Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that anyone may care but it's taken a while to get to this point (lots of demos and range fees) so I figured I might as well put pen to paper and let people know what I was thinking, why I'm picking up (2) XD in 9mm (an SC and a Service).

Why 9mm:
-----------

I have an HK USP Compact 40 LEM that I carry and while I like the .40 I don't love it, my .45 is my favorite and I really like my 9mm S&W.

Practice:
I don't shoot as often in .40. With a sharper attack I find that while I can get all rounds on paper it's not as much fun as it should be, longer to reacquire the target, I don't practice as much as I should, don't place shots as well as I can. To me placement is critical, practice critical to placement.

Practicality:
In reading, looking at the math, I'm going to gain more rounds with the 9mm, pay a lower cost for ammo, have a feel akin to my .45 and have something close to a .40 in power. I know but here I'll fall into the "9 is fine" mantra.

I also feel that the SC in 9mm will not only be a nice carry piece but a fun shorty to shoot overall.

Why the XD:
--------------

Ergo:
I've shot every Poly-frame out there, other non-poly service pistols. The XD (vs the Glock especially) just points right and feels right so it all fits, for me, plus I can get to the controls. Would I like to have an ambi slide release, yes, but I think I can live without that.

Finish:
The fit and finish is really excellent which, honestly, surprised me as my HK is as tight as a Sig and I did not expect that from SA. Shake an XD and its solid - that is important.

Fast release:
I was looking for a “safe action” firearm if possible (for carry) and like the two very unobtrusive safeties on the XD. My 1911 has a grip safety which has never given me an issue and the XD grip safety is not a problem for me either.

I don’t want to wonder what state the gun is in, if I draw and pull it’s going to go bang and that is that.

Customization:
I asked a local gun shop if the XD could be customized (just a test) – the two countermen both said “no” even though SA and a couple of really good companies – with very happy customers, many on these forums – offer services to make the weapons better if the user wants them improved.

So, for me, the ability to improve the gun without radically altering it is appealing. Does SA need to get the word out about customization, maybe a little…

Warm and fuzzy:
People love their XDs. There are no excuses, no qualifiers, people just love them, have a bunch of them – have them because they want them.

I ran into a guy who just picked up a new $3K custom 1911, has a whole locker full of top shelf pistols and revolvers and you know what he spent most of the time talking about – the XC SC 9mm he rarely ever shoots.

SA:
Hard not to mention the manufacturer but they seem to have listened to their customers, fixed any issues that needed to be fixed and have made a Gen2 of the XD that carries those changes forward.

There is nothing worse than a company that does not support its own product, customers or admit when it has a problem and while I’m sure they are far from perfect they have not let the XD die on the vine which is important.

Why the XD SC:
------------------

At 5’11 I’m short and stout and want something comfortable to holster, carry.

The SC is small, has some nice mag options, shoots well and has the same fit and finish as the larger models – clearly not an afterthought. As far as a carry piece goes it’s one that I feel I can train with regularly, will age well and function when needed.

Why the XD Service:
-----------------------

Ok, so I’m on the fence with the Service vs Tactical but I can still carry a Service while a Tactical is just a bit too long for me.

Why the XD and not the XDm: Options
-------------------------------------

I’ll carry the XD9 SC and will modify a range/IDPA/Stock-Comp gun in Service size to match.

The XDm comes in two flavors 9mm and 40 while the XD comes in a range of sizes from SC to Tactical.

So it comes down to options on frame sizes and the fact that if I don’t like the XDm trigger (which feels close to the XD trigger…) I’m still getting it redone which means that I’m still putting $$ into something that was initially more expensive and putting that $$ into the part that was supposed to be better.

With the range of options I can have a clutch of weapons which share many of the same parts allowing more portability in training, muscle memory, ammo, etc. Plus it’s much more likely that only one will be down at a time allowing me to maintain my carry status.

Any reservations?
-----------------

One thing that caused me to pause is the lack of use by Armed Forces, LEOs, etc. I do think that is an issue in a Service grade pistol, the lack of penetration and day to day use is a concern.

The other is the trigger. I just don’t like the stock trigger as much as with the Sig. Every XD owner I spoke to and whose gun I shot who had the trigger redone said it would be like butter and they are right. While I’m not a fan of staged triggers (I pull, it goes bang) as finger on the trigger equals immediate intention to release a round it’s just something I’m going to have to get used to – a new adventure.

What I’m going to do to them:
-----------------------------

I will get a Crossbreed holster or two for carry purposes, extra mags, snap caps, etc.

I’m going to send my pistols off to Springer (I don’t know Scott but they seem to be well regarded, do nice fast work & do work that lasts) to have the triggers redone with a combat carry job and have a factory clean up.
I’ll most likely put sights on them but I’m in the air about that.

I don’t like the rubber grips so I’ll leave them alone, the guns will be all black so I don’t have to worry about any fancy finishes to take care of.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Lots of time and thought went into this post. Sounds like you have considered all the options and made a sound decision. Welcome to the XD world.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Lots of thought in that post...and a great read.

Don't worry about the LEO and military choice...they are brainwashed to what they use now. With the military it comes down to what manufacturer offers the best deal.

I have a service and a sc in 9mm and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Want cheaper ammo than 9mm? Reload your 9mm cases...it cut about $7 off a box of 100 for me.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very nice post. I would have to say that I like your thinking on just about every topic you brought up!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome :D

Guess I'm not the only one who read that and thought- Get out of my head!.

It seems many a thinking man around here has reached the same conclusions about XD's.

I have the XD9sc and XD9service also, hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is a very well thought out and written post with the pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good post, I'll refer a friend to this as I'm tryin to talk him into a SC9. As for the second XD, I'd say go with the tactical. Then you've got both ends of the spectrum. You noted that you could still carry the service... if mag capacity is the only reason, then just carry the SC with the extended magazine. Most people at the range notice little to no difference in accuracy between the 3" and 4" models, so I doubt you'll notice any difference in a defensive situation. The Tactical could be more of a nightstand/range gun... ultimately go with what feels better and more balanced to you, but to me I'd prefer the Tactical. Again, great post.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My 9sc is what made me like XD's. It was that impressive to me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good post. I'm still trying to figure out this whole .40 having to much sting. A 9mm with hollow points, will have just as much if not more recoil then a .40.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Good post. I'm still trying to figure out this whole .40 having to much sting. A 9mm with hollow points, will have just as much if not more recoil then a .40.
No they don't.....
It isn't STING.
It is snappy recoil with too much upward muzzle flip with the 40cal.
My 9mm +P loads don't have near the snappy recoil & muzzle flip that the 40cal has in the same pistol.
I've read your posts and you are very focused on your 40cal round.
And that is fine.
But even the hottest 9mm load has better felt recoil than the any 40cal I've ever shot.
And I've even sold a Sig P229 in 40cal for that very reason.
The 357Sig has better felt recoil than the 40cal.
A hot 9mm or 357Sig has a sharp and fast recoil, not a snappy, jumpy one.
I don't think being an HP over a FMJ has anything to do with recoil..:confused:
But whatever works for you is fine by me Brother..:mrgreen:

Not that anyone may care but it's taken a while to get to this point (lots of demos and range fees) so I figured I might as well put pen to paper and let people know what I was thinking, why I'm picking up (2) XD in 9mm (an SC and a Service).

Why 9mm:.
Great post gork.;)
At one time I had both the XD9 service and the XD9sc.
But at the range it was like shooting the same pistol.
So I sold the service and bought an XD45 compact.
But, being you have different uses for each pistol, I say go for it.
Out of the three XD pistols I've owned, the only one I held on to is the XD9sc.
I used to be my main carry gun.
All my carry guns are 9mm.
With today's modern HP ammo, 9mm is quite sufficient.....IMHO
And it is cheaper to shoot..........:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm not knocking the 9mm round. I own a 9mm myself. For self defense though, I'll trust my .40. This is speaking from military experience. I guarantee I can get my .40 on target just as quick as a 9mm. Also yes it depends on what load you are shooting, when it comes to felt recoil.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I shoot a 9mm and .40 both service and even with light loads the 9mm has less recoil. It's not as snappy. I carry a my .40 but I do also like to carry the 9mm sometimes because it seems less bulky and heavy. Might just be me though.

I've been looking into a compact to carry during summer, mainly in 9mm. I haven't seen a XD at the local store but I did try a Walther PPS. Single stack and very light and thin.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well from my experience, and training I trust my life more with a .40 then I ever will a 9mm. Shot placement is number 1, but I trust the stopping power of a .40 over a 9mm. I have shot my dads XD .357 serice, and in no way does it have less recoil then a .40. I do not notice it at all, and can place my second shot very quickly.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
.357sig has different recoil and muzzle blast than a 9mm para.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I know the .357 has a different muzzle blast then a 9mm. I was comparing the .357 to the .40 in terms of felt recoil.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sorry, I thought were were discussing 9mm par and .40 recoil, didn't know it had changed to .357sig and .40.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Enough already you guys, everyone knows that:

1) 9mm is for weenies
2) .40 is snappy and uncontrollable
3) 45 will grow your weenie

Take your pick.

:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts