Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting today and noticed an odd hole in my target and didn't think much about it. Later in the day I went shooting again with a friend of mine and noticed a few more odd shaped holes in my target.

I was shooting a mixture of PMC Bronze 55grn. and Georgia Arms factory reloads. I am fairly certain that it was happening with the GA ammo, but I can't be 100% on that. Using a Spikes 16in 1:7 chrome lined middy upper.

I cleaned the rifle and didn't see anything in the barrel that would have caused it, and it only happened on 5 rounds out of the 110 I shot today.

I guess my questions is, would it be something wrong with my rifle, or can improperly reloaded ammo cause this as well?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Georgia arms stuff is 55 grn as well and says 3150 fps on it. I don't think it is skipping/ricocheting at all, it was an open path to the target.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
Bad ammo.

Damage to your barrel crown.

If you;ve never seen an issue like this before shooting ammo of the same weght (and a 1:7 barrel shouldn't keyhole 55grn bullets), it's the ammo.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Bad ammo.

If you;ve never seen an issue like this before shooting ammo of the same weght (and a 1:7 barrel shouldn't keyhole 55grn bullets), it's the ammo.
+1

1:7 will stabilize a 55gr bullet, this twist is good for 40-77gr (depending on who you ask or where you look) bullets and would not have caused the bullet to tumble. Personally I would use a little heavier than 55gr in 1:7 but it should not cause the tumble that you got there....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad ammo.

After re-checking my targets I can say it was the GA arms stuff. I have shot a few hundred rds of the PMC with out a single issue, and I haven't dropped my rifle or banged it on anything to damage the crown. I'm not real sure how I would damage it with the flash hider on it.

I am going to call Georgia Arms and let them know, unfortunately I already threw away that package (I had two packs, I got the info off the second one) and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Key holes look awsome though. I use PMC all the time and consider it to be great ammo..just a little on the dirty side. If it were say a burr on the crown or something related to the barrel, you would see more than 5 key holes out 110 rounds.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Key holes look awsome though. I use PMC all the time and consider it to be great ammo..just a little on the dirty side. If it were say a burr on the crown or something related to the barrel, you would see more than 5 key holes out 110 rounds.
Ha, they look cool as long as they aren't caused by equipment I spent my hard earned money on. I figured if it was a barrel issue then it would have been more prevalent, but I figured I could ask the local experts on xdtalk for a little confirmation.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Reading all your input guessing undercharged rounds and low velocity. 1:7 twist should stabilize a long 55 grain pill easy at 3150 fps. Seems as though you have narrowed it down to the brand causing the problem. If you still have some of the GAs and access to a chrono check their speed.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If they try and tell you that it was because you were shooting 55gr from a 1:7 barrel...tell 'em they're full of (dung)....

LOL...+1 again! :)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
What distance where you shooting? Did you check the muzzle and flash suppressor?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What distance where you shooting? Did you check the muzzle and flash suppressor?
I was shooting at 50 yds at first. I had two targets, lined up vertically. I shot 20 rds of the PMC at the lower target and had a really nice tight group. Then I shot the GA ammo at the upper target and it was pretty spread out. Didn't think much about it just thought it was me. Then I realized there was an odd hole on the lower target on the right side (all my original shots were on the left). Didn't know what it could be. Then, a friend of mine came over and we went in the back yard and shot at about 20-25 yds. Hits were all over the place again, and noticed a few odd hits then. So I looked at it closely for a few minutes, realized what happened, then looked at my targets from earlier in the day. I realized the odd hole on my very first (bottom target at 50 yds) target was a tumbling bullet from the top target.

I haven't seen anything in the barrel/muzzle, and I didn't change anything or bump it/drop the rifle from the first mag of PMC to the next 100ish rounds of GA ammo. I'll re check the flash suppressor though.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Bullets are probably too soft to handle the 1:7 twist.

Most likely deforming while jumping the lands in the barrel. Check and see if you have any fouling in the barrel, I bet you do.

Try using some copper solvent, and see if much comes out.

As it's already been said, it could of course be due to improper loading of the round on GA's part. But in my experiences with their 357sig and 45gap ammo, the stuff was highly accurate and loaded decently. All of it spec'd out nicely as well.

·
Registered
17,815 Posts
55 grain in a 1:7, overstabilization

Ok..a bit oversimplified..but unlike a football where it archs tip first...overstabilize makes it no rotate properly..kinda like a gyroscope...thus the round hits sideways (doesn't mean it won't shoot...but it does mean it might do funky weird things ballistically)

1:7 is best for heavier 62+ grain rounds
1:8 good for most all rounds 40-75 grain rounds
1:9 best for lighter faster rounds 62- grain rounds

You can calculate rpm of the round by fps and the twist rate! and 55grains at 3150fps and 1 5/7 turn every foot that thing is turning and burning!

·
Registered
542 Posts
No no no 1/9 is for 40 to 70 grain...Thats according to an email from Stag that I posted in the AR forum. I would trust what the Maker says over anybody else. AW you even agreed LOL.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/176986-1-9-twist.html

AwPhuch
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12586

1:9 all but 70 or more grains for best performance (heavier tends to be less stable)

1:8. pretty much everything (my brother can stack 3-75 grainers in 3/8" at 100 yrds)

1:7 everything over 60+ grains (tends to overstabilize very light rounds)

Vietnam was 1:12...you can pretty much shoot anything out of a 1:9 or tighter...but specific grain weights tend to work better with particular twist rates.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Actually, specific BARRELS tend to like different things. I have a 1:9 that shoots 75 gr pretty well. Even if it prefers lighter stuff.

As for Georgia Arms, it is not impossible to get a bad batch of ammo. From them or anyone.

But all my experiences with them have been positive. I've shot a lot of their ammo. Especially in my SMG.

·
Registered
17,815 Posts
No no no 1/9 is for 40 to 70 grain...Thats according to an email from Stag that I posted in the AR forum. I would trust what the Maker says over anybody else. AW you even agreed LOL.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/176986-1-9-twist.html

AwPhuch
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12586

1:9 all but 70 or more grains for best performance (heavier tends to be less stable)
1:9 best for lighter faster rounds 62- grain rounds

1:8. pretty much everything (my brother can stack 3-75 grainers in 3/8" at 100 yrds)
1:8 good for most all rounds 40-75 grain rounds

1:7 everything over 60+ grains (tends to overstabilize very light rounds)
1:7 is best for heavier 62+ grain rounds

Vietnam was 1:12...you can pretty much shoot anything out of a 1:9 or tighter...but specific grain weights tend to work better with particular twist rates.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
OK...how was I any different from before, worded differently but still the same thing (well the listing of the grains are a bit different..but I said practically the same thing old to new)

P.S. I never said the bullets wouldn't shoot...but they tend to do better with particular twist rates
you can pretty much shoot anything out of a 1:9 or tighter...but specific grain weights tend to work better with particular twist rates.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts