Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
DPMS is a big name in ar's they make good rifles, I have one of their lowers i like it. But you might want to consider a flat top if you even think you might want some kind of optic.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
what type of bullets do you plan on shooting?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea i would go with a flat top.

also i would personally get a 1:7 twist. so you can use the heavy bullets. but it all depends what you want to use it for.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
With todays slings and accessories is the carry handle even worth it at all?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
True, the carry handle doesn't make a lot of sense. Sounds like DPMS is a good brand. I'll research the twist a little more to see what I prefer. Thanks for the pointers and keep them coming if you have anymore.

I see Doublestar for about the same price...similar or better quality?

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I was building my 14.5" M4gery, I learned that with the 1/9 twist you will be able to use from about 40gr-75gr bullets. 1/7 will let you use from about 55gr-80gr. But all in all it will be dependent on the barrel twist, they aren't precisely twisted to the specified rate. They may be off by tenths, which is why they ranged so much apart.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
A carry handle doesn't prevent optics - it just means you have to mount them a bit higher on the rifle (farther from the bore). But this shouldn't effect accuracy out to the 300m ranges, right? You have to buy a railed adapter for the carry handle. They're pretty widely available.

joe

·
Registered
123 Posts
I always thought their was something sexy about the A2 design. It may not be as functionable as the A3, but it still works for me. I have a leapers 4X20 scope w/ integral adapter on my Oly CAR.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Whatever's on sale. :grin:
I think the one who asked meant it in a different way.

It is my understanding that a rifle chambered in 5.56 Nato can also shoot the less-powerful .223 Remington, but the converse of that is not true, or if true is not as safe.

It looks like the barrel from Midway is .223, not 5.56.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Dave;
FYI find a friend that has a FFL 03 C&R license if buying from Midway. They can be set up as a dealer and get discounts, that same upper that would cost you 447, will cost 399. I just checked as I am set up as a 03 dealer with them. For what it is worth.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I'm 100% certain that Midway and Brownell's do not like their dealer prices to be posted publically like that. And is why they reserve the right to decline dealer pricing to C&R's.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Sorry if I offended you John. I was trying to give information to a fellow member. Here is Midways dealer policy MidwayUSA - About MidwayUSA

I don't see where it says I can't give a member of a site I belong to what my dealer price is. I did not say "buy from me I can get you a deal" Just trying to help a brother out. I spend thousands of dollars with Midway a year and to quote Potterfield "Thanks for your business!"

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave;
FYI find a friend that has a FFL 03 C&R license if buying from Midway. They can be set up as a dealer and get discounts, that same upper that would cost you 447, will cost 399. I just checked as I am set up as a 03 dealer with them. For what it is worth.
Thanks, I'm an C&R holder too and I've been set up as a dealer too. :grin: I've sent DPMS an e-mail asking about FFL03 discounts as I read somewhere that they give them. I might just get a whole gun if the price is right.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Sorry if I offended you John. I was trying to give information to a fellow member. Here is Midways dealer policy MidwayUSA - About MidwayUSA

I don't see where it says I can't give a member of a site I belong to what my dealer price is. I did not say "buy from me I can get you a deal" Just trying to help a brother out. I spend thousands of dollars with Midway a year and to quote Potterfield "Thanks for your business!"
What you linked was what is involved in setting up a dealer account with them. Not what their dealer policy is. Confidentiality is a very big thing to them. They can go into a lot more detail if you ask one of their supervisors about it. That way you're not just hearing it from some guy on the internet.

You didn't offend me at all and there's no need to apologize to me for it, but there's a reason that they don't just show or offer dealer pricing to everyone who logs on to their site. They know that unlike licensed collectors, real FFL's are trying to make a living and is more than just a hobby or a way to get a quick discount.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts