Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Convinced the wife to go to the range to "try this shooting thing" out since I've become a bit addicted since getting my XD40.

Started with a .22 revolver and she didn't like the trigger/wasn't doing so well. Went to a Beretta .22 semi-auto which was dirty as all get out and wouldn't feed properly. Finished up the .22s with a Ruger which was much better for her and she had no issues, and started to enjoy herself. Accuracy wasn't too bad, she hit the target which is good, we'll leave it at that as far as that goes :)

We then moved to a XD9. She fired off the first round, turned to me and said "I like this one a lot better!". Aha, the hook was set :) 50 rounds later and she had a nice grin on her face and was starting to zero in on center and becoming comfortable with the gun/shooting.

We then shot my XD40. She was a bit tired by this point, and the 40 has a bit more kick than the 9, so her placement wasn't as good. After 2 mags, she said "ok, I'm done, but I like the one I shot before yours."

On the way out, she stopped by the array of 9mms they had and started asking about the various manufactures/types/etc. I had them give her a Glock and Sig and she really liked the Glock grip. Here I was thinking she just wanted to leave but she spent 15 minutes with the 9mms and the sales guy going over the whats/whys/etc. I just stayed out of the way and let them talk, smiling the whole time.

I was happy that she enjoyed her time at the range, but "fear" that perhaps I have unleashed yet another gun owner to the world :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
:D

Sweet!

I'm picking up my XD40 tonight and heading to the range for a box or two. I hope that my wife gets bit the way yours did.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I brought my XD40 home last night. It's my first pistol, despite years of shooting experience with rifles, pistols and shotguns. My wife had never wanted one in the house, but recently told me it might not be bad idea to have one. I went out a week later and bought one, to her surprise. She didn't think I'd just go buy one. She thought we were supposed to talk about it some more. :wink:

After my nanny-state's 10-day waiting period, I picked up the pistol last night and brought it home. My wife, who had never handled any firearm before, was very curious about it and I showed her the basics. She is feeling pretty sick with a cold and was unable to come to the range with me even though she really wanted to come with us. (I'll sign her up for a beginner's pistol safety course some coming weekend.)

I went through 100rd of Fiocchi 170gr and 100rd of range reloads (Win brass) and was really happy with the XD. I was able to compare it side-by-side with a buddy's XD40 that is running a DGR and 22# spring and think I'll be going that route pretty soon. The trigger is going to need some work, too. It's scraping my finger on nearly every shot. When I look at the trigger safety, it doesn't fully recess into the trigger and I wonder if that's what is doing the scraping. (It could also be technique or a combination of the two, so I'm open to any suggestions.)

I've got a 500rd pack of Federal 165gr coming from ammoman.com and I can't wait to get back to the range.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Took my wife to shoot some trap 4 yrs ago. She shot an old Ruger red label O/U 20 ga. and said she kinda liked it. Since that time she now has a Beretta AL391 Urika gold, tricked out by Ballistic Specialties. She shoots sporting clays on a regular basis. She has been to the indoor range with me recently and now wants to get her CCW and an XD40SC.
She also likes the smell of Hoppes #9.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
K-80 said:
Took my wife to shoot some trap 4 yrs ago. She shot an old Ruger red label O/U 20 ga. and said she kinda liked it. Since that time she now has a Beretta AL391 Urika gold, tricked out by Ballistic Specialties. She shoots sporting clays on a regular basis. She has been to the indoor range with me recently and now wants to get her CCW and an XD40SC.
She also likes the smell of Hoppes #9.
I'm now 100% in favor of cloning :shock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here she is at Nemacolin Sporting Clays in Pa.
Enlarge the pic - notice the clay dust and the ejected shell.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K-80 said:

Awesome picture! Great shooting, by both of you there!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
pdjplano said:
K-80 said:

Awesome picture! Great shooting, by both of you there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
YakSpout said:
The trigger is going to need some work, too. It's scraping my finger on nearly every shot. When I look at the trigger safety, it doesn't fully recess into the trigger and I wonder if that's what is doing the scraping. (It could also be technique or a combination of the two, so I'm open to any suggestions.)
I just shot 200 rnds today and got a blister. I thought maybe I was pulling the trigger wrong or something.

About the significant other....

I shot a bit in the Navy over 10yrs but never owned my own until now. My wife was the one who brought up the subject because we're going to be separated at times for my job. I was like...Yeeehaaaww!!.

We both went through the CCW class together. At the end we got to fire a S&W 38 and she did terrible. In her defense we could only fire DA and it was a pretty hard pull.
I got my XD40. We went to a range the next week and I had her fire a luger .22 to practice proper technique. She did very well and after 50rnds she handed me the gun and said "I want something bigger, this thing's boring," I said "yeeeehhaaaaw!!!" She rented the Glock 9mm and from her first mag to her 8th she had a smile on her face. She tried out my XD40 but it had a bit too much bite for her.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just might get her an XD9SC for a stocking stuffer..

I tried talking her into wanting a reloader. no dice yet!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got my wife started in shooting a couple of years ago. She has her CZ75 and I had my Kimber Pro Carry.
Well about a month ago I got the XD bug and bought a XD40. We tried it out at my father-in-law's farm a couple of weeks ago. My wife likes it and so does my brother-in-law. My sister-in-law prefers the CZ. I married into a shooting family. Yes! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Boy, some of you guys sound really lucky. Even with brothers and a sister who like to shoot, my wife has zero interest in shooting. It's too bad because she does really well when she does shoot. Last summer at the end of pistol league we had a picnic and everone set out their guns for all to shoot. She shot everything from 22 to 357 and impressed the guys with she shooting. She even got a laugh when her first 45 casing flew over my glasses and hit me in the eye. But still no interest. I wish there were a way to get her intrested because now that the boys are leaving home we could stand to to find some common interests. Hell, she don't even like to fish!

pete

·
Registered
112 Posts

She can shoot!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
K-80 said:

She can shoot!!!!
I can understand a orange tip on a toy gun, but now it's getting rediculous! Who ever robbed a liquor store with a AA gun? :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
No, no. You don't understand. In this situation, it's a showing that it's dangerous, like some sort of bright red venomous tree frog. It's huge, so it can't hide itself. It survives on warning others not to mess with it.

Now the toy gun, it's a mimic. It isn't dangerous, but it uses the red muzzle to try to fool predators into thinking it's an anti-aircraft gun.

:p

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Now THAT'S an XD-40!!!!!!! ( mm ) lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts