Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife really likes the way my XDs .45 3.3 feels in her hand and it's her favorite gun of mine to shoot. I also have a Glock 22 and H&K USP Compact .40. The problem is that it has a little too much recoil for her and malfunctions are far too common when she shoots it due to limp wristing. I have never had a malfunction with it when I'm the shooter. She hasn't had any problems with either of my other two handguns, both .40 due to the extra weight and grip surface make it easier to manage recoil. I want her to have a gun that feels comfortable to her but the malfunctions are unacceptable. Would an XDs 9mm in either 3.3 or 4.0 barrel fix the malfunctions due to limp wristing??? I think it should because of the tamer recoil of the 9mm round but wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
probably she will enjoy the 9mm better, i like the xds 45 but my hand get sore after a while, recently got xds.4.0 9mm and it is a lot smoother, also the shield 9mm.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Rent a 9mm. Keep shopping and shooting she'll find something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XDs 9mm 3.3/4.0 and S&W Shield 9mm are both the radar right now and we will definitely try both before we buy. A buddy of mine has a G42 she will also try. I'm not crazy about a .380 but if it's what she likes best I won't say no.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Pics of wife?

·
Registered
708 Posts
So my wife.... The problem is that it has a little too much recoil for her and malfunctions are far too common when she shoots it due to limp wristing..... Would an XDs 9mm in either 3.3 or 4.0 barrel fix the malfunctions due to limp wristing???....
What will fix both her perceived recoil and limp wristing problems are some basic, professional lessons on how to grip and fire a pistol. Right now she is just practicing bad habits and the longer she does it, the harder it will be to correct. Find a GOOD instructor (Preferably NRA certified..) and turn her over to him/her while you go away somewhere. When you come back to pick her up, her shooting experience will have been radically altered and she will begin to really enjoy it.

Good luck to her.

·
Registered
799 Posts
What davegran said. Sometimes family no matter how much they know are not the best teachers. My daughter is like that. Took an outsider to get the lesson across. And if you can find a female even better. My first lesson was from a woman.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The .45 has got a little pop to it for sure.

I'm man enough to admit that a 14 oz j frame stings my hand with anything but mouse fart loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts