Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A ANTI-REVOLVER THREAD!!!! I'm just curious to hear some reasons as to possibly why these guys chose what they did.
OK, so I'm walking into my bank this afternoon and I notice two security guards standing by the doors. Being the nosey type that I am, I check to see what they're carrying, and they both have revolvers on their belts. So, here's my question. Why, with everything that's available out there these days, would you choose to go with a revolver?
I understand the whole "carry what you shoot best" concept, but with bad guys arming themselves to the teeth, it seems that limiting yourself to 5 or 6 rounds before a reload could put you in a pretty bad spot, especially if it's what you do for a living.
Again, I'm not trying to slam revolvers. My first nightstand gun was a Taurus 65 that I still own. Just trying to understand their reasoning. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Cause they never jam.... Nuf. Said.

Kidding... I honestly do not own one. I have no right to post! : )

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Because they work for a private security company that doesn't want the liability of the guards unloading a whole magazine on somebody, so the company dictates they carry a revolver.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if it might have been company policy. Seems like they're putting their guys at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The companies are paid to provide armed guards and most of the guard weapons I've seen are older, or even used. I believe it is a financial matter for the guard companies.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Probably company issued .38s
Usually for guards that can't afford or don't want to buy their own weapon.
Also could have been specified by the site (bank in this case) that they only want them carrying revolvers.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Realize that they're there just to keep people who might be considering robbing that particualr bank to look for an easier target.

If a serious bunch came in, they're likely instructed to not resist.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Because they work for a private security company that doesn't want the liability of the guards unloading a whole magazine on somebody, so the company dictates they carry a revolver.
I know of no security company (including large national companies) that require revolvers only, but then again I'm in Texas and not in the people's republik of kalifornia so...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well the store that I purchass my TOOLs from here in Ft. Myers, I have noticed that the older guys wear revolvers and the younger guys pistols. I have never asked but have thought about it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Because only hits count and fast reloads never won a firefight.
It is about carry what you shoot best, IMHO, though those guys probably have a company mandate.

I love my XD45 and carry it as much as practical, but there are times when I need something smaller to put in my pocket, so I choose a snubbie in 357. I never feel under gunned with 5 magnum rounds...
Manual of arms is simpler too, this lends itself to a 'reaction' type weapon - squeeze the trigger and it goes bang. Every time.

·
Registered
749 Posts
For me it's the simpler weapon to operate and usually simpler to recover from a non-catastrophic failure (pull the trigger again). My wife finds revolvers unfashionable so she wouldn't carry one but if I were to pick a weapon for her it'd be a .38.

·
Registered
734 Posts
For me it's the simpler weapon to operate and usually simpler to recover from a non-catastrophic failure (pull the trigger again). My wife finds revolvers unfashionable so she wouldn't carry one but if I were to pick a weapon for her it'd be a .38.
Not saying you would... but I would advise that guys let their wives pick their own weapon. I was thinking the same thing as you... that I'd get my wife a little .38 snubbie like mine and she would love it and all would be right with the world. I'm glad she tried it out first though. After trying it out she *hated* it! She didn't like the trigger pull, she hated the feel in her hands and most importantly she just couldn't control it. She tried several other handguns and eventually came back to my XD9sc. She liked the trigger, she loved how it felt in her hands, she controlled it very well, she is deadly accurate with it and she knows the manual of arms like the back of her hand... so we got her one of her own. I just imagine how she would hate going to the range to train with a firearm she couldn't stand. However since she picked out her *own* handgun that she loves she is always asking to go to the range and practice. What would have been a cumbersome, not so enjoyable time for her has now become a FUN experience that she looks forward to every couple of weeks.

I know that is way off topic... but I would suggest letting them pick their own. Be there to answer questions but don't push them towards anything... let them gravitate on their own.

As to the OP... it could just be comfort level. Carry what you know and can accurately shoot. That may be exactly what the guards are doing!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I carry an XDsc only because it conceals better, but I really LOVE my revolvers. The design is simple and they Will ALWAYS go boom when I pull the trigger. IMHO their classic look and beauty are hard to beat. If I opened carry, it would be a revolver.....

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Florida used to have a law that private security were only allowed .38 revolvers. Different state, but it is something often associated with security.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I used to be in the "always goes boom" camp until I got my first automatic.

It always goes boom.
Give it time...All Autos will eventually have a FTF, jam, etc. That being said, I carry an Auto 95% of the time...Its just not as pretty as some of my wheelguns....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Firearms Stopping Power: A Different Perspective

Because .357 is a beast? Seriously, though, what that data should tell you is this: shootouts rarely require more than three bullets and that all of the major calibers put hurt into people but if you need to fight, get something with a whole lot more barrel.

That and the only ball ammo you use should be buckshot.

But yeah, they're probably carrying revolvers because they're cheap (while still being statistically significant contenders).

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Many states have laws defining exactly what (maximum) caliber and type of weapons can be carried by armed secuirty. Some have differeent levels of weapons allowed for business security and what they are guarding (money or a nuke site) vs private body guards, etc. A large multi state company may just go with the most restrictive law for everyone to simplify ammo and maintenance.
Also consider their own employee usually cannot sue if injured/killed, but bystanders and sometimes even the BG can file civil damage suits. The money is insured, so bottom line is a balance of the number of robberies against insurance rate increases. For a bank the game is for deterrence to a reasonable level vs costs - not prevention.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I know of no security company (including large national companies) that require revolvers only, but then again I'm in Texas and not in the people's republik of kalifornia so...

I'm sure that not all guard companies in Ca. have this policy (as I've seen Armored car guards with semi-auto pistols), but apparently many companies do.

A few days ago, while I was waiting for my wife to do some banking, I struck up a conversation with the security guard, and asked him why he carried a revolver. He said that his company only issued revolvers because of the liability of guards "unloading their clip, and hitting a bystander". He was issued the revolver, and 3 speed loaders.

I told him that sucked he couldn't carry what he wanted as my Beretta mags hold 18 rounds, he then told me to "watch out 'cuz those things are illegal!"

When I informed him that the possession and use of Standard capacity magazines is NOT nor has ever been Illegal (and tried to explain the law), he looked confused.....

So, I believe another reason that a lot of Armed Security guards are issued revolvers is because (other than the initial 2 day firearms training and the occasional re-qualification) many of them know nothing about firearms, how they work, maintenance, or firearm laws.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts