Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting problem that I cannot understand.

I have 2 10 round magazines, one .40 cal and one .357 sig (As I understand it they are one and the same with the exception of the stamping on the baseplate) that I used in my 9mm. I did this after learning that you can fit 15 9mm rounds in them.

Anyway, they both function perfectly, cycling all ammo without a hitch.

The problem is the .357 mag. If it is loaded with 10 or less rounds, it inserts and drops out efforlessly (the way the .40 cal one does all the time no matter how many rounds are stuffed in it). As soon as you exceed 10 rounds in it, it requires substantial effort to insert into the magazine well, and will not drop out - I have to pull it out of the well. It does this whenever loaded with 11-15 rounds, but will not do this with 10 or less.

How can this be? What is the remedy?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The spring in the 40 mag is really strong still. Infact try this as a test. Put the 40 spring in the 357 mags and see if it now has the problem. Load up the mag and let it sit for a while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James, where is the resistance coming from exactly? I don't see how the spring pushing up would have an effect. It feels as if (although I know this is not possible) the rounds are pushing on the outside walls of the magazine, making it a little fatter. I'm just trying to understand the physics of this...

·
Registered
260 Posts
On my XD40 SC the magazines, when new, fell out of the gun whether full or empty. Now, all three of my mags need to be pulled from the gun whether full or empty. I measured the long-ways (fore to aft) distance on the mags and, at the top, they were just a tad longer. I put a block of wood for a cushion and tapped on the mags with a hammer and this solved the problem but only for a short while. I think the rounds moving fore and aft during firing are swelling the mags at the top.

WyoBob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts