Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only problem with xds is the slide not locking back on the last round (due to my grip) I have tried to train myself to rest my strong hand thumb on my weak hand thumb and keep my strong hand thumb off of the slide lock. The problem with this is when I go back to my 1911 or BHP.

If i had a XD 45 with thumb safty would this cure me of my problem? has anyone else out there had the same problem, then shot a .45 with thumb saftey and was cured? :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm a noob to guns, but logic tells me that if you can identify your problem as your grip...then the solution seems to be pretty obvious. Besides, if you're shooting, your thumb safety is disengaged...hence, doing you no good for anything, and not having anything to do with your slide locking.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im glad you understand my problem :)

Thanx for the Info

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I think an extended thumb safety on a 1911 does a great job at keeping your thumb off the slide.

So yes, I think it could help for sure. It seems to be a no brainer....get another gun!!!;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah that is a problem, almost anyone who spends a decent amount of time putting rounds through a 1911 has a hab it of resting their thumb on the thumb safety. Move from the 1911 to a weapon without the thumb safety and their grip habits tend to create a problem with their thumb resting on the slide lock.

There is another option here, not really sure how well it would work if it is even possible or not but I thought I would mention it.

Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page

If you look at some of his pics and services, he can add a beavertail to a Glock frame. Now if he can add a beavertail to a Glock frame I would have to imagine that he could also add a simulated thumb safety. Not something that looks like one but more or less a protrusion from the frame in about the same spot a thumb safety would be on your 1911, something that you could rest your thumb on other than the slide lock.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
It may not be a pretty fix, but couldn't you just glue a small piece of plastic to the frame to act as a resting spot for your thumb?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I shoot my XDs now with both thumbs OFF the gun. I'm faster, more accurate, and less likely to manipulate the gun left and right on followup shots. It has exactly the same effect as the reverse stack shooting a 1911, and the thumbs have nothing to do with recoil control. Get them out of the way...

Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
My only problem with xds is the slide not locking back on the last round (due to my grip) I have tried to train myself to rest my strong hand thumb on my weak hand thumb and keep my strong hand thumb off of the slide lock. The problem with this is when I go back to my 1911 or BHP.

If i had a XD 45 with thumb safty would this cure me of my problem? has anyone else out there had the same problem, then shot a .45 with thumb saftey and was cured? :)
Stop changing grips. A thumbs-forward grip where your thumbs are off the gun works with all guns very well. Many of the very best 1911 shooters have stopped "riding the safety" and use the "thumbs forward & not touching the gun" grip when shooting the 1911.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I put my strong hand thumb in the little spot where it would be if I was shooting single-handed and wrap my weak side thumb over top of it, locking strong hand thumb in place. It may not be pretty but it works great for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts