Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an XD site, so please don't state the obvious. :) I already own a XD-SC9 and I am contemplating getting into IPSC. A friend of mine showed me some videos and it looks pretty cool. I would want to be in the "Service type" category whatever that is called. I don't want optics or any other crazy stuff, just a real gun I could use outside of competition as well.

Anyway, in considering this and doing a bit of research, it seems the MOST popular platform for this is the Glock 17. I don't own a Glock and honestly haven't really given them a chance. When I bought my XD, I just liked it the minute I picked it up. :D So, assuming I go and try a Glock 17 and a 5" XD and like them both, what are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've owned both and as far as I'm concerned, there is no advantage for either for as stock gun. Just depends on what fits you better
Glock however has a much better availability of parts in the aftermarket, plus they make a 10mm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I expected there to be more differences. :) Now I'm gonna have to try them both at my range and see which feels best. I'm betting it will be the XD (since I like my SC9 sooo much).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Grip angle is a problem with the Glock for me. Glocks point high for me so I sold my G-34 and bought a XD tac 9mm. Works much better for my style of shooting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, I'm an IPSC Newbie too, but if your going to run production class, you are limited to 10 rounds anyways.

Why don't you take your XD9SC to a match and try it out? All stock XD's except for ported are on the production list.

Don't worry about being fast, just be accurate and smooth, and Remember all your safety rules.

A stage doesn't look that hard, and its really not. But just try to keep a cool head with all those people watching you :D you will have a blast. It's really fun.

But, this sounds like you need an excuse to buy a new gun :mrgreen: So just get what you like best 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems to me Production is the way I would want to go. I don't want optics, nor to make this into some uber gun only designed for competition (though I will probably in the future do some stuff to it to supe it up a bit while still keeping the ability to use it for HD). I THINK if I read it correctly you can get away with "less powerful" ammo in the Production class than you can in the others? That way you can load up relatively light loads which puts you back on target faster.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think in production class you are limited to the minor power factor anyways. So if that is the case and you shoot better with lighter loads, then you get an advantage.

IIRC, and please someone with more experiance stop me if im wrong, but IPSC rewards shooters with more points if they are using a higher powered round. From my orientation meeting, the three principles of IPSC are power, speed, and accuracy. The way to win is to max out all three.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Minor power factor is minimum (125pf) all production is scored minor regardless of caliber in IPSC not sure about USPSA . If you don't make 125pf you shoot for no score, we had a guy go to Thailand last year for the Australasian Championships and he did not make minor pf.

Terry

·
Premium Member
127,089 Posts
I have used a G17 and a XD9 Tactical in IDPA and USPSA competition. Both performed flawlessly, but I prefer the grip angle on the XD.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I like using my stock XD9 5" Tactical for both IDPA and USPSA. The guys that shoot .40 and up in production class USPSA are in major. The 9mm is in minor, penalized more for inaccurate shots. I started out with the Glock 17 before going with the XD. I liked the feel and "pointability" a lot better than the Glock. That being said, some prefer their Glocks, it's a matter of personal preference. In any case the matches are great a fun and training tool.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Out of the box, I think the Glock is a better gun. If you are willing to spend some money on modifications, then the XD is the way to go.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I'd say it really comes to to parts availability (if you're going to heavily modify it) and preference. Shoot both and pick the one that best fits your criteria (i.e. price range, comfort, gun ability, availability of parts, availability of accessories, etc.)

·
Registered
841 Posts
You can't go wrong with either for IPSC. Obviously, aftermarket accessories are more plentiful for the Glock, but the XD parts are really starting to catch up.

Personally, I prefer the balance and feel of the Glock. The grip angle felt odd for me when I first bought the gun, being that I'm a 1911 man, but I got used to it in no time. I'd still prefer it be the angle of the XD, though. I shoot the G17 because it also gives me an additional division to shoot in for IDPA. If you're sticking to IPSC-only, go for what you shoot better. But IDPA, Glock has the advantage of being able to compete in both SSP and ESP.

The trigger between the two is really a matter of opinion. Personally, I'm pleased with both the XD trigger and the Glock trigger.

That being said, the ambi mag release is a HUGE advantage in the corner of the XD for all the lefties who don't like to use their left index finger to push the magazine release.

The Glock's real advantage is the ease of detail stripping. Replacement parts is also a huge advantage in Glock's corner. Personally, out of all the firearms that I've had the pleasure of owning, I've found that the 1911 and the Glocks are the easiest to completely detail-strip down using a minimal amount of tools. (Only a punch and screwdriver for the Glock, and only a tool for the grip screws on the 1911)

I've had XDs and Glocks, and there has been one constant between every single one that I have owned... not one malfunction... ever. That's not to say that it can't happen, but it hasn't happened to me. I'm pleased with both guns. My biggest regret was selling my XD-9 SC and my G19, though I sold them and replaced them with my Sig P229.

I'll spare you the cliche of "try them both and use which is better" by saying if you can't decide... flip a coin! They'll both be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts