Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
having owned some of the other ususall suspects- glocks ,m&P, HK, walthers, kimbers, i tried out an xdm 3.8 9mm the other day and it shot well and felt quite good. but before i shell out $$, i'd appreicate some feedback from seasoned members of their take of the xdm, especially comparing it to the aforementioned guns.

many thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a Bi-tone-XDM 4.5 9mm.

1. Ammo capacity (this is my first 9mm, and I wanted to be able to carry a LOT of ammo)
2. It looks good
3. I'm kinda glocked out

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
... i tried out an xdm 3.8 9mm the other day and it shot well and felt quite good.
I think you answered your own question.....:D

I also seem to shoot better iwth my XD and XD(M)s

Some things I really like.

SA has great customer service if needed
Their guns look and function great
Changable back straps for different size hands
Loaded Chamber indicator, grip safety,
USA trigger system and Striker indicator
Match Grade barrel
High capacity Magazines
Point and Shoot Ergonomics, natural feel
Lifetime Warranty, if needed

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I first started shooting, before I purchased a gun, I had a hard time reaching the trigger, because my fingers are on the short side. So I looked around and got recommendations for guns that would work for me. The XDm actually wasn't on the list, but my brother put the small backstrap on his and it really fit my hand.

As it turns out, most of my problem was the gun was too much into the center of my hand, and after fixing my grip, I've since switched to using the largest backstrap, because the gun is easier to control and points more naturally that way. The fact that I can make those adjustments is a big selling point for me.

I also like that you don't have to pull the trigger to take it down. If you follow the take down procedures correctly, the chances are fairly slim that you'd have an ND because of the need to pull the trigger, but a couple people have reported injuries here from it, so it does happen.

All in all, I really love the platform. I started with the 4.5 and carried it daily, and then got a Compact, which is what I carry now, with the 4.5 being the home defense gun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I first started shooting, before I purchased a gun, I had a hard time reaching the trigger, because my fingers are on the short side. So I looked around and got recommendations for guns that would work for me. The XDm actually wasn't on the list, but my brother put the small backstrap on his and it really fit my hand.

As it turns out, most of my problem was the gun was too much into the center of my hand, and after fixing my grip, I've since switched to using the largest backstrap, because the gun is easier to control and points more naturally that way. The fact that I can make those adjustments is a big selling point for me.

I also like that you don't have to pull the trigger to take it down. If you follow the take down procedures correctly, the chances are fairly slim that you'd have an ND because of the need to pull the trigger, but a couple people have reported injuries here from it, so it does happen.

All in all, I really love the platform. I started with the 4.5 and carried it daily, and then got a Compact, which is what I carry now, with the 4.5 being the home defense gun.
+1 For the customization of the gun. That is a BIG selling feature for me. I do like to have the choice to customize a grip. I'm really particular in that regard. All of the guns the OP listed are quality firearms, but the choice of guns or why to purchase boils down to user preference....period. Buy what you feel comfortable with and what has features that match your needs/wants.

I have shot all of the gun brands you listed, and while they are all quality brands that perform well for many, I just wasn't really a fan...Here's why for those interested:

1.) The glock just didn't feel right in my hands, and it didn't have the safety features or aesthetics (I know I'm vain....Glocks are ugly...I know it's cliche....) I was looking for at the time that I made my purchases. My God, my brother LOVES his Glock 19. It's a great gun. It's a beast with a perfect track record after thousands of rounds, but it wasn't for me.

2.) I looked very hard at Walthers before I bought my first handgun, but it didn't have the capacity of safety features I was looking for in a HD/CC gun, either.

3.) Kimbers...well, Kimbers are awesome....Especially the 1911 platforms. I have friends and family that would swear that the Kimber 1911 is the best version ever produced...I tend to agree, but I just can't justify the expense, and I wanted higher magazine capacity.

4.) HKs just dont feel right in the hand to me and aren't worth the price paid for what you get IMHO. There are enough comparable, quality firearms that can be had at half the cost. It's just my opinion...take it as you will.

So, I bought a Beretta PX4 9mm.....and then an XDM .45acp :D. Both my PX4 9mm and my XDM .45acp met all of my preferences. My Beretta has a high round capacity, has performed flawlessly for over 1500 rounds, has a completely customizable grip, is freakishly accurate in my hands and has additional safety features that I feel are necessary in a nightstand gun.

My XDM .45acp has performed flawlessly for the short time I have owned it and is now my EDC gun. It feels perfectly right at home in my hands (with the replaceable grips just like the PX4 and Gen 4 Glock for that matter), has a higher caliber that suits my preferences and all of the safety features that I want in a gun that will still shoot every time I pull the trigger without having to worry about tripping a safety lever or having a ND while carried IWB. Additionally, SA's customer service thus far has been nothing short of amazing to me, and the thought of a lifetime warranty makes me sleep better at night....not that I really ever worry about using it for anything beyond maintenance work.

So, it boils down to what meets each person's needs/wants....that's it.....but I love my XDM :D.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Good read from Chuck Taylor-

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY'S XD-9 A TRUE 21ST CENTURY PISTOL

To sum up: "In short, I think the XD-9 has all the traits necessary to become a legendary pistol and at the very least represents the first quantum leap in handgun technology since the Glock first appeared in the mid-1980s."

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got the wife a xdm 9mm 4.5 because she always complained about the recoil of my .40 USPc. she shoots very well for her level of experience. and having 4 19round mags makes trips to the range fun.there ae a couple things I would change... like the thumb rest on the side of the frame, with a propre grip they are useless.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Well.

I either own or have owned Glocks in 9mm and .45acp, in pretty much every model in each caliber (all except a G17L and G18 ); S&W M&P; HK USP45 and USP45T; 1911's from RIA to Les Baer (and several in between); Sigs; Berettas; Brownings; and, finally, a XDm.

Of those, the XDm was the only one I was really gained a dislike for. It has, in my e'er so humble opinion, the worst trigger in a striker fired polymer pistol outside of a HK VP70z. That, and I think it's seriously overpriced for what you get.

I can see myself buying a few of those pistols again; some I liked, but got rid of simply because I wanted something else more. Another XDm, however...almost certainly not.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The Xdm felt better in my hand and had better natural pointing. Close your eyes,then bring the gun up and see if it's on target. The Glocks were all way off for me and the XD's were on target. Sure, I could have spent the time and effort learning new muscle memory, but why?

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I was deciding between polymer pistols I was looking at Glocks, M&Ps, Beretta PX4, Ruger SR-9, and CZ SP-01 Phantom/Shadow.

Don't like Glocks, never have, never will. Never liked the looks and don't like the grips. Don't get me wrong, Glocks are great guns and have nice triggers, but they're not for me... nor will they ever be.

I like M&Ps, really like the ergonomics of the grips and controls, nice sights, kinda nice looking (ugly you can fall for kinda deal, eh), and cheap! Biggest downside, hate the trigger. Most of the research I did on the M&P showed most people were getting trigger kits right off the bat. So, the dollar price just went up almost $100. Still would like one one day.

Beretta PX4, really like it. Fits well in the hands, trigger is decent, unique looking, shot well. Downside, very hard to find up here and more expensive than it should be.

Ruger SR-9, great price! Grip was a little thin for me, trigger felt very, very stagey, but I hear it gets better with time.

CZ? Felt awesome in the hands, great sites, nice trigger... But, it was heavy and I didn't feel like dropping $800+ tax for it.

XDM, great price and value! Felt great in the hands, trigger was different but I could work with it, sights lined up very nicely, also you don't see them a lot up here so I kinda wanted to be a little different. I used to hate the look of the XDs, but I love the look of the XDM... weird innit? Did I mention the value?! Big case, holster, mag pouches, mag loader? Not too shabby for added value. Lots of XDM aftermarket parts out there too, so that helped me make up my mind. Other great features, that don't really apply to us up here in Canuckistan, 19 round factory magazine??! I really like my XDM.

That being said, just like all firearm purchases it comes down to your personal preference. Does it fit well for you? Does it meet your wants and needs? Do you like it's overall and potential value? Every firearm has people who love it and people who really really hate it. Hell, I know people who hate 1911s! Not really friends with them anymore, mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great feedback fro you all, thank you!
now -
1. what is the average going price out there for an xdm 3.8"9mm?

2. what are the top 5 after market mods you have done to your xd/xdm? did you send it to S/A CUSTOM SHOP, or did you use some of the speciallty outlests?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Every firearm has people who love it and people who really really hate it. Hell, I know people who hate 1911s! Not really friends with them anymore, mind.

So true!

2. what are the top 5 after market mods you have done to your xd/xdm? did you send it to S/A CUSTOM SHOP, or did you use some of the speciallty outlests?
The majority of folks will get a DIY kit either from PRP or Springer. Some will send the gun in to them or to SA's custom shop. The cost just to ship the gun is on the order of 75-100 bucks as it needs to go next day air. Then figure the cost of the smith doing the install / tuning added to the parts cost and the time to get it all done --> becomes pretty clear why many are doing it themselves!

There have been nothing but good reviews of the kits from Springer and PRP. My opinion is that the PRP kit is slightly easier to install and tune, but both are VERY good and easy enough for a casual tool user to be successful with them. Just watch the videos, read the "how to's" online and ask questions as needed.

Aside from the trigger kits, polishing (very lightly smoothing) places where the parts rub or contact each other will improve the feel of the trigger. Especially the sear and striker. However, if you are not confident you can JUST smooth without removing metal or changing the contours --> it's probably best to leave this area alone. Goofing up here can result in a gun that is no longer safe or is less reliable.

One area that benefits from being polished is the mag release where the tab in the gun holds the magazine. Easiest way is to just close the slide then insert a 100% full mag and then press the button to release it -- over and over and over. That will polish the interface and result in smoother action with less force to press the button. BUT a full mag has a LOT of pressure from the spring so it will never be super easy to press with a full mag. Just make sure the chamber is empty when doing it! You may want to load the last couple rounds with snap caps to be on the safe side.

Last thing is just to fill the magazines, point the gun downrange and practice. If you like to dry fire at home a cheap laser sight and snap caps will make practice more enjoyable.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Good read from Chuck Taylor-

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY'S XD-9 A TRUE 21ST CENTURY PISTOL

To sum up: "In short, I think the XD-9 has all the traits necessary to become a legendary pistol and at the very least represents the first quantum leap in handgun technology since the Glock first appeared in the mid-1980s."
LOL
I quoted part of that article yesterday (in another thread) ... The XD9 performed a ransom style test, and delivered 2 inch groups at 25 yards.

It's kind of hard to say these guns can't be shot accurately, if the shooter does their part.

As for the XDm ... It really comes down to what you want, and how it feels in the hand.
I'd never turn either gun away, but I do think the XD offers a better value.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
great feedback fro you all, thank you!
now -
1. what is the average going price out there for an xdm 3.8"9mm?

I take it you're not even going to consider the XD ?

I'd at least hold one, before you commit to the XDm ONLY.

FYI:
The XD9 is selling for $430 with free shipping.
The XDm 4.5 is selling for $549, and the 3.8 is $551

Concerning mod's
Some people are doing drop in trigger jobs, and others are paying to have this work done ... Myself, I've just been shooting mine for years, and have over 13,000 through it with 3 ammo related failures, and no gun related failures.
It's still totally stock, and running like a watch.

Others have or are doing the same with the XDm ... IMO, they're both solid performers.

Also,
Some people have read to much into roll pin replacement, and change the striker roll pin to an after-market version, but like I said ... I'm still totally stock, and doing fine YMMV.

Best of luck with your final decision, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ended up with the XD because I could not find a M&P Pro. As soon as I find a M&P the XD is up for sale. Nothing wrong with the XD just not what I wanted to start with.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I paid about $600 locally for the XDM9 4.5" and about $600 for the XDM9c 3.8". Only mod I have done is add Trijicon night sights. Great guns, and being left handed I really like the ambidextrous magazine release.

·
Registered
60 Posts
having owned some of the other ususall suspects- glocks ,m&P, HK, walthers, kimbers, i tried out an xdm 3.8 9mm the other day and it shot well and felt quite good. but before i shell out $$, i'd appreicate some feedback from seasoned members of their take of the xdm, especially comparing it to the aforementioned guns.

many thanks for any input.
I found it easy to justify purchase of an XD9 over the above mentioned brands, and over the XDm as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I take it you're not even going to consider the XD ?

I'd at least hold one, before you commit to the XDm ONLY.

FYI:
The XD9 is selling for $430 with free shipping.
The XDm 4.5 is selling for $549, and the 3.8 is $551

best of luck with your final decision, and welcome to the forum.
thank you for your kind reply. what are the main differences between the xd and the xdm, besides one being the origina design and the second the newer more recent additon?are there any fundumental differences?
what attracts me initally to the xdm paltform is the abundance of A/M accsseories and tweeks one can do to this fine weapon. my previous 2 glock 19s were modified some, but that was 10 years ago.....

and btw,"barack obama means jimmy carter in kenyan...." :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts