Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally convinced my wife to go to the range with me today. She did excellently.

I showed her how to operate the XD 9mm Service last night and went over the safety rules. She's a quick learner as I was going to find out the next day.

This was her first time shooting anything besides an evil look (something akin to this :twisted:). Anyhow, she grew up in a hunting household with my wife and her sister being the only non-hunters in the family. Yes, her mom is known to bring home a deer when the boys are having trouble doing so.

After reviewing the rules again and proper grip, she stepped up and hit paper! Then it took a few more shots to get rid of the flinching and to improve on grip mechanics and trigger uptake. Then it was all over, she started getting nice 2" groups at 15 feet. I put a silhouette target out at 21' to show her what the bad guy looks like from that distance and she put 10 rounds in the center of his nasty mass all well within a hand span.

She rocks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Love it when the gals take up the hobby, never know when she may need it! My wife shoots a Bersa 380 and will be trying my Mini firestorm 9MM out saturday, I firgure she should know how to use it also, more deadly if ever needed. Now remember to don't make her mad!!

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Congrats. My wife gets mad at me when I go to the range without her now.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Congrats, I should be taking my wife to the range for the first time soon, she recently told me she WANTS to shoot my gun... Yes my wife who really dislikes guns said she wanted to shoot mine... wow

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice glad to hear... next is USPSA ;-) then she will be addicted! what happen with my Mrs's now she keeps track of matches better than me..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice report. I wish my wife was more interested in this. I got her to go and shoot our .22 rifle once or twice earlier this year but she hasn't gone again yet. I want to move her to my P22, then my XD-9. She'll never carry, but I think she needs to know how to shoot a handgun proficiently.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Nice report. I wish my wife was more interested in this. I got her to go and shoot our .22 rifle once or twice earlier this year but she hasn't gone again yet. I want to move her to my P22, then my XD-9. She'll never carry, but I think she needs to know how to shoot a handgun proficiently.
OK first off what did you have her shooting at? I hope it wasn't just a static paper target the first time(s) out. Make it fun for her (or anyone) when first taking them shooting. Think Re-active, cans, bottles, clays, bowling pins, re-active steels, melons, milk jugs anything that gives instant gratification when hit, in like "Damn did you see that melon explode" or "Yeah! I shattered that thing (bottle, clay etc.)" things like that, so that they get excited and want to come back. Then down the road as interest increases they will want to work on accuracy/plain paper targets. Just my $0.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts