Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been in rap songs, movies, slang street talk etc. Not to mention it's popularity here and the world. It has been standard army issue and still is I think. I have a friend who knows of an idiot at work who shot himself in the knee with hydrashok ammo the bullet didn't even pierce the knee cap...luckily, it rolled off and out the back of the knee. The 9mm is the utmost glorified caliber/gun to date. But it's considered a "girls round" by many of pros and even myself with no knock down power and stories of officers having to pump a person up with full clips before stopping them are far to common. NYPD carries 9's with hydrashock ammo. Why not carry a .40 or 45 and be done with it? So.........why the 9.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
How about I end this thread who the hell cares what you think, or what you shoot. Dont judge others calibres who cares what anyone eles uses just worry about becomming proficient with what you use.

That said some people shoot softer recoiling calibres better. Imagin you have arthritis the 9 may be all you can handle. Or how about a women shooter. Any round is better than nothing including a 22. If I had a choice nothing or 22 I will take the 22.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I had to go back and change part of what I said. But my pet peeve is someone who limits them selves and then tells others they are wrong. why lit your self to one calibre shoot them all and enjoy. Its like limiting you self to only Glocks......there are plenty of fun guns to shoot as well a calibres.

·
Registered
193 Posts
KDXD said:
The 9mm is the utmost glorified caliber/gun to date. But it's considered a "girls round" by many of pros and even myself with no knock down power and stories of officers having to pump a person up with full clips before stopping them are far to common. .
MAGAZINES NOT CLIPS!! UGHHH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
KDXD said:
It's been in rap songs, movies, slang street talk etc. Not to mention it's popularity here and the world. It has been standard army issue and still is I think. I have a friend who knows of an idiot at work who shot himself in the knee with hydrashok ammo the bullet didn't even pierce the knee cap...luckily, it rolled off and out the back of the knee. The 9mm is the utmost glorified caliber/gun to date. But it's considered a "girls round" by many of pros and even myself with no knock down power and stories of officers having to pump a person up with full clips before stopping them are far to common. NYPD carries 9's with hydrashock ammo. Why not carry a .40 or 45 and be done with it? So.........why the 9.
Bad shot placement. Have 2 in the chest and one in the head and see what you say about "no knockdown power"

With advances in ammo a 9mm is more than enough to take someone out and with less recoil followup shots tend to be more accurate

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
KDXD said:
KDXD, this is mall ninja stuff.

·
Registered
308 Posts
KDXD said:
NYPD carries 9's with hydrashock ammo. Why not carry a .40 or 45 and be done with it? So.........why the 9.
NYPD carries 9mm 124 gr +P Gold Dot. Get your facts straight before posting them.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
There is no such thing as knock down power. If a round could knock someone down it would also know down the person shooting the gun.
The round just needs to go deep enough and causes enough damage via blood loss and tissue damage to quickly disable the BG. A well placed 9mm is much better than a poorly placed .40 or .45.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ok you guys, give him a break. all he did was basically ask a simple question. maybe he got the facts wrong, so what. Are you all the Ninja police or what :D

steve

·
Registered
449 Posts
Read for yourself about the effects of various ammos. It's very interesting stuff. Wound Ballistics

With the exceptions of hits to the brain or upper spinal cord, the concept of reliable and reproducible immediate incapacitation of the human target by gunshot wounds to the torso is a myth
Psychological factors are probably the most important relative to achieving rapid incapacitation from a gunshot wound to the torso. Awareness of the injury (often delayed by the suppression of pain); fear of injury, death, blood, or pain; intimidation by the weapon or the act of being shot; preconceived notions of what people do when they are shot; or the simple desire to quit can all lead to rapid incapacitation even from minor wounds. However, psychological factors are also the primary cause of incapacitation failures.
A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter and he too would be knocked down. This is simple physics, and has been known for hundreds of years.31 The amount of energy deposited in the body by a bullet is approximately equivalent to being hit with a baseball.32 Tissue damage is the only physical link to incapacitation within the desired time frame, i.e., instantaneously.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well lets see......he wasn't talking about whats "fun" to shoot or not to shoot......and he wasn't talking about if you have arthritus.....and he wasn't talking about if your a female or not....and he wasn't talking about shot placement....or if magazines is the correct term......or that its better to be armed with a 9mm than nothing.... or any of the other 20 things you guys read into his post. What he WAS talking about is the FACT that the 9mm has been hyped way beyond its capabilities. It is a marginal round for self-defence at best and if we could all put two to the chest and one to the head in a split second, everytime, without fail, then we could all just walk around with a big stick. If you are physically able to shoot and control a larger caliber for self defence and still choose the "wonder9" you do so at your own risk. Is it better than nothing? Yes. Will it out perform a 40s&w...or a 45acp...or a 45GAP...or a 10mm...or a 357sig?.....NO. My suggestion....get a 40XD...buy the 9mm conversion barrel.....shoot all the cheap 9mm ammo you want. But when its time for business.....stick with a PROVEN caliber.

·
Registered
170 Posts
KDXD said:
NYPD carries 9's with hydrashock ammo. Why not carry a .40 or 45 and be done with it? ...
Done with what???

A .40 or .45 won't knock s#!t on their azz either with poor shot placement.

You want "knockdown power"??? Sling a 590 over your shoulder with 3in slugs...then you'll be "done with it"

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
And then there were the two guys in the bar. One says your 22 won't kill nothing, you need a big gun. The other one gets pissed and goes out to his truck, gets his 22, comes back in the bar and shoots the other one dead. Who won the argument? Moral of the story is, this subject will always turn into a pissing contest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ajamesp51 said:
How about I end this thread who the hell cares what you think, or what you shoot. Dont judge others calibres who cares what anyone eles uses just worry about becomming proficient with what you use.

That said some people shoot softer recoiling calibres better. Imagin you have arthritis the 9 may be all you can handle. Or how about a women shooter. Any round is better than nothing including a 22. If I had a choice nothing or 22 I will take the 22.
Easy there sparky, that’s why I asked "why the 9" I really want to know, I have a well thought out valid post here. Maybe I wanted to get educated, I'm not referring to people that have arthritis. Think what others people’s motives when they post before you attack sir. Not all of us are always slamming. However I expected to get flack from some people, it's all good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a1XD9 said:
KDXD said:
The 9mm is the utmost glorified caliber/gun to date. But it's considered a "girls round" by many of pros and even myself with no knock down power and stories of officers having to pump a person up with full clips before stopping them are far to common. .
MAGAZINES NOT CLIPS!! UGHHH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I stand corrected the clip is in long arms and full auto's in most cases.

·
Registered
595 Posts
O.K. class. Now repeat after me....."MY NINE BY DESIGN SHOOTS IT BULLET IN A LINE" :lol: yep makes sense that it gets mentioned in song. Or maybe....."WALKIN DOWN THE STREET FEELING REALLY KINDA NEAT. CAUSE I KNOW I'M LOOKIN SPORTY WITH MY SHORTY XD .40" :p Or even....." GLAD THAT I'M ALIVE WITH MY XD.45 CAUSE THAT GANGTA ON THE CORNER THOUGHT HIS TRE 8 WAS DA JIVE" :shock:

1 - 20 of 168 Posts