Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an S&W SD9 - I have put just under 300 rounds thru it and I am consistently shooting down and left. I’m off about 3” when shooting @ 15 yards and can hardly hit the 6” target at 20 yards. I am using Winchester 115 gr. FMJ. I don’t think it should be necessary to adjust my POA to hit the target. Is there something I’m doing wrong or have there been complaints of these guns shooting low? Do I need to return the gun or move to a different grain bullet? I am dead on when shooting my brother-in-laws XDm 9, and he is shooting low as well with my SD 9. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
it's all in what your used to.

low and left is a common trigger control problem.

just because you can hit good with XD does not mean your trigger control (and grip) are equally as good with the SD9.

practice dry firing and watch the front site when the gun goes click. . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been practicing dry firing and I noticed, at first, that the front sight pulls to the right a little - I am right handed and have been working on this just about every night.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
9 times out of 10 shooting low means you're "pushing" or anticipating the recoil. My wife does the same thing. I've seen her fire off the last round, and thinking there's more in there she pulls the trigger at the same time I see her lean or "push" forward. She didn't even know she was doing it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
could be you as stated. but these sights are fixed, theres no guarantee these guns comming off the assembly line with 1 test fired round are going to be pinpoint accurate with every type of ammunition and sights that do not adjust. different bullets, different bullet weights, and shooters all alter where the bullet hits. you are also using a very light grain bullet, try shooting some 124 or 147 grain and see if your POI goes up. i seem to remember mine dropping when i went from 180 grain to 165 grain.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i shot my XDM low and left a lot in the beginning but it got better after more practice.
Still never shot it to good though lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Trigger slap.

I had it and denied it for a long time. The difference in triggers between the two guns could cover up an awful lot of the effect.

As mentioned above, try dry firing, and try with a snap cap in the magazine to see if the barrel moves as you are firing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts