Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, why didn't someone tell me?? Ok, so they did, but I didn't listen. After using XDs and Glocks, I forgot how it feels to get my hands on a heavier, yet more stable, handgun.

So I picked up a Sig P229r (DA/SA) with night sights. I was shocked to see how low the recoil is. And I was quick to learn that the constantly-praised Sig accuracy is NOT an exaggeration. Before this, I was using a G17 for steel plates and for carry, and while this is definitely going to replace my G17 as a carry piece, we'll see how it handles steel plates.

I guess the real test will be once I get either a Blade Tech IWB holster or a Galco Royal Guard for this, to see how comfortable it is to carry IWB for a whole day.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A heavy gun has more mass to absorb energy, but more mass means it takes more energy start and stop (ie. shooting multiple targets.) XD uses the Sig barrel design and lock-up (they barrel blanks are the same), thus they shoot VERY similarly in the accuracy department.

The added weight is not as good for daily CCW and the carry better on a service belt.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I agree...SIG P series guns are very, very good. Many here are also big fans of all things SIG.

I wouldn't own three, if I did not think so. I'd never part with my P220, P228 or P225...they're too good.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I love my 229. And it does conceal quite handily in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
My surplus P6 was my first SIG, and I've been very impressed with it. The build quality is evident when you pick it up and manipulate the slide. It's very accurate and dead-nuts reliable. The DA, even with new springs, leaves something to be desired, but it's more than functional for a truck gun.

I don't think I'd need another SIG 9mm, but I'm very interested in the P220.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've got three, a P232, P239 and a P245. The P239 is my normal carry gun. The 245 is one of my favorites, along with my XD40, of course.;)

For such a short barrel an sight radius, the accuracy of the P245 never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, a couple weekends ago, I shot in a bi-yearly steel and bowling pin shoot
in Paducah, KY. Got the results. My first time shooting competitively, I won the production semi-auto steel plate division with my G17. After feeling how much more stable this Sig is than it, I'll probably use the Sig this upcoming Sunday at another steel shoot. I'll have to figure out which one gives me better times, the light weight, or the stable.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Their 239 is my favorite ccw pistol. nice and thin, and a tackdriver even with hot .357Sig ammo. I want one in SAS, but damn they are expensive now

However, yes I sold my plastic Sig Pro the day after I bought it...POS. Glock & XD does plastic much better.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still racking my brain, trying to decide what to use on Sunday. It'll be my 2nd steel plate match ever. They've both got their pros and cons...

Sig advantages

• Stability
  • Amazing accuracy
  • Ergonomics
  • Trigger (SA)
Glock advantages

• Sight radius
  • Lightweight
  • Capacity
  • Constant trigger pull (No DA first shot)
Argh... I CAN'T CHOOSE!

I'm going to try to see how I shoot with each on Saturday, try to test various things such as recovery, stability, and target acquisition speed. I'm probably going to go with the Glock, since it's what I've already shot with once, but I'm not sure yet. I'm really loving this Sig. Practicing with my carry gun would give me the advantage of more practice with my carry piece.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Sig.........
Its a done deal now.........;)

I've never owned a plastic Sig.
Never had any intention of owning one........:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
I'm still racking my brain, trying to decide what to use on Sunday. It'll be my 2nd steel plate match ever. They've both got their pros and cons...

Sig advantages

• Stability
  • Amazing accuracy
  • Ergonomics
  • Trigger (SA)
Glock advantages

• Sight radius
  • Lightweight
  • Capacity
  • Constant trigger pull (No DA first shot)
Argh... I CAN'T CHOOSE!

I'm going to try to see how I shoot with each on Saturday, try to test various things such as recovery, stability, and target acquisition speed. I'm probably going to go with the Glock, since it's what I've already shot with once, but I'm not sure yet. I'm really loving this Sig. Practicing with my carry gun would give me the advantage of more practice with my carry piece.
Most gamers find the Glocks easier to use due to the constant trigger pull.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't hate on the plastic!! The P series gets all the glory. :cool:

We just bought one for my wife. 2022, she's in love, which means she's very happy and we all know...when mommas happy, EVERYBODY is happy!!!

Seriously though, great gun, very accurate and out of the box she shot it better and I mean 18/20 on paper at 20' compared to 2-3 on paper at 15' better. Can't explain it, but it helped that much.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My P239 is fun to shoot. I really like the SA pull on the first round.
I wouldnt mind owning one more SIG, but its a toss up between a 226, 229, or a DAK model lol. But i know it will be awhile before i buy another handgun, i'm saving for a rifle:)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
We just bought one for my wife. 2022, she's in love, which means she's very happy and we all know...when mommas happy, EVERYBODY is happy!!!
I had this made for my wife and it hangs in the kitchen...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts