Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was not sure if this subject belonged here in the general section or in Don's guide rod section but...

So I have put one of Don's guide rode in my XD-40 Service (thinking about adding one to my Tactical) along with a 22lb spring. I personally think it works pretty well. Now I am getting into some local IPSC shooting and was over talking to the guys at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ and was asking if putting an after market guide rod and changing the spring rate was legal for Production or Limited 10. The said it was legal but suggested that instead of going to a heavier spring I should probably try a spring a little bit lighter than the factory spring to make getting back on target faster.

This lighter spring idea seemed counter intuitive to me as a softer spring should lower the natural frequency of the action thus slowing down the cycle rate of the weapon. It also will allow the slide to hammer the slide stops harder making the recoil whippier. But that said nearly all IPSC guys shoot light springs especially in there unlimited guns so there must be something to it that I am missing.

What says you all?

On a similar note what two parts hit in an XD when the slide stops at it most reward point. Could we design a rubber buffer similar to what is in some of the unlimited race guns so that shooting lighter spring would not cause frame damage. This might not be legal to add for a production or limited gun but might be possible in an unlimited XD.

Ramblings of the mind
mcb

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I think they are correct. I have been running 22# springs in my XDs for over a year. Two weeks ago, I replaced the 22# in my Tactical with a 16# spring. To be honest, I like it much better. The slide seems to cycle a bit easier and the muzzle doesn't drop because of the slide "slamming" into battery.

I also tested 18 and 20 pound springs in the Tactical, but felt the difference was only felt when comparing the 16 and the 22. For me, the 24 is too heavy-too hard to rack the slide.

That said, I prefer a 20# in the service model. Not sure why.

Does this help?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some competitive shooters like the lower spring weight because they feel the slide cycles faster, so they are back on target faster. That's also why in some divisions it's popular to lighten the slide.

I think most folks would agree that the most important thing is to pick the spring weight that works best for you. Get a good grip and stance, and watch the front sight lift out of the back notch when the round is released. Holding that good stance, watch the gun track back after each round. Adjusting the spring weight will affect how the gun tracks - ideally you want the gun to track right back to your original POA without you having to adjust the gun at all.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of what feels best to you, I think.

Scott

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
In my STI edge, 5" bull barrelll, 170 PF loads with zero 180 JHp's, I run a 10lb. spring with shock buffs.

My STI trojan .40, 145 pf loads, i use an 11lb spring with shock buff.

In my XD 5" tactical, i use a 14 lb spring. 145PF loads.

the spring depends on the load you are using. If you change your load, you need to change your spring. this is 'tuning' your gun.

What you do. place a target 3yards in front of you. Take a good sight picure, good grip and stance and do a double tap, don't worry about the second shot. Repeat it 2 more times to get an idea of what you are doing.

If the second shot is lower than the first, you need a lighter spring. Too high and you need a higher spring weight.

This is how you can get excellent double taps. You don't need to worry about the second shot, you know where it is going. As long as you haven't changed your grip and screwed up you index, the second shot will be there.

remember: low= lighter spring
high=higher spring.

BTW ScottQ, my name on Enos site is Bear23

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I did cut down a Wilson shock buff to fit my XD... not too hard to do.

BTW, MCB...... you'll never be able to outrun the cycle rate of your weapon.

1911's cycle in about .05-.06 of a second, Glocks and other lighter guns even faster. The best grand-masters can hit the .10 mark on a second shot, most are running .12-.15. Distance also slows things down a little.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
mcb said:
The said it was legal but suggested that instead of going to a heavier spring I should probably try a spring a little bit lighter than the factory spring to make getting back on target faster.
:the information below was given to me by an Ex Thunder Ranch instructor/Master class shooter:

weather to use a lighter or heavier spring all depends on what kind of gun you have.

an XD or a Glock you want to use a heavier spring if you want less muzzle climb and less felt recoil. why? because you have a very high grip compared to the boar axis(i think thats the term he used) which makes the slide go strait back rather than up. so putting a heavier spring will slow the slide down making it less snapy and less likely to climb.

on a 1911 for example: if you put a heavier spring on a 1911 it will increase muzzle climb. your grip is very low compared to the boar axis so when you put a heavy spring it slows the slide down, which pulls the muzzle up higher and keeps the weight of the slide at your wrist; therefore causeing your muzzle to stay in the air longer and be pulled higher.

does that answer any questions?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geat responses, thanks a bunch. I will definitely have to try the double tap drill with a couple different springs and see what happens. Where is a good source for lighter springs? Pistol-Gear or XD-HS2000 store carry a good choice of heavier springs what about lighter springs?

mullanman if you can would you be willing to show me a picture of two of you XD with the shock buffers installed. Do you know if the addition of the buffer would be legal for Production or Limited-10?

Now I have another good reason to buy some parts and head to the range and try them

mcb

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
We have a batch of 16# springs for the Tactical due in shortly. I am going to test some lighter springs, however if you go too light, the XD may not go into battery 100% of the time.

Scott

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
With a 12# of lower spring you may have problems with the gun not going into battery. I haven't had a problem with a 14 or 16's...

IMHO for those looking for better recoil control, i'd look into the tungsten GR. You can use this in USPSA but not IDPA for you compeititors. And....handloading, to get a load you like and that works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts