Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a screwed up purchase! On Election Day, I bid on a Tactical Innovations T15 forged lower receiver for #112.95 using the "buy now" option, called the selling dealer (a gun store) and gave CC info, and had my dealer send their FFL. A week goes by and no call from my dealer. They never received the lower, so I called the gun store to see what's going on. They misplaced the FFL and didn't realize they hadn't completed the transaction. It shows up with a free 30rd Colt mag, I drive down this evening, fill out the 4473, and head home.

Then I notice the receipt. They charged me $230 for the flippin' thing!
I called and left a message requesting that they refund the difference to my CC. I got to thinking and re-checked the lower. I haven't taken the receiver out of the wrap yet (yes that was very stupid of me. It's a clear plastic, and I saw a receiver with T15 on it and didn't look closer), They sent me the T15BDX "Deluxe" Billet lower. It is definitely not what I bid on, and way more than I am willing to pay for just a lower. While some may want the billet machining, I see no need for it and was planning on spending the money on a quality trigger, or the needed repairs to my Bushnell Holosight.

Now, what is my recourse?
a) I already filled out the 4473
b) Auction said that all sales are final
c) The auction was for $112.95 + $20shipping, they charged me $215 + $15 shipping
d) They sent something I did not bid on and do not want.

This GB dealer has an A+ rating with over 1300 feedback posts. I'm going to assume that it was an honest mistake and they will try to rectify the situation (that's why I haven't posted their info), but what can be done legally since I've already taken possession of it? I'd like to send it back and get the correct one, but can my dealer legally shred the 4473 and fill out a new one when the correct receiver arrives, or am I stuck with an overpriced lower that I'll have to try and sell for what I spent on it?

Why didn't I just buy an Anvil Arms lower from the manufacturer?????

On a side note, the T15BDX is very nice! If I wanted a billet lower, I would be very happy with it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you called the seller? Maybe I missed it but that would be my first step. All sales are final doesn't usually cover mistakes on their end.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, I would try to stay calm and call them up to explain what happened.

I don't think that your dealer can do a "do-over" on the 4473, because you legally did take possession of a firearm.

But you don't get 1300 positive feedback by overcharging people for the wrong stuff. Maybe they just made a mistake with the AR-15 Craze going on lately. Maybe someone else wanted the Billet Lower and got a normal one :confused:

Give em a chance to make it right.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I left a message after I noticed their first "mistake." Unfortunately, it's their internet sales line and I had to leave a message (they weren't open at 8:30pm MST for some reason;)). Hopefully they will call me back on Saturday morning. I am pretty confident that they will work to make it right (heck, they sent a free 30rd Colt mag to make up for the late shipment!). That's why I haven't given any info on who they are.

They have a brick and mortar store, so they probably grabbed one from inventory, looked at the price & charged me for it, but didn't double-check the auction sale to make sure they grabbed the right lower. They charged me a fair price for what they sent me... I just didn't bid on what they sent me.

My concern is how I legally get my name off this lower that I don't want and never should have accepted (I know that part is my fault). I'd like to send it back, but they may have to "buy" it back since it is now in my possession. They might even be able to sell it as new, since it is still sealed in the original plastic bag, but that is their dilemma, not mine.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I left a message after I noticed their first "mistake." Unfortunately, it's their internet sales line and I had to leave a message (they weren't open at 8:30pm MST for some reason;)). Hopefully they will call me back on Saturday morning.

I am pretty confident that they will work to make it right. My concern is how I legally get my name off this lower that I don't want and never should have accepted (I know that part is my fault). I'd like to send it back, but they may have to "buy" it back since it is now in my possession. They won't be able to sell it as new, I'm thinking, but that will be their dilemma, not mine.
If they do decide to make things right (I assume they will) then just keep all copies of paperwork from start to finish for the transaction. You are not required to do anything else and should be in the clear in the future as far as I can see.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
that is a VERY sexy lower. i love it. i wanted one so bad but i just could not justify the cost.

good luck keep us informed

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is a VERY sexy lower. i love it. i wanted one so bad but i just could not justify the cost.
Neither can I. That's why I bid on the forged lower. I just don't see the need for a billet lower. I can see the benefit for having a billet upper, but the lower just holds the trigger, grip, stock, and magazine.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Just call them back and if they don't make things right...

Well, lets just assume they will fix it. Wouldn't want to get the "ATF" involved now would we ;)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
If they wont work with you, you can dispute the charges with your credit card company within 90 days. Send your CC company the paperwork and they will fight with the gunshop owner and tell your CC company you are willing to return the lower. The gun shop can take back the lower and transfer it back out of your name. "All sales are final" only works when you get what you paid for, not when it is their mistake. Good thing you did not pay cash.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
There is a lot of merit in using a local reputable dealer when it comes to firearms, IMHO. Maybe not so much for parts as is this case, but the first handgun I ever bought was at a gun show, little ability to contact the dealer for support, have always bought from local after that.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I got a bad lower that my FFL insisted on getting the transfer fee upfront, even if I rejected the lower (bastage!), so I went ahead and did the full transfer. Anyway, the seller made good, replaced the lower AND gave me a check for $25 to cover the second transfer and NICS check!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a lot of merit in using a local reputable dealer when it comes to firearms, IMHO. Maybe not so much for parts as is this case, but the first handgun I ever bought was at a gun show, little ability to contact the dealer for support, have always bought from local after that.
This is the first time I've bought one online. I've always used a local dealer (except for one Cricket youth rifle I bought at a gun show). If it were just parts it would be easy to take care of. This is the lower receiver which is considered the actual firearm and has to go through a FFL. That's what's making this more difficult to fix.

I was lamenting my dilemma to a friend this morning, and he mentioned he might buy it from me, so things may work out in the end. I'll have the gun store ship me what they were supposed to send me (paying for the new one, of course) and then sell this one to my friend. It will largely depend on if he buys it and/or what the dealer decides to do.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If the dealer gets it back, it will be written down that he aqcuired it from you, and the next buyer he sells it to will then be down for it, so you'll be clear there. That'll basically cancel it out and show you don't have it anymore.

If you sell it directly to your friend however, you'll still be the one who's going to be liable for it from now on until/if it goes back through an FFL sometime in the future.

Contact the place you bought it from first and give them a chance to fix it and then go from there with it.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The fact they added an AR mag to compensate for dorking up your order in the first place is a very solid sign they will make it right for you.

Gun stores are running ragged right now trying to keep up with demand, this stuff is bound to happen.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Also, on GunBroker if you look at your account, click on the 'Items' tab and you can view the auction as it was posted, I believe under 'View items won'. This combined with the original email notification of you winning the auction is enough to get GunBroker.com to fix the situation if the seller won't. Actually, I'm not even sure you need that email but any correspondence between you and the seller will help.

That being said, since the seller did send you a free mag to make up for the late shipping, I would imagine they would work to make this right. Who knows, if you are nice about it they might send you another free mag :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I know this isn't really the point but how do you figure the Tactical Innovations billet receivers are overpriced? Sure they are more than a forged piece, but that's comparing apples to oranges. Have you seen the 'other' billet receivers out there? They are cheap and just as good of quality, probably the best if not one of the best lower receivers that money can buy.

As far as the real problem at hand, wait and see what they do. Hopefully they'll prove their feedback and come through to fix the problem. If not, plaster their name all over the internet and dispute the charge.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, on GunBroker if you look at your account, click on the 'Items' tab and you can view the auction as it was posted, I believe under 'View items won'. This combined with the original email notification of you winning the auction is enough to get GunBroker.com to fix the situation if the seller won't. Actually, I'm not even sure you need that email but any correspondence between you and the seller will help.

That being said, since the seller did send you a free mag to make up for the late shipping, I would imagine they would work to make this right. Who knows, if you are nice about it they might send you another free mag :D
I'm going to work with the dealer directly first. If that doesn't go anywhere, then I'll get GunBroker involved. If that doesn't work, I'll dispute it with my CC company. I'm pretty confidant they'll work with me to make it right, though.

I know this isn't really the point but how do you figure the Tactical Innovations billet receivers are overpriced? Sure they are more than a forged piece, but that's comparing apples to oranges. Have you seen the 'other' billet receivers out there? They are cheap and just as good of quality, probably the best if not one of the best lower receivers that money can buy.
I never said that the TI billet receivers are overpriced. In fact, I said they charged me a fair price for the billet receiver. I just didn't bid on a billet receiver... I bid on a forged one. I personally can't justify spending that much money on a receiver since I don't see a need for a billet lower receiver, hence I bid on a forged one. If I had wanted a billet receiver, I would be very happy with what I received.

As far as the real problem at hand, wait and see what they do. Hopefully they'll prove their feedback and come through to fix the problem. If not, plaster their name all over the internet and dispute the charge.
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I'm going to spread their name no matter what. If they come through, I'll be praising their customer service to everyone. If they won't work with me, I'll dispute the charge and let everyone know they wouldn't correct their major fubar.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Filling out a form 4473 doesn't "register" the receiver in your name. The 4473 never actually leaves your dealer, and they are supposed to destroy them after a certain period of time (20 years). When they call in the background check for the transfer, they don't give any information about serial numbers or anything.

Unless you live in a State that requires registration, there is nothing that would link the receiver to you except your dealer's bound book.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Sorry about that. I must of read it wrong or too quickly, maybe even both. I swear I thought you said it was overpriced. Again, sorry. :)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about that. I must of read it wrong or too quickly, maybe even both. I swear I thought you said it was overpriced. Again, sorry. :)
You didn't read it completely wrong. At first I thought they had overcharged me for a forged receiver. Then, I discovered they had sent me a billet receiver.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts