Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the amount of wiggle between slide and frame on xdm seem more or less than other firearms. Mine jiggles a little compared to my glock yet I find it more accurate. Don't tighter tolerences make for better guns. What about your guys collection?:confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does the amount of wiggle between slide and frame on xdm seem more or less than other firearms. Mine jiggles a little compared to my glock yet I find it more accurate. Don't tighter tolerences make for better guns. What about your guys collection?:confused:
Although there is some accuracy involved with the slide to frame clearances, the main thing that affects accuracy in this type of barrel lockup system is the barrel/slide lugs and the play of the barrel at the muzzle end. It's also this way for the 1911 pistols. They have notoriously sloppy slide to frame fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Thanks for response. I had heard 1911 were bad. That is something I've been wanting. Do you have any recomendations on make. I was thinking a springfield operator if I can offord it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see. Thanks for response. I had heard 1911 were bad. That is something I've been wanting. Do you have any recomendations on make. I was thinking a springfield operator if I can offord it.
Well, the choices for 1911s are almost endless and your budget will determine your decision. I'm a Colt fan myself since that is the original 1911 but the Springfields are very well respected. A new entry into the 1911 market is the Ruger SR1911 which has been getting very good reviews and is priced in the $600 to $700 range.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Although there is some accuracy involved with the slide to frame clearances, the main thing that affects accuracy in this type of barrel lockup system is the barrel/slide lugs and the play of the barrel at the muzzle end. It's also this way for the 1911 pistols. They have notoriously sloppy slide to frame fit.
What kind of 1911s are you referring to?
My 1911 pistols have the tightest tolerances of any handgun I've ever owned, and I've owned several.
I've yet to own a 1911 that has any lateral play in the slide/frame fit, including my RIA.

To the OP, one of my Sig P239s almost rattles when shaken side to side.
But it's accuracy rivals any handgun I own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What kind of 1911s are you referring to?
My 1911 pistols have the tightest tolerances of any handgun I've ever owned, and I've owned several.
I've yet to own a 1911 that has any lateral play in the slide/frame fit, including my RIA.

To the OP, one of my Sig P239s almost rattles when shaken side to side.
But it's accuracy rivals any handgun I own.
Well, our expediences certainly differ 180 out. The only 1911 I've ever owned that didn't "rattle" was my Para TAC Four that was tuned by their custom shop.

I've owned a host of others including Norincos, Colts Gov't and Commanders, Taurus 1911s, and various Mil spec 1911s. They all rattled. That's not to say they wiggled a lot but you could feel the play.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
My Smith & Wesson 1911 slide to frame fit is extremely tight.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Well, our expediences certainly differ 180 out. The only 1911 I've ever owned that didn't "rattle" was my Para TAC Four that was tuned by their custom shop.

I've owned a host of others including Norincos, Colts Gov't and Commanders, Taurus 1911s, and various Mil spec 1911s. They all rattled. That's not to say they wiggled a lot but you could feel the play.
My experiences with 1911s (guns I've owned), are with Kimber, Springfield (EMP), STI, Dan Wesson, and RIA.
None have any noticeable looseness in the frame to slide fit.
I guess you are correct, our expediences certainly differ 180.
It is what it is I suppose..:confused:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The 1911 was originally designed to be a battle weapon, and had the loose tolerances that usually come along with that purpose.

These newer boutique, and (ridiculously) expensive 1911s are usually built to tighter tolerances. Some are very temperamental on top of that.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The 1911 was originally designed to be a battle weapon, and had the loose tolerances that usually come along with that purpose.

These newer boutique, and (ridiculously) expensive 1911s are usually built to tighter tolerances. Some are very temperamental on top of that.
That makes sense..
I've never owned or shot a Mil spec, nor would I.
With the exception of the RIA Tactical, I've only owned the newer boutique, and (ridiculously) expensive 1911s:roll:, that have never failed me.

Actually sold 4 XDs and bought my boutique 1911s with that $$$.:shock:

Much better trigger.
Much easier to carry.
Much more accurate.
No grip tape needed.
Just as reliable..:D
Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
YMMV............:cool:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That makes sense..
I've never owned or shot a Mil spec, nor would I.
With the exception of the RIA Tactical, I've only owned the newer boutique, and (ridiculously) expensive 1911s:roll:, that have never failed me.

Actually sold 4 XDs and bought my boutique 1911s with that $$$.:shock:

Much better trigger.
Much easier to carry.
Much more accurate.
No grip tape needed.
Just as reliable..:D
Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
YMMV............:cool:
I'm not bagging on the platform, because I like it. If it's how you want to spend your money that is your business. I have 4 people that live in my house, and we all enjoy firearms. That makes is a little unreasonable for me to to buy expensive guns.

I can't argue the trigger. That is the most beautiful part of the 1911 design. That said, a shooter should be able to learn a trigger.
Not easier to carry than my CW45.
I can quickly empty a magazine into an 6" circle at 5 yds with every handgun I own. That is good enough for me, but I'm obviously no bullseye shooter.
Grip tape, or checkered grips/front strap. Same thing in my mind.
I have only 3 handguns that have ever had any malfunction. 2 of those are 1911's, and the other is a Gen 4 Glock 17. The G17 was fixed with the #2 recoil spring assembly, and has had ~2500 flawless rounds through it since.

As you already said YMMV.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My experiences with 1911s (guns I've owned), are with Kimber, Springfield (EMP), STI, Dan Wesson, and RIA.
None have any noticeable looseness in the frame to slide fit.
I guess you are correct, our expediences certainly differ 180.
It is what it is I suppose..:confused:
My SA 1911 has plenty of lateral play in the slide to frame fit, my 3 STI guns have none. My SA compact, even with play in it, will shoot some pretty small ragged hole groups, same with my STI guns But the STI guns will definately outshoot my SA.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I thought all 1911's rattled like Mic Jagger jogging....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts