Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as it says, but let me give you some details:

I have two AR's I'm planning to build, one will be 5.56, the other 6.8SPC. I would like to build them both to have piston uppers instead of the traditional gas.

I've seen a piston kit advertised in a few gun mags for $399 and I was wondering if they fit or would even be functional on a 6.8mm.

I am getting two stripped lowers, but after putting them together will probably just throw on completed uppers. I'm prepared to have a traditional upper on the 6.8, but I'm solid on the 5.56 being piston.

Any thoughts AR guys?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would think that it would. I have seen people on other forums mention or ask about piston uppers for 6.8spc. I would go to ..::68FORUMS::.. and ask there. It is a great forum with lots of good folks who are very knowledgeable about the 6.8. I love my 6.8, and you cant go wrong either way you set it up. Just make sure you get a good barrel.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's not the caliber, it's the length between the gas port and receiver.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definetely check out the sites.

It's not the caliber, it's the length between the gas port and receiver.

So basically, I just need to get the right size kit for the length of barrel I'm using on the rifle? I'm sorry but your response was kind of sketchy lol.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I think he meant pistol, Car, midlength, rifle length gas port placement.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definetely check out the sites.

So basically, I just need to get the right size kit for the length of barrel I'm using on the rifle? I'm sorry but your response was kind of sketchy lol.
Yes. Ares Defense sells two sizes - one for standard length and one for CAR length gas systems. I do not know of any difference in the lengths of gas block to receiver on any caliber of AR.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. Tracking like a TOW missle now, thanks. These will both be CAR length rifles :p

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
the only difference between the calibers is that the 6.8 SPC is larger and should have more gas. the only thing that might be an issue is the gas post size, i dont know much about the piston system but i belive that they need less gas to opperate so having too large of a port might cause problems.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
the only difference between the calibers is that the 6.8 SPC is larger and should have more gas. the only thing that might be an issue is the gas post size, i dont know much about the piston system but i belive that they need less gas to opperate so having too large of a port might cause problems.
The gas piston system is self regulating.

Any gas not needed to kick it into operation is vented off.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to hijack my own thread or anything, but it's (my thread), relevant:

Can you use commercial .270 ammo in a 6.8 rifle since that is the conversion? Is this going to be another 5.56/.223 thing?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not to hijack my own thread or anything, but it's (my thread), relevant:

Can you use commercial .270 ammo in a 6.8 rifle since that is the conversion? Is this going to be another 5.56/.223 thing?
Nope.

ETA: You can load with the same bullets though, if you're into reloading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts