Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 500 rounds through my XD9 Service. Everything is loosening up, especially the trigger pull.

But, I still seem to shoot low/left. I have looked at all the correction charts and understand the issue. Believe me, I have worked on proper grip/trigger control over and over.

I can shoot other pistols (Bersa Thunder 380, Sig P232, Sig P239) dead on.

I understand the XD trigger takes a while to learn, but I am really starting to think about a PRP trigger job to help smooth out the trigger, reduce pre/post travel and lower pull weight.

Could a trigger job help me shoot the XD more accurately?

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
Shooting will help with your shooting accuracy!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
^ This...+1 The XD triggers are really exceptional considering, or comparing them to other pistols or even revolvers.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The PRP trigger certainly helped me. Other shooters that fire mine are amazed at how good the trigger feels and how accurate it is. Are those 2 things related? I tend to think so.

I bought the basic kit and use the factory springs. Did polish the striker, rough parts of the striker channel, sear and any other parts that looked like there was rub. Also did a quick pass on the ramp. $ out of pocket was under $90.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I feel that trigger jobs help if you understand the fundamentals of trigger control. I wasnt a huge fan of the factory XD trigger as I mostly shoot 1911's. Did it change how I shot, not to much, but it made it more enjoyable and much better for follow up shots.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I doubt it will help. As stated before shooting will help you shooting accuracy. Specifically working on the grip and trigger pull. Low and left is common for new XD shooters.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I doubt it will help. As stated before shooting will help you shooting accuracy. Specifically working on the grip and trigger pull. Low and left is common for new XD shooters.
Why is this a common thing ? and how is it corrected ?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Shooter error. Squeezing the fingers and pulling the trigger at an angle instead of straight back. The chart posted by smoker03 will show you your error the fix is practice and snap caps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd recommend practice over modifications. a trigger job definitely wouldn't hurt but maybe getting some one on one with a line coach would be much more likely to fix the issue

·
Registered
55 Posts
as others have said I say practice, practice, practice.
Then at that point look at trigger upgrade.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A trigger job may help a tiny bit but nothing beats practice, practice, practice. 500 rounds is really nothing.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Slapping the trigger in anticipation of recoil. Good dryfire practice I would recomend. When you see "Fire" blowing out the end of the barrel on each shot, you know your on the right tract.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I feel that trigger jobs help if you understand the fundamentals of trigger control. I wasnt a huge fan of the factory XD trigger as I mostly shoot 1911's. Did it change how I shot, not to much, but it made it more enjoyable and much better for follow up shots.

I found a huge improvement post trigger job in shooting the xdm. My issue was (and still is!) having 30 years of muscle memory on single action only triggers. When the finger moves a short distance, the brain expects a bang! If there is no bang, my brain sort of boils up a bit and the fingers start to move farther, faster and more forcefully until the gun goes off --- with the bullet landing low and left. :cry: I realized there was a need to fix the trigger when my last thoughts before firing were a consistent "WTF is wrong with this dang trigger? - jerk ->bang! Dern... low and left again.:cry:

Yeah, 1000-2000 rounds would have helped and may have even corrected the issue. (with my ossified brain, it would probably be closer to 10,000!:oops:) But why spend many hundreds on ammo and get more and more disillusioned with each round that falls low / left? The basic trigger package from PRP was under 90 bucks and now the xdm feels close to a decent hammer fired single action pistol. Going to the modified sear might crisp it up a bit, but it's dern good now, especially compared to the factory feel.

I do practice too! Practice is the best way to hone skills in all physical activities. I do the empty case on the top of the sight, use a laser to dry fire and watch that the dot stays EXACTLY where it should be. And even punch holes in paper, pop cans, etc. But having a consistent set of guns that all respond the same way is just one less thing for an old guy to have to take into consideration.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
IMO, the best a trigger job will do is help mask a shooter error, but it will not make it go away.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'd recommend practice over modifications. a trigger job definitely wouldn't hurt but maybe getting some one on one with a line coach would be much more likely to fix the issue
This.

If you're just "practicing" without anybody to show you what you're doing wrong, then you're not practicing. You're reinforcing bad habits.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Its not an XD thing. Its usually a new shooter issue. Check this link out. Good for practice.

Diagnostic Target

Keep in mind this is for right handed shooters. Left handed shooters need to flip it horizonally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts