Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a good gun for my wife to carry. She tried an XD SC 9mm and found it to bulky for her. She's 5'2" and 130lbs. What do your wives/girlfriends carry? I'm looking for at least a 9mm. We looked at a little Kahr 9mm but I don't know much about this gun except the price was a good bit less than the XD. My wife runs marathons and is looking for something that she can carry while she trains and while she shuttles our kids around. Is there something that will fit the bill or will we have to buy two different guns?

Also, I'm looking for a good inexpensive mag holder that is easily concealed. Any suggestions?

What's a reasonable price to pay for an XD .40 4" mag? Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Gotta start the voting with a nod toward a revolver...lots of lightweight revolvers out there in some capable calibers.
That said...does she have gun experience? If so, maybe a Kahr would be a good choice...if not, the revolver offers uber reliable performance...pull trigger, bang! Pull trigger, bang.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dunno about light weight wheel gun. I shot a couples of friends ligh weight 38's and the kick worse than my S&W 357 mag. The are acctually painful to shoot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
given any thought to a makarov? nice and small, thin (comparativly).not much difference 9x18 to 9x19. also look at bersa thunder in .380/9mm i was impressed with them for the price

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
CZ-83 in 9mm Makarov. Light, small, low recoil, 12 round magazines, more punch then a .380, defensive ammo available from multiple sources, easy to care for in satin nickle finish, ambi safety and mag release. My wife got one and loves it. I like it too, a good semi-auto carry piece.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Kahr is a nice weapon if you can deal with the price. I found out about it from local sherriff's deputy, he carries as a back up gun. just my opinion.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Kahr P or PM series 9mm, they're a bit pricy but my wife loves the fit of the grip and recoil better than our XD subcompact and never shot groups with the XD like she does with the Kahr.

If she's a strong girl, they are coming out with a .45 ACP version this summer, then she really have some firepower!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen similar posts on other sites. Alot of people recommend taking the wife to the shop and let her pick out what she feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My vote goes for the Lady smith.....thin, light, and what a beautiful finish
Steve

PS, want one myself! haha dont tell anyone though

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
GROD said:
I have seen similar posts on other sites. Alot of people recommend taking the wife to the shop and let her pick out what she feels comfortable with.
Definate +1 on this. That is how my wife got the gun she now carries. Guns are very personal, as long as it is not a spitball gun let her get what she likes. Also encourage her to rent at ranges that have rentals so she can get a feel for what is out there. Nothing worse then handing a gun to a wife, saying, "Here, this is what I use so it is what you should use." and letting her sink or swim with it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm wondering if it's the carry method and not the gun that 's the problem. I suggest a 9mm compact, such as the XD9SC or the Kahr, and to carry it in a fanny pack. There are a lot of nice gun packs out there that look like regular fanny packs, and in almost any part of the country it is normal for a woman to have a fanny pack.

The one I have and the one's I've seen all have a hidden holster in a secret compartment next to the body which has a quick grab tab to pull it open incredibly quickly. The compartment holds a gun plus one or more spare mags. The fanny packs also have several regular pockets on the front which can carry her wallet, cellphone, keys, etc. if she wants to use it as a small purse as well.

They come in all styles and colors, even leather, to suit whatever she likes.

For running there aren't too many other good choices. For daily taxi driver duty she could get a gun purse that has a hidden compartment, but IMHO it is much better to have the gun on her person rather than in a purse which could be stolen or out of reach when she needs it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
just bought a 9mm XD SC for my wife, she loves it. She didn't like my 642. She thinks it kicks too much. I bought her a new conceled purse and of course she didnt like it so Ihad to buy her another. Let me know if your wife might be ibnterested in a purse. It has never been used. *shrug*

G

·
I couldn't help it. This is what I thought when I saw the title.

A stainless revolver would be nice in this situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.