Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I shot an XD service model for the first time. Actually, it was the first time I had shot a handgun, period. At any rate, after 50 rounds, my trigger finger was all red, slightly sore and had some broken blood vesels on it. Why is this? Is this a common shooting experience? Something unique with the XD?

·
Registered
359 Posts
How fast did you empty that gun? Heheh.

Well, I have read some instances on this very board where the trigger safety isn't sized right for the trigger. It remains raised, even when disengaged by the trigger finger, creating a rough surface that might cause abrasions or general discomfort...

That being said, I've never had a sore trigger finger from any gun. If you're new to handguns, or handguns in general, perhaps you're ramming that trigger to the rear of the receiver in firing the weapon. Squeeze evenly and smoothly and let the trigger break surprise you. Hold the trigger to the rear during recoil and getting your sight picture back. You can then release the trigger for reset (that little click). In doing this, you're ensuring the pad of the finger is in contact with the trigger during recoil. Perhaps before you were really really excited to be firing your first handgun, and an XD at that! You might have been releasing your finger from the trigger enough to cause some abrasion to it during recoil. The above (general) method will make sure your trigger finger doesn't move around on the trigger that much, especially during recoil.

Happy and safe shooting, hope you enjoyed the XD!

-stunks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon a little further reading, I think it may have been "trigger slap." I doubt with only 50 rounds fired I would've pulled the trigger so hard I burised my trigger finger.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I would hazard a guess that you may be sliding your finger pad across the front of the trigger when you shoot, causing friction rash. Compared to other guns I have shot, the XD trigger causes me no discomfort at all but I have experienced what you are describing from shooting a Henry Survival rifle that had a rather rough trigger face.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry, I might have been a little long winded there for no reason. I thought your finger might have been irritated by the trigger. If you want to reduce trigger slap, try to do your best to keep your finger on the trigger throughout recoil. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't :?

-stunks

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first experience with an XD (using a friend's 9mm service) was the similar. After 2 magazines, my trigger finger felt raw from the safety rubbing across it during recoil. I started to be a little more authoritative on the trigger and the problem vanished.

I pick up my XD40 on Tuesday and I'll see if I've got the problem licked when it get to the range.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Senegat,

The best thing you can do is dry fire practice. Learn how the XD's trigger moves and focus on the placement of your trigger finger. Use just the tip of your finger and go straight back. Going side and back with the trigger ridges can cause some discomfort.

OS

PS: Make sure that gun is empty and you have no ammo in the room when you are dry firing. Check for clear twice, just to make sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts