Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie here. I bought my wife an XDM-9 for X-Mas. Her first gun! She has taken the class and got her CC permit (8 years ago). She's still a novice, and hasn't shot much since but recently said she wants to start again. She is having trouble racking the slide. I told her to practice on the couch after the kids go to bed. I don't want her to get discouraged with her new present. Any helpful hints? Are they stiff when they're brand new or should I just tell her it'll get easier with practice?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Yes it will get easier as time goes by. You can also try to put sum oil on the rails that the slide slides on. That might help her a "lil".But the more you "break" it in the easlier it will be.

My only ? for is if your wife is "little" like my wife she may not have the strength to rake the slide. Now I am not being arrogant or anything. Just sum smaller women may have difficult w/the slide. Tell her to load a mag-do not rack 1 in chamber and practise the release for the mag. That will help it free up a lil over time too. They are a lil stiff from factory.

Hope I helped you out with the ?'s. :?: Any other ?'s pls ask.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
They typically seem stiff when you first get them. I do not believe they "loosen" up with time, you just get used to it. When my wife was taking some private lessons, the instructor told her to hold the slide firm with her weak hand, close to her body, and push the gun forward with her strong hand. This worked quite well for her, and now that she's used to it, can operate the slide a lot better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found that the slide loosened up after 300 rounds and a couple of lubes. SandmanKC, that seems to be a good technique and I will have to have my wife try. She has trouble with the slide as well.

R

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Same problem, my wife is really petite and struggles like heck to rack my G19 slide.

Tell her to push the gun/frame forward with her strong hand while pulling the slide back with her weak hand. It's a simultaneous push-pull type thing.

Awesome Christmas present by the way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just the type of info I was looking for. My only handgun is a Ruger Security Six .357 so I'm a novice too when it comes to autos. Now that I've handled her XDM there is a .45 in my future- right after my Bushmaster comes in. (if it ever does)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Noobie here. I bought my wife an XDM-9 for X-Mas. Her first gun! She has taken the class and got her CC permit (8 years ago). She's still a novice, and hasn't shot much since but recently said she wants to start again. She is having trouble racking the slide. I told her to practice on the couch after the kids go to bed. I don't want her to get discouraged with her new present. Any helpful hints? Are they stiff when they're brand new or should I just tell her it'll get easier with practice?
Take it away from from her until she's strong enough to use it!;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife uses the method SandmanKC mentioned and it works for her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same problem, my wife is really petite and struggles like heck to rack my G19 slide.

Tell her to push the gun/frame forward with her strong hand while pulling the slide back with her weak hand. It's a simultaneous push-pull type thing.

Awesome Christmas present by the way.
I teach that method to my students as well. Remember we are at our strongest close to the body. So keep the weak hand close to the body and use the leverage of the strong hand to full power full speed rack the slide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hold the gun in her shooting hand in front of her pointing left(if right handed), grasp the slide with the left hand. (cupping over the top, thumb to the rear (closet to your torso) and fingers to the front. At the same time push right hand to the left and left hand to the right with a quick, firm action. This works well for my wife. Also, dont load a full mag, try just a few until she gets used to it.

Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
My GF just bought an XDM9. In addition to what's been described already, I stress the importance of "slingshot", and I'm also trying to convince her of the need to build her forearm strength with proper exercise (squeezing a tennis ball works nicely).

She's still new to this, but is doing quite well especially considering her rheumatoid arthritis.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
My wife has problems pulling the slide back on her new Baby Eagle, but it's mostly because the slide on them is very thin not square. Even I have a hard time getting a good placement on it to pull it back compared to the XD.. SHe's getting used to it though.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good lube on the rails and it will ease up some with use. Practice and hand exercises will also help. Mayhaps using the pull with one hand while pushing with the other will also help.
I seems that some guys and a lot of women have trouble operating the slide on semi auto pistols.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
These guns DO soften with use.

My very well broken-in XD Sc 9 feels like butter compared to the new guns with no rounds through them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They typically seem stiff when you first get them. I do not believe they "loosen" up with time, you just get used to it. When my wife was taking some private lessons, the instructor told her to hold the slide firm with her weak hand, close to her body, and push the gun forward with her strong hand. This worked quite well for her, and now that she's used to it, can operate the slide a lot better.
A gun store owner suggested the same thing to my wife, who is also a "wee person". She has trouble with most semiauto slides.

Using that technique she can rack the slide on a High Power, Para, Kimber and others. At the store she was able to move the slide on an XD45 as well.

She has a Bersa Thunder in .380 that she can move just fine and really likes.

Another trick the gun store owner suggested was cocking the hammer back for less resistance. This will not work of course on Glocks and the like, but it does work very well on SA guns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys- I've been having her practice the push- pull with her weak hand close to the body and she's able to do it (still having trouble but getting better).

I occasionally give her pop quizzes on loading and charging my HBAR. Repetition seems to work.

The XDM still hasn't been fired. Trying to get the kinks out first.

Great responses- I've showed her the thread!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts