Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants me to pack heat everywhere we go. Its actually cool. We had a neighbor 10 houses down get the crap beat out of him for no reason and she's even more for us to have my pistol ready. only she want let me keep one in the chamber.:twisted:

how is everyone else wife and so?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Keeping a round chambered is the way to go. The half second you need to rack the slide may take more time and more hands than you have available. Make SURE you use the safeties on the gun, whatever they are.

I'm ALWAYS armed. When I get up, I throw on some pants and stick my LCR in the pocket. If I'm going out, I'm wearing my XD9SC. Unless you carry all the time, you might as well not carry at all. You won't be given the choice of when it might be needed.

Your wife is smart, but it's sad shes acting out of fear. My wife is all for me packing. In fact, she thinks it's sexy that I'd go to extreme measures to protect her. Not that she needs much protecting , because she's packing, too - a little Keltec P-32 that shes deadly accurate with.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Not married but I think if neither of you have little to no experience with guns you should look into taking a pistol safety course or going to a friend who is well versed in firearms. Let her know that there are many people who would be dead had they not had a round in the chamber. The fact is it will happen so fast if you need it you may not have the time or ability to chamber a round. If you know how to handle the firearm keeping one in the chamber is not an issue and IMHO you both should look into packing heat everywhere you go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I was married, my wife expected me to carry basically everywhere I/we went. She thought carrying at schools, concerts, and fairs was a maybe not necessary (whatever that means!) but she knew having a well trained and armed Marine at her side was probably the best way to go about her day and get home safely. She also owned guns but still hasn't made the choice to carry.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's nice she wants you to carry but like the others have mentioned, it should be explained that while carrying unchambered is better than nothing, it's been proven, chambered is a safe and recommended status to keep your CCW. It would be like driving a car with the airbags disarmed and trying to arm them when seeing you're about to get in an accident. Timing and ability to do so may not be available.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
How is she gonna know? Does she check your chamber as you leave? Rack it stick it in the holster and don't mention it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My wife wants me to pack heat everywhere we go. Its actually cool. We had a neighbor 10 houses down get the crap beat out of him for no reason and she's even more for us to have my pistol ready. only she want let me keep one in the chamber.:twisted:

how is everyone else wife and so?
I assume you mean she will not, or won't let you keep on chambered.

What kind of pistol do you carry? Is is really easy to chamber a round quickly? Does it have an external safety that can be employed?

Here is a few suggestions, take her to the range and:
Show her how much time can be lost having to chamber a round in a live fire situation.

If you weapon has an external safety, then demonstrate to her how it works.

Does your holster have a trigger guard? If so let her see how that helps prevent an accidental discharge.

The bottom line is assure your wife that you can carry your weapon hot in a safe and reasonable manner. I think if you give her the reassurance she will be ok with it.

Here is one more thing; if you always keep your weapon hot (hot meaning a round in the chamber) then it greatly reduces the chances of you, or your wife, treating it like it is not loaded, and that makes if safer.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm ALWAYS armed. When I get up, I throw on some pants and stick my LCR in the pocket. If I'm going out, I'm wearing my XD9SC. Unless you carry all the time, you might as well not carry at all. You won't be given the choice of when it might be needed.
Some of us don't have a choice because of where we work :p
I work at a college that doesn't allow guns on campus, so that means I cannot have it on me or in my car when I come to work. It really sucks and since I'll be job hunting at the end of this year, I will be trying to find a place that will at least let me keep it in the car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I keep mine chambered almost all of the time. Its always chambered when i carry and I always have it chambered when its by my bedside. The wife is perfectly comfortable with it, I just remind her every now and then that it is chambered and she is just very careful. We got married a little more than a year ago and she was a little frightened of guns then, but after taking her out shooting and showing her how they work, she is thinking of getting her ccw (I'm an excited husband). Its kinda sad, most people are scared of guns because they have never been tought how they work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Being near the philly area where crimes of all sorts seem to happen everyday now, I carry everywhere I possibly can with a chambered round. I am confident there will be no discharge until I want it to. With recent crimes being commited by groups at all times and places, I know I will not have time to rack a slide. My GF understands why I carry but still gets a tiny bit freaked out when I rack the slide every so often after unloading the pistol to do check ups. The one place she always questions why I carry is at weddings. My reply is always "Just because crime isn't invited doesn't mean they won't crash the party." XDm 45 in a Minatour IWB holster with a suit. Insurance... I've taken her to the range a few times to get familiar with my pistol but like a lot of females that I know, they kinda treat it as a "that was cool" type of thing and forget the real purpose of the trip. Right now, I know she is able to decently aim and shoot but she needs a lot more practice, especially if a reload is needed. She treats the pistol too delicately like its thin glass.

Recently here, there was a couple (both unarmed) walking home from dinner. They were held up by 2 teenagers, 1 with a gun. After giving them whatever cash they had, the hoodlums apparently thought it wasn't enough so they raped the guy's gf and made him watch as she pleaded him to stop. Now, I'm not sayin that just because you are armed means you escaped unscaved. I am just saying it gives you "options and possibilities." I would have risked being shot and atleast take the chances of maybe stopping the idiots or atleast die trying. Oh, did I mention both suspects were under the age of 18. I believe it was 17 and 14?

Most of my friends and coworkers of mine are not "gun" people. They always ask me, "why do you carry a gun" or "what are you gonna do with a gun?" My face then gets dead serious, and then I begin to tell this story. When I'm done, I see them all thinking twice. Then there is always that 1 person, "Well you don't have the right to take lives..." Ugh!!

Sorry for the long random thought...just wanted to share.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
My wife is indifferent about carrying herself, BUT, a few times we have been out, she is very happy that I have had my "partner" with me.

She's of the assumption that since we live in a "safe" area she will be fine if she keeps aware of he surroundings and she is in denial. You guys may remember the shooting at the Panama City, FL school board meeting a little while back. That was one building down from where she was. (And yes... a gun free zone like her building is).

But, it won't happen to her, right??

Anyway.... back to the point.... she is fine with me carrying, and I continually am trying to get her to come over to the range with me and hope to get her carrying sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Yes I carry everywhere. My wife carries everywhere as well. One of my sons (who is 4) has asked when he can carry a gun. My daughter (3) asked me to buy her a pink gun. Yeah, we're pretty comfortable with firearms.

Being near the philly area where crimes of all sorts seem to happen everyday now, I carry everywhere I possibly can with a chambered round. I am confident there will be no discharge until I want it to. With recent crimes being commited by groups at all times and places, I know I will not have time to rack a slide. My GF understands why I carry but still gets a tiny bit freaked out when I rack the slide every so often after unloading the pistol to do check ups. The one place she always questions why I carry is at weddings. My reply is always "Just because crime isn't invited doesn't mean they won't crash the party." XDm 45 in a Minatour IWB holster with a suit. Insurance... I've taken her to the range a few times to get familiar with my pistol but like a lot of females that I know, they kinda treat it as a "that was cool" type of thing and forget the real purpose of the trip. Right now, I know she is able to decently aim and shoot but she needs a lot more practice, especially if a reload is needed. She treats the pistol too delicately like its thin glass.

Recently here, there was a couple (both unarmed) walking home from dinner. They were held up by 2 teenagers, 1 with a gun. After giving them whatever cash they had, the hoodlums apparently thought it wasn't enough so they raped the guy's gf and made him watch as she pleaded him to stop. Now, I'm not sayin that just because you are armed means you escaped unscaved. I am just saying it gives you "options and possibilities." I would have risked being shot and atleast take the chances of maybe stopping the idiots or atleast die trying. Oh, did I mention both suspects were under the age of 18. I believe it was 17 and 14?

Most of my friends and coworkers of mine are not "gun" people. They always ask me, "why do you carry a gun" or "what are you gonna do with a gun?" My face then gets dead serious, and then I begin to tell this story. When I'm done, I see them all thinking twice. Then there is always that 1 person, "Well you don't have the right to take lives..." Ugh!!

Sorry for the long random thought...just wanted to share.

"I don't intend to take any lives. I just intend to stop bad things from happening to me. If a man dies as a result of assaulting me, then it is his own fault."

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
How is she gonna know? Does she check your chamber as you leave? Rack it stick it in the holster and don't mention it.

I disagree. Just man up and tell her you are going to cary hot and explain why. You don't want her assuming that your weapon isn't chambered. You should always assume the gun is loaded and hot but why leave room for error?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was out of town with my in-laws a few weeks ago and when we crossed the border from IL to Iowa I loaded my XDMc and put it on in my Crossbreed. This started about 30 minutes of discussion as to why and is it legal and how I got my permit and so forth. They are not anti gun just not gun people. I could tell they thought it was odd that I want to carry but did not care. Well that night as we where all walking to dinner we went through this one area that was dark and some shady people where hanging out. One of them started towards us and one of his buddies said "don't do anything crazy". Overhearing this red flags went up for all of us. Well nothing happened thankfully he just asked for money and walked away. As we kept moving though my mother in-law asked if I had "It" with me. I quietly told her yes, nice to know it was there huh.

That was my first day carrying and my wife/ in-laws do not mind at all when I do now.

Always carry, Always carry hot. If you can legally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I disagree. Just man up and tell her you are going to cary hot and explain why. You don't want her assuming that your weapon isn't chambered. You should always assume the gun is loaded and hot but why leave room for error?
This..^^^^

I always carry with a round in the chamber.. in fact I will chamber a round and the remove the Mag and insert another round, and insert the Mag back into the firearm.

Fully Loaded....12+1 (XD-40)

Outdoorsman

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
My wife understands my carrying, she's thinking about getting her PTC as well, though I don't think she'd carry as much as I do

·
Registered
403 Posts

I wouldn't lie, either by commission or omission. Try to get her to see reason, but if she just won't, then tell her you can't in good conscience carry unchambered, because of the risk you wouldn't be able to deploy the weapon in time to save your or her life.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was never into handguns until I got married and felt that I had someone other than myself that I was responsible for. I then bought an 9mm XDm and have been shooting it as much as possible to get comfortable with it. I have the paperwork filled out for my CWP and will be taking it to the sherrif's office today to get the ball rolling.

The only thing that has been holding me back from getting the permit is my comfort level with the gun. I'm getting better but I am the kind of person who needs to be 100% confident with my ability before I am willing to carry a weapon.

One thing that has really helped is the support of my wife. She grew up in a hunting family and is very comfortable with guns. She doesn't like going to the range as often as I do but she will come every once in a while. She is very excited that I'm getting my CWP and feels more comfortable when there is a loaded gun on the bedstand. Last week when I was out of town she went through the same process every night/morning that I do normally (chamber a round, re-load mag before bed, then drop the mag, clear the chamber and put it in the safe before leaving for work). It was good to know that she had that that level of protection even though I wasn't there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts