Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all might be a little long but thought this would be a good thing to share. I grew up in a house that didn’t like guns. My father and uncle served in the army so I was a product of the army but mother was totally against guns so I didn’t get the chance to get one till after I turned 21 and was able to get my FOID. About a year before I was able to get the FOID I had gone with a cousin and shot a 44 magnum revolver and a 1911 target model the first time shooting. From that point on I had the 1911 bug. So I saved and saved till I had enough cash to buy the pistol I had been drooling over for some time the SA loaded Champion. Went to my local Range/store picked one up. The guy was trying to sell me the accessories that came with the gun as separate, so all I got was a case the gun and a magazine not even the plastic takedown piece. I took the gun home and being a novice did not know anything was wrong. From that point I went to the range at least every other Friday and learned about firearms design/function and ballistics. It started from the beginning with failure to feed problems; I addressed this with different magazines to no avail. So I started to look at the gun and notice wear marks only on the left side and gapping issues around the slide.

Again being novice I went back to my local shop and talked to the owner (by that time I had gotten to “regular” status at the range) and asked about the pistol. He told me not to worry about it, that all pistols do it and I had to get more rounds into it to fix that failures. Fast forward 2 years and over 2,000 rounds the gun still was not feeding correctly and I had growing suspicions of the slide problem having talked to several more smiths and talking on forums. Since that point there has been about a year of down time with several moves and failed attempt at gunsmith school (no job means no $$ no $$ means no school). About a month ago it was a brother-in-law’s birthday and he wanted to go shooting, took him to the same range and had same problems. I spoke to by now a new employee of the shop who basically said that the owner was a drunk and a drug user who spoke out of his ass just to put more money into his pocket and Springfield would help. About three weeks ago I called Springfield and spoke to them and they were nothing but nice they paid for shipping and insurance so I sent it to them. To my relief they sent me a brand spanking new one accessories and all (now I have a takedown piece instead of a wire nut that I rigged to do the job).

Lacking the money to go to the range right now but you can beat I’m saving for it and will have pics. Springfield has and will always a lifetime customer. It just sucks that I am all about supporting small local business and this guy was just being an ass over a several year period taking my money and not caring. Lesson learned shoot first then buy.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Great story, Springfield Armory excels in Customer Support, some Local Gun Shops, typically not so much! Live and Learn, glad it worked out for you. Nice 1911 gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow that's awesome.

Go Springfield!!!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
find a new shop.

I'm very picky about where I go.

If the counter people are smug pricks and act like I'm clueless, I'll pass.

After I put them in their place.

Thankfully there's more than one good shop around but if anyone's in the Nashville area, you can't go wrong with Guns and Leather in Greenbrier TN.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hey! Glad you got it running. What range/gun store do you go to? I live in NW Ill and want to make sure I never go to that place. Trying to sell you the extras that come with teh gun?!? He sounds like a a**hole to me.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Love that story. I bet you had one big ole shat eating grin on your face when you got a brand new pistol back from SA.

Working and saving for one pistol makes it really special. enjoy your new baby! ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey! Glad you got it running. What range/gun store do you go to? I live in NW Ill and want to make sure I never go to that place. Trying to sell you the extras that come with teh gun?!? He sounds like a a**hole to me.
Place called Maxons...its pretty much the only place around the area and for the longest time I live 5 min away

·
Registered
7 Posts
find a new shop.

Thankfully there's more than one good shop around but if anyone's in the Nashville area, you can't go wrong with Guns and Leather in Greenbrier TN.
The one in Hendersonville is great too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have six pistols from SA and have been very pleased with them. I'm fortunate to have a few good shops near me as well an excellent internet source - Ozark Guns.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Great to hear! So far knock on wood I haven't had any issues with my 3 Springfield guns but it's nice to know they are backed up!

I hate bad gun stores! I just had one claim they basically couldn't get any of the 1911's I asked about without like a 7 month wait but they could get me a $2,700 Nighthawk 1911! I called another dealer and they got me the much cheaper one I wanted in a week.

L

·
0 Posts
find a new shop.

The one in Hendersonville is great too.
G&L gets all my gun business. Great prices and great guys too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad to hear the Springfield CS took care of the issue. I have nothing but praise for that part of their business. I wish other manufacturers were as good as they are.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all I thought I should do an update since I just posted this on another thread..
At first I was happy, hey a brand new pistol right, Wrong. My original champion was bought when Springfield was at my LGS and was a pro shop special with match barrel and polished guide ramp and lightened trigger. So I contacted Springfield and spoke to the same rep who was not happy to hear me basically telling me my original was destroyed and could not verify that, they were very busy and in the process of a move. It took a week of arguing and her tracking the SN and speaking to the gunsmith only then she told me that the smith remembered the barrel being different and the SN verified that it was a pro shop special but I would have to pay for shipping. A month lather I got the pistol back with my OLD (destroyed) barrel and invoice stating they installed the old barrel..everything looks good but the barrel link sticks slightly but there is no way I'm sending it back I figured good lube and 500 rounds or so will fix that

·
Premium Member
127,178 Posts
Wow, what a tale!

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's crazy. You'd think they would have realized it wasn't a normal pistol.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Congrats! It won't be your last. :)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Springfield does have great customer service.

Two other gun companies that have excellent customer service and I have had some great dealings with are Ruger and Smith & Wesson.

I won't go into details but I will say both went above and beyond and fixed things for free that they really did not have to fix.

Like Springfield....Ruger and S&W will always get my business.

- brickboy240

1 - 17 of 17 Posts