Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha!

I have been out of the gun world for a bit now. Between frustrating experiences at the local gun range, lack of near-by ranges, and the combination of life (with other hobbies) - I stopped actively shooting and even let my CCW expire. Yet, on vacation last week I shot a rental XDm 9MM Compact with my father. Surprisingly, I shot the XDm very well for an unknown gun! At 7 yards, I had a 2.5" - 3" grouping for my magazine attempts; at 20 yards (center mass) I had 5.5" - 6" groupings with all shots hitting the intended target. I am not the best shooter, as it has been over 2 years since I have last shot my Walther P99 .40 cal. It was my father who actually wanted to look at this gun, for he traded in his G26 (Glock thread here) due to issues he had with the Glock.

Needless to say, he purchased an XDm 9MM Compact from the store we rented the guns from. When I flew back home from vacation with the family, I purchased one as well! :p

I ordered mine through Daniel at Powder River Precision with a few extra goodies:

XDm 3.8" 9MM Compact
- Black on Black
- Combat Trigger job (4.25-4.5 lbs)
- Dawson Fixed night sights F/R
- Recrowned factory barrel
- Polished feed ramp
- PRP Stainless Steel Ejector
- PRP Striker Retainer Pin
- Tuned magazine release

I also ordered a couple of holsters from Crossbreed:

SuperTuck Deluxe
- Combat Cut
- JClips
- Horsehide

Tuckable IWB Mag Carrier
- Single Mag
- Horsehide

I also picked up a "Leather OWB Mag Carrier" for range purposes. To complete the accessory list, I also ordered a couple of 19rnd 9MM magazines and an XDm cleaning mat. I have my next CCW certification course scheduled for 7/23/11, and plan on signing up on the next upcoming IDPA event. :razz:

Total "investment" was around ~$1450.00. Trick will be to see if the wife notices. We just had our 10 year anniversary on 6/30/11; if she does notice I will just tell her "thanks" for my anniversary gift.

Mike

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Shoulda bought 2 -- selfish!

·
Registered
408 Posts
lol.

Sounds like me hoping my wife does not notice the difference between several guns, that one holster is a SuperTuck and the other is a MiniTuck, that she does not recognize the difference between flashlights, does not wonder where all the ammo comes from, why the different knives. I have been caught out on several purchases. I tell her they were my rewards from bonuses at work. Since our rule is we can spend money made over normal pay on whatever we want, she does not get too bent when I only spend a little bit on myself...thank God.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoulda bought 2 -- selfish!
I was never good at shooting two pistols at once... :p In regards to the wife, she isn't a gun fan.

lol.

Sounds like me hoping my wife does not notice the difference between several guns, that one holster is a SuperTuck and the other is a MiniTuck, that she does not recognize the difference between flashlights, does not wonder where all the ammo comes from, why the different knives. I have been caught out on several purchases. I tell her they were my rewards from bonuses at work. Since our rule is we can spend money made over normal pay on whatever we want, she does not get too bent when I only spend a little bit on myself...thank God.
Yeah, my wife is very similiar; she isn't materialistic at all. She really doesn't care about what I do with the money as long as we have a roof over our heads and food on the table. Yet, the shock value of larger sum being depleted from our banking account usually earns me an eye-brow raise.

Speaking of which, I also purchased 1000 rounds of SELLIER & BELLOT 9mm, 115 grain today from Ammoman. Should be good ammo for the XDm and the Kel-Tech SUB 2000. :razz:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same here.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's to hoping the wife doesn't find out!

If she gets mad just say...

At least I'm not cheating on ya! hahaha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's to hoping the wife doesn't find out!

If she gets mad just say...

At least I'm not cheating on ya! hahaha.

A love affair with a hobby, even if you name your new pistols with girls names is a different kind of an affair.

ZenOhSix ,
You might also look at a new grip safty with the little hump in it. I think it will help with keeping you palm in the same place everytime and when you lock the slide open to take it appart. It doesn't seem like much but you have to have the grip safty pushed in, to rack the slide open.
Something to think about!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts