Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like most of you, I’m hearing a lot of talk about more women officers being involved as a way to address the violence displayed by some cops. I don’t know about you guys, but every video I see where a female cop is involved in a physical altercation, they are noticeably out matched. The majority of the videos I see show female cops either standing their doing nothing (fear?), or getting shlt-whipped by someone.
I’m all for equal opportunity. But if you don’t have the ability to deescalate, AND throw a beating, you’re a liability to your partner and/or fellow officers.

thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Agreed. While I certainly agree more is OK and some can handle themselves quite well, most will need to resort to deadly force more quickly or simply not be able to stop the threat like a man could. It's certainly not the answer to the issue at hand.

Now, let me reiterate... Some females can handle it. We have a retired cop (female) in my Crossfit class. She keeps up with men half her age (weight/reps/speed). She's bad! She deserved her badge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I remember an incident where the woman cop was overcome by a prison transfer, her gun was taken and she and her partner were both killed with it. They don't have the physical strength for patrol duty in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
21,641 Posts
More women means more shootings. I think there will be a lot more cops who jump to “fear for their life” a lot faster than an man due to a physical disadvantage (in general terms).

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I agree that more women means more shooting, being physically overmatched they have to go to the guns sooner.

It's training and getting cops to no longer accept whatever is happening simply because another cop is doing it, that's what solves the problem. If one of those other cops at the George Floyd incident had told that douche to get off his neck he doesn't die, their silence was as infuriating as the smug look on the douches face.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I agree that more women means more shooting, being physically overmatched they have to go to the guns sooner.

It's training and getting cops to no longer accept whatever is happening simply because another cop is doing it, that's what solves the problem. If one of those other cops at the George Floyd incident had told that douche to get off his neck he doesn't die, their silence was as infuriating as the smug look on the douches face.
It may have been a rank problem, like the Army, you don't contradict a higher ranking soldier. There were some rookies involved. That may have been why they didn't speak up.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may have been a rank problem, like the Army, you don't contradict a higher ranking soldier. There were some rookies involved. That may have been why they didn't speak up.
That’s what I gathered from reports. Dickhead with his knee on the guys neck was in charge. And the other cops were sackless idiots.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
That's a fair point, but there needs to be some sort of attitude or training shift and it's long overdue, where cops on the scene keep each other in line. 9 friggin minutes on his neck until he was obviously dead? Bystanders screaming that the cop is killing him? And not a single cop says anything to the POS committing the murder? Like hey butthole, I think you've been on his neck long enough.

Unacceptable.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
That’s what I gathered from reports. Dickhead with his knee on the guys neck was in charge. And the other cops were sackless idiots.
In which case the other cops probably aren't criminally liable for not intervening, it's a pretty compelling argument that they were on site following the orders of their superior. But they murdered their own humanity by not doing anything and if they're decent people they'll be haunted by the fact they stood by.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
In which case the other cops probably aren't criminally liable for not intervening, it's a pretty compelling argument that they were on site following the orders of their superior. But they murdered their own humanity by not doing anything and if they're decent people they'll be haunted by the fact they stood by.
As it turned out, interfering would have been the lesser of the two evils. Being charged with murder vs a reprimand from their captain.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. If they aren’t of a rank that requires leadership, they are usually the responsibility of the senior officer.
In the business world, people that aren’t management are seen as those that take direction and aren’t in positions that speak for the business. Managers (senior officers). Managers/senior officers are held to a higher standard.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Agreed. If they aren’t of a rank that requires leadership, they are usually the responsibility of the senior officer.
In the business world, people that aren’t management are seen as those that take direction and aren’t in positions that speak for the business. Managers (senior officers). Managers/senior officers are held to a higher standard.
True, but in the business world if I stand by and someone does something unethical, even if they are above me on an org chart, I have a responsibility to say something and I'll get canned if I don't.

To my view there's a culture in the police force that you don't question each other and it needs to end, people need to be encouraged to speak out when someone else is doing something wrong even if that person is above them in rank.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, but in the business world if I stand by and someone does something unethical, even if they are above me on an org chart, I have a responsibility to say something and I'll get canned if I don't.

To my view there's a culture in the police force that you don't question each other and it needs to end, people need to be encouraged to speak out when someone else is doing something wrong even if that person is above them in rank.
Kinda, not really (first paragraph). All you would need to say if you didn’t report something is “I was afraid of retribution.” You may get a stern talking to. Or written up. But the courts tend to side in favor of the employee in cases like that. Although Florida employers have the right to hire, and the right to fire. Without cause. “Right to work state”

·
Registered
24 Posts
As soon as they get back to the roots of policing, things will get better! Our Government has put them on a pedestal for so long they think they are above the law and "Qualified Immunity" will protect them.

As soon as they are put on a level playing field with their fellow citizens, they will get the respect that goes with the badge!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I think that more cops in Internal Affairs and bidding riddance to the thin blue line are two steps that could be taken. I know that cops don't like IA, but as we see more and more the public has been left to document misconduct and they are getting better at doing so. Everybody has a high-res camera in their pocket. Good cops can stay on their beat, mediocre cops can push paper, and bad cops can pound sand.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think that more cops in Internal Affairs and bidding riddance to the thin blue line are two steps that could be taken. I know that cops don't like IA, but as we see more and more the public has been left to document misconduct and they are getting better at doing so. Everybody has a high-res camera in their pocket. Good cops can stay on their beat, mediocre cops can push paper, and bad cops can pound sand.
I would add that they should have a citizen review board that a requirement for being a member is, ZERO members that are retired cops or family of cops.

Ours is mostly either retired cops or wives of cops. I resigned because of that.

·
Registered
19,503 Posts
So like most of you, I’m hearing a lot of talk about more women officers being involved as a way to address the violence displayed by some cops. I don’t know about you guys, but every video I see where a female cop is involved in a physical altercation, they are noticeably out matched. The majority of the videos I see show female cops either standing their doing nothing (fear?), or getting shlt-whipped by someone.
I’m all for equal opportunity. But if you don’t have the ability to deescalate, AND throw a beating, you’re a liability to your partner and/or fellow officers.

thoughts?
Lots of scrawny Male cops as well, and full sized cops can't fit in the ever shrinking patrol cars, especially once equipmented up. It happened in my home town were a bunch of union crap getting involved because the city got some dinky Malibu or the like instead of the Tahoe that was needed. He isnt fat either, just something like 6'4" or so. I think he rode a desk for at least a year, possibly till he retired.

·
Registered
19,503 Posts
Agreed. While I certainly agree more is OK and some can handle themselves quite well, most will need to resort to deadly force more quickly or simply not be able to stop the threat like a man could. It's certainly not the answer to the issue at hand.

Now, let me reiterate... Some females can handle it. We have a retired cop (female) in my Crossfit class. She keeps up with men half her age (weight/reps/speed). She's bad! She deserved her badge
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Size matters. It doesn't matter how fit she is if a drunk destroys her in a fight because he is more than twice her weight.
I remember one female cop, with a huge chip on her shoulder, and pulled me over for a completely made up offense (every other time I've been pulled over in my life, there was a reason, even if it was stupid)....either one us in the van could have picked her up with one hand, then accelerated and dropped her. Every other female cop I've encountered was very much like her; an unpleasant person that would be hopelessly outclassed in nearly any physical confrontation.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Size matters. It doesn't matter how fit she is if a drunk destroys her in a fight because he is more than twice her weight.
I remember one female cop, with a huge chip on her shoulder, and pulled me over for a completely made up offense (every other time I've been pulled over in my life, there was a reason, even if it was stupid)....either one us in the van could have picked her up with one hand, then accelerated and dropped her. Every other female cop I've encountered was very much like her; an unpleasant person that would be hopelessly outclassed in nearly any physical confrontation.
I’d take a girl that knows how to fight over one that’s physically the size of her opponent. My main concern is for the ones that stand there while their partner gets his ass handed to him. Not freezing up and going into bystander mode. Or worse, can’t secure her weapon. So now you have to defend yourself and deal with whatever we shenanigans she’s now involved in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts