1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
Eh... More like a Edge Pro. It looks to be a much better Lansky for a cheap guided sharpener. There's another out there, I forget the name, Chinese, it has a clamp, and you rotate the clamp, but all metal. It does really good for less than Edge Pro. Like this

Regardless... That looks nice. I'm sure they will do more stones.

Reactions: Gigantore

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks pretty good, but release appears to have been delayed.

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
Thing is Lansky can make a good edge and it's cheap. However, I never liked mine. Stones are too small, and clamp wasn't very secure. It doesn't take much to make a workable guide. This does look pretty good. Hopefully it's secure, and then it would do good. We'll see I suppose.

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Oh yeah...I use Lansky...get a good edge on it...then use the green polishing compound from Horrorfrieght (harbor freight) or from the craftsman package from Lowes on a stroping stick I made from gluing an old leather belt on to a paint stick and strop it about 50-100 times on there...razor sharp after...then NEVER have to sharpen again...I strop...if it feels like it's dulling strop it up, ok, the only time I re-sharpen is if I get a big nick or burr on the blade, but usually it stays very sharp, I also put a 25° angle on each side for GP, sharp but retains the edge MUCH better

Oh another neat trick...flip a coffee cup over, use the porcelain side on the bottom to remove nicks/burrs, it's very fine sharpening stone and won't eat up your blade

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is exactly how it goes for me...Lansky + strop, then periodic re-strop is all I ever seem to need.
Oh yeah...I use Lansky...get a good edge on it...then use the green polishing compound from Horrorfrieght (harbor freight) or from the craftsman package from Lowes on a stroping stick I made from gluing an old leather belt on to a paint stick and strop it about 50-100 times on there...razor sharp after...then NEVER have to sharpen again...I strop...if it feels like it's dulling strop it up
...But, that work sharp unit looks a bit more streamlined.

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
This is exactly how it goes for me...Lansky + strop, then periodic re-strop is all I ever seem to need.

...But, that work sharp unit looks a bit more streamlined.
And I know that is a long time thing... I don't really get it though. Everything I've seen on stopping is about basically "dressing" the edge. That at first edges don't really "dull". They actually bend over. Stopping straightens out the edge again. There is no abrasive, and even polishing is mild, so certainly not sharpening an edge.

But I don't know if that is for older carbon steels. Same thing with "steels" and chef knives. Most food knives are not super steels. Just stainless.

With all my super steels, edges tend to nic more, and I certainly don't see edges bending or even rolling. They stay sharp a long time, then they need to be sharpened, and I don't see stopping helping.

Well crap... Now I'm going to have to make a decent one and strop a daily use and see how long the edge keeps up.

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
And I know that is a long time thing... I don't really get it though. Everything I've seen on stopping is about basically "dressing" the edge. That at first edges don't really "dull". They actually bend over. Stopping straightens out the edge again. There is no abrasive, and even polishing is mild, so certainly not sharpening an edge.

But I don't know if that is for older carbon steels. Same thing with "steels" and chef knives. Most food knives are not super steels. Just stainless.

With all my super steels, edges tend to nic more, and I certainly don't see edges bending or even rolling. They stay sharp a long time, then they need to be sharpened, and I don't see stopping helping.

Well crap... Now I'm going to have to make a decent one and strop a daily use and see how long the edge keeps up.
Most steel will retain it's edge ok...only the high carbon hardened stuff stays a long time (my dad had an old old old buck knife...you couldn't dull it...it was hardened to like 55 rockwell...I bet it was a bit brittle though but we never smacked it on stuff...only used it to skin meat like it wasn't even connected)

With that said if you aren't beating on the knife and nicking the blade on stuff that is harder than blade itself stroping is all you need to touch up the blade (stroping with a mid/mild polishing compound actually removes metal but only enough to "polish" the cutting edge)...otherwise you have to recut an edge with one of those precision sharperners

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
I have strops and diamond emusuon for my Wicked Edge. Mainly polish, and I don't do a lot of that. You are supposed to lower the angle to not round off the edge, but I don't really care for that. You just have to take care with pressure to not round off with any strop.

But now I'm curious. I can make a decent padle strop to see how that performs, and use my WE strop to compare.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have strops and diamond emusuon for my Wicked Edge. Mainly polish, and I don't do a lot of that. You are supposed to lower the angle to not round off the edge, but I don't really care for that. You just have to take care with pressure to not round off with any strop.

But now I'm curious. I can make a decent padle strop to see how that performs, and use my WE strop to compare.
Was thinking the same about making strops to fit. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they are already working on some finer stuff. But I’m sure you could make one with leather or a nice wet stone. For what it’s worth, using just a little water/slurry really makes a big difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No need to overthink it. I just glued an old belt rough side out to a 2x4 and rubbed on the red polishing compound that came with my Dremel. Works like a champ.

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
So my co-worker got one of these. I have to say, for the money... Its really solid.

20210403_081841.jpg

It certainly needs more stones. Im sure thwy will be getting more. There are already plenty of you tube videos on use. You can also get film, sandpaper, and stick on to ceramic portion. Stones are small like lasky... But for pocket knives, and compared to lansky and others... This seems really nice.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my co-worker got one of these. I have to say, for the money... Its really solid.

View attachment 836689

It certainly needs more stones. Im sure thwy will be getting more. There are already plenty of you tube videos on use. You can also get film, sandpaper, and stick on to ceramic portion. Stones are small like lasky... But for pocket knives, and compared to lansky and others... This seems really nice.
I ended up buying one too. And I agree that it’s missing some stones. The little 3 grit set up they have would be cool if you could get another one that has 3 finer stones. It’s a simple platform. And pretty affordable

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
I ended up buying one too. And I agree that it’s missing some stones. The little 3 grit set up they have would be cool if you could get another one that has 3 finer stones. It’s a simple platform. And pretty affordable
Ya, for what it is, there is not much to complain about. I think it is a huge improvement over lansky.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just redid the angle on my Applegate combat folder. I sharpened it and it’s false edge using the belt sharpener from worksharp. The belt rounded the edges. I used the 320 to get the edges back. It’s crazy sharp right now. I also put a this line of honing oil on the edge before one last pass with the fine stone.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I have the Worksharp KO belt sharpener. It seems to work good on the lower end blade steels. But, not so good on the better/higher end steels. Think I will give this Worksharp precision angle sharpener a try.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the Worksharp KO belt sharpener. It seems to work good on the lower end blade steels. But, not so good on the better/higher end steels. Think I will give this Worksharp precision angle sharpener a try.
Big upgrade over the belt. Went through the wife’s kitchen knives last night. Crazy how fast they sharpen once you have the right angle.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Big upgrade over the belt. Went through the wife’s kitchen knives last night. Crazy how fast they sharpen once you have the right angle.
Just ordered one a few minutes ago. Should be here Friday. Can't wait to give it a try and sharpen some old knives this weekend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts