Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! First post on the forum, and I just wanted to say thank you all. Great site you guys have here with tons of information, very helpful for a newbie like me.

I have been doing lots of research and I think I am finally ready to purchase my first firearm. I narrowed it down to purchasing either the 40 XD Subcompact or the 40 XD compact (4" ) since they are both on sale down here at a local dealer for 429. Yesterday I went down to the shop to see how they felt in my hand and the SC just seem to fit better as opposed to the 4" model. Not sure exactly why, but it just felt more comfortable overall.
At the store the salesman advised me not to purchase the SC as he thought it would not be an accurate or fun shooting option for me, especially me being a newb. I decided to hold off on the purchase, and instead turn to you guys for some advice first. I have untill thursday to get the sale price.

Now in all the articles I have read, and youtube videos I have seen they all say that the SC can be a accurate weapon. But the question is, will i hate the XD40 SC as a first gun? or should I consider the 4" model instead?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The XD40SC was my first pistol. And I loved it. I ended up putting around 2000 rounds thru it my first year.

The only reason I sold it was because a guy from work offered me a good price, and I wanted to consolidate to the 9mm for my pistols.

My only dislike: Once I switched to 9mm I noticed an immediate difference in the "perceived" recoil. The 9mm was just easier to control for double taps. Especially since I use my XDM9Full for IDPA, and my XDM9Compact for carry.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
SD Rider- Welcome to the forum from Texas. If ya like that XDsc.40, I highly recommend springing for it. Especially at that price!! That's a great buy.

As far as accuracy goes on that subcompact, it goes to show ya that your salesperson has no personal experience with the XD line. I am amazed in how accurate mine is. I have both, and don't really see any difference between the 2.

At 21' I can carve the bullseye out. At 45' can get all my shots inside the first ring. You can't go wrong! And if your interested in conceal carry, you'll want the sc anyway. I bought my 4" service first because I wanted a full size pistol, but after buying my XDsc.40, kinna wished I had bought it first. Go ahead and take that plunge and send us the pics! :mrgreen:

Also, my confidence between the 9mm and the .40 is the difference between a feather duster and a baseball bat. I think everyone should have at least 1 9mm, but if ya go with the .40, you can purcahse a conversion barrel from EFK Firedragon for your range duty. http://www.efkfiredragon.com/xd-3-sub-compact-9mm-conversion.html On the same day get ya a Pearce grip extention for your short magazine. It REALLY makes a nice difference. http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/Springfield%20Armory/PG-XD

·
Registered
527 Posts
the 4" is called a service, not compact first of all. 2nd. If you are looking for a range gun and less CC get the service. the extra inch in the sight radius will give you more accurate shots. The actual barrel length has little to do with it, but the distance between the front and rear sight does. The 4" will also have less recoil, so you are less likely to develop bad habits like anticipating recoil. That said. I went when the 4" 40 then bought the 3" a year later

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
The sc40 is a fine pistol. Your sales guy obviously has not hit plates at 100ft with one. These are spot on guns. Double/triple taps are not a problem. You must practice practice practice though. Don't believe all the hoopla the 9ers will feed you. Unless your a malnourished 7yo girl, the 40 isn't going to break your wrist, pop you in the eye or go flying out of your hands. Ill put my sc40 up against a 9mm any day of the week.

Put a pearce on it and shoot the crap out of it!

·
Registered
663 Posts
But the question is, will i hate the XD40 SC as a first gun?

Short answer: NO.

You'll like it. With proper technique/training, recoil is basically a non-issue. I've taught women who weigh like 100 pounds and have never shot a gun before with mine, and none of them ever said it kicked too hard. They all shot it well and loved it. I can also set up clay pigeons and bust them pretty reliably at 50+ feet. It's very, very accurate; much moreso than I am as a shooter.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
"Hate it" -- no don't think so. You will be more aware of the recoil and if you don't concentrate (and maybe get some sage advice or even a few lessons) you can much more easily fall into bad habits. The way to master recoil is the zen way. Hold the gun lightly with a loose springy feeling in your arms while slowly moving the trigger backwards. Never try to "accommodate" the recoil or react to it - certainly don't try to jerk the gun or fight it. Let the gun do it's thing, then note how much it moved and slowly bring it back to the target. Keep your focus on the front sight the whole time, when you get lined back up smoothly move the trigger straight back and repeat until the mag is empty.

9mm will have less perceived recoil and will be somewhat less noisy that the .40. 9mm ammo will also be about 25-30% cheaper for fmj practice rounds. Quality defense JHP's are about the same price. You can find softer shooting .40's -- look for lighter weights and slower speeds. You would also probably want to use in ear plugs AND over ear muffs. Very little sound will sneak past so the blast won't distract you.

If you are not going to CC the gun, the larger 4", 4.5" or 5" barrel options are easier to shoot accurately and transfer less recoil. But if you are going to CC, then the smaller sc will really shine.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I recommend seeing if anyone has one that you can rent or borrow to shoot. If this is your very first handgun you may not like it because of the more snappy recoil. I usually recommend people to learn on 22's, 380's or even 9mm's. The problem with starting on a bad gun is you can develop bad habits like anticipating recoil.

Now, that's not to say that 1) you will develop these habits or 2) you cannot overcome these bad habits with practice, but it is something to be aware of.

The 40 S&W is usually a round that you either like or not. A lot of people don't like it because it seems to have more of a muzzle flip than a push back (like a 45).

I strongly recommend seeing if you can rent some various calibers to see what you like best before dropping the money on a new gun. As others have said, the XD40sc can be a good first pistol, but you will need to practice, practice, practice.

If you do get the SC, also grab a Pierce grip extension for each SC mag you have. Try shooting w/o the extension first and see how you do, then put the extension on. I couldn't hit the side of a barn w/o the extension with mine.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
^^^ Agreed ... Rent/borrow first.

It has a way of changing peoples minds ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. This helps alot in the decision making process. You all bring up lots of valid points and it is highly appreciated. I have settled on getting the SC, and now the debate is 40 or 9 (i know not again).

Wired you bring up a really good idea about renting guns to see what I like. I called down to my local range to see what it would cost, and its going to be just under 100, after rentals and ammo. I think instead Ill just apply that money and by the 9mm conversion for the SC and have both, that way Ill be able to experience both ;D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The sc40 is a fine pistol. Your sales guy obviously has not hit plates at 100ft with one. These are spot on guns. Double/triple taps are not a problem. You must practice practice practice though. Don't believe all the hoopla the 9ers will feed you. Unless your a malnourished 7yo girl, the 40 isn't going to break your wrist, pop you in the eye or go flying out of your hands. Ill put my sc40 up against a 9mm any day of the week.

Put a pearce on it and shoot the crap out of it!
Question for you guys, how'd did you get that white lettering filled in? I heard someone once say that this was something you could do by watching a youtube vid?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Question for you guys, how'd did you get that white lettering filled in? I heard someone once say that this was something you could do by watching a youtube vid?
1. Zippo
2. 7of clubs from deck of cards.
3. Crayon.

Heat.
Rub.
Scrape.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I'm not gonna talk sh!t about the 9mm. I don't like it because I couldnt hit with the few I've fired. Eventually Ill find one that I like.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Some guys use paint and nail polish. Crayon comes right off.

Also look into some classes for shooting.

I've picked up some good tips from the folks here and improved quite abit. I'm coming up on 2000 rnds with no issues of any kind. I carry my sc40 every day, and I hope I never have to use it for more than those pesky cantaloupes and gangs of watermelons

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some guys use paint and nail polish. Crayon comes right off.

Also look into some classes for shooting.

I've picked up some good tips from the folks here and improved quite abit. I'm coming up on 2000 rnds with no issues of any kind. I carry my sc40 every day, and I hope I never have to use it for more than those pesky cantaloupes and gangs of watermelons
Thanks for the tips Dave. I definetly will be signing up for a class if not a few classes. I feel that if I do decide to own one, I better be damn proficient with it too.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
No you won't hate ANY XD unless you are a commie bastard... which you aren't. Now, I would get the 4" instead of the sub compact BUT take that with a grain of salt as I also CCW a 5" XD 40 Tactical all day everyday with no issues. (thanks crossbreed) I prefer a larger gun when I can have it. If I got to choose for you, I'd set you up with the 4" and a good holster (crossbreed supertuck) and send you merrily on your way. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just to solitify your desicion, I got a XD SC 40 a few months ago, my first pistol. I really really love it. I've shot ~500 rounds through it already with no problems, even feeding it cheap ammo, TulAmmo. I just got a pierce grip and it does make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
No it won't suck as a first gun. I prefer 9mm however. What kind of answer were you expecting to get on the XD forum? :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts