one. For my use and shooting style a combat trigger works best and the ALG ACT is the best I've found. Not even a "poorman" option. I can well afford a couple hundred dollars each for small pin Timney triggers in my LE 6920 and DPMS AR10. But like said for me, waste of money. For others money well spent.

RB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts