Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cleaned my 40sc. But was wondering why not tear it down completely to clean every little part? I'm sure there is a reason but enlighten my on the subject.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
As long as you can put it back together go for it.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Well, cleaning every little part isn't going to get you anything other than an education on needing a plastic bag to disassemble guns and you will probobly create more wear on the parts that you would really rather have stay tightly bonded.
Having said that, go for it, I guarantee you will learn a lot if this is your first pistol. There seem to be plenty of videos on how to get it all back together as long as you have all the parts. ( don't lose that little spring in FRONT of the striker )

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
This is pretty suggestive. There really is no reason to not tear it down, if it's something you're comfortable doing. I personally never felt the need to go past field-strip for cleaning purposes.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Most manufacturers do not recommend it. Mainly because it's just not necessary, some parts are hard to get out/back in and get damaged easily in the process.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just cleaned my 40sc. But was wondering why not tear it down completely to clean every little part? I'm sure there is a reason but enlighten my on the subject.

Too much work. Just spray the innards with non-clorinated brake cleaner, followed by a light spray of BreakFree. Wipe up the mess up and you're done with it.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I think everyone should tear down their pistols at least once. It gives a much better understanding of the mechanics of the pistol itself. Also if something breaks you understand how to fix it. Likes everyone should build an AR15 from scratch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I say it's not necessary, same line of thinking, I'm not going to tear down my car completely so I can understand the mechanics or how to fix it. Just don't see the benefit and I drive my car everyday

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Comparing a car to a gun is a bit extreme. Guns are made as simple as possible with the minimal of parts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Comparing a car to a gun is a bit extreme. Guns are made as simple as possible with the minimal of parts.
The concept is still the same, a car and a gun should work without having to clean every little part regardless of how many parts are in it. Tearing it down one time to understand the mechanics in case you want to fix it, fine. But doing it on a constant basis is not necessary unless you enjoy doing it for fun. Frankly I would be worried about depending on a firearm I had to fully disassemble every time I had to clean it. They are made with minimal parts so they can function in extreme conditions for the most part. But everyone's use may vary, for all I know the OP is running through the jungle, rivers, mud, monkey dung, and quicksand. In that case, fully tear it down every time.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I never said it was OK to tear it completely down to clean it. I was responding to this.

I'm not going to tear down my car completely so I can understand the mechanics or how to fix it

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Stripping the slide is pretty easy, as is the frame -- except the grip safety. Mag release is only hard because of the small parts and hard to reach (and hard for old eyes to see).

If you just focus on the slide, you will be doing fine. As long as you NEVER oil the striker, you have little need to tear it down. But even one drop of oil will greatly raise the chance of grundgy goo forming in the striker channel.

A great way to improve the gun and learn about the frame is to install a trigger kit.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See I've seen videos where guys do put oil in there. When I cleaned it the first time I put a small drop. Guess I wont from now on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
^^ Now you have a reason to tear it down. :)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Lol funny. Don't think just once will cause a problem. But will keep an eye on it.
Yeah actually it can.
The oil collects powder residue and will increase the drag in the striker channel.
I've had my 9mm Service since 2006 and have only had the striker out once or twice. I buffed down some rough spots on it and sprayed it with a dry ceramic lube from Liquid Wrench. I don't have any plans to take it out again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts